vw passat batt life - gasoil
How long can I expect the battery to last? It is just comming up on 4 years old the car starts no problem, but if it's not started for a couple of days it sounds if it is cranking a bit slow and the stop sign on the multi fuction display illuminates briefly. The car is a 2000 passat 115pd it has done around 48,000 miles.

Thanks in advance!
vw passat batt life - DL
You can't really give a definate time period for a battery; some fail within a year whilst others soldier on for 10 years.

I'd find a decent well equipped workshop to just test it for you under load conditions. That should put your mind at rest.

VAG batteries are usually pretty good, so I'd be suprised to see it being faulty after 4 years......
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
vw passat batt life - Altea Ego
Probably worth taking off the battery leads, and cleaning the terminals, putting some waterproof gunk (I use vaseline but people have other ideas) on and tightening up again. Dont forget your radio code.
vw passat batt life - DL
If the car is serviced correctly - this should be done as a matter of course..but I bet it isn't!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
vw passat batt life - gasoil
Spoke to vw agent today tells me batt life around 3 years! and the ecu records voltage when car is stopped and if the voltage has dropped when car is restarted it brings on the stop sign! So looks kike I have to fork out for new batt!
vw passat batt life - Dynamic Dave
Spoke to vw agent today tells me batt life around 3
years!

That is very poor considering a lot of battery manufacturers are giving them 3 yr warranties.
vw passat batt life - Aprilia
Just swapped out a Mercedes battery (Hoppecke manf.) that was the original 1989 factory fit!
Got two Nissans at 5 years old - both original batteries and performing 100%.
The old VW and Merc. batteries used to last years - but I guess they figured out how to stop that!
vw passat batt life - doctorchris
Just replaced the battery on my diesel Terrano after 4.5 years and 46,000 miles. Reasonable I feel due to a lot of stop start driving and a big diesel engine to turn over. I was pleasantly surprised to pay only £50 with 3 year guarantee.
vw passat batt life - wemyss
Battery still going strong on my wifes 1993 Maestro diesel.
mainly stop/start and short journeys.
Tempting fate of course by saying this and half expect it not to start today.
It is a sealed for life battery but for some years now have prised the cover off and topped it up periodically which may have extended its life.
vw passat batt life - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
VW Mark 3 diesel, battery failed suddenly at ~ 5 year old.
BMW K75 bike was on it's original battery until 13 year old.
Bateries generally last better nowadays , in the 70's 3 years was pretty good.
vw passat batt life - Roger Jones
Another related thread:

tinyurl.com/3ahp7
vw passat batt life - Sooty Tailpipes
If you don't like breaking down, and can afford it, just replace the battery when the warranty runs out, usually 2-4 years. I treat them as service items, because 80% of breakdown callouts are caused by flat batteries. COSTCO cash and carry www.costco.co.uk/ sell very cheap BOSCH SILVER batteries, the one I paid £85 for at my local factors is £45 at COSTCO! DMAN,

If you have a banger and can risk breaking down, you may prefer to be driven by failure.
vw passat batt life - Victorbox
Just replaced my Vauxhall battery (AC Delco) after 15 years & 1 week! My wife's old Nova AC Delco battery lasted 17 years. Hopefully the new Vauxhall battery should see my Cavalier past its 30th birthday. As original fit - 44Ah and only £33.
vw passat batt life - Solunauk
Maybe your Passat battery is not holding its charge because the plates have become sulphated. Has it been left to stand for long periods? The stuff sold here is claimed to help:
www.pureresearch.co.uk (scroll down the page)
.... but haven't tried it myself. If you give it a go, let us know if it works.
vw passat batt life - Sooty Tailpipes
Oh that sounds a bit like the BATT-AID sp? tablets you could yet years ago. They used to 'perk up' old truck batteries we used as leisure batteries.