XJ6 or a XJ8 - Pilgrimdiva
I am thinking of buying a Jaguar for my next car i will have about £8000 to spend which will buy me one of the last XJ series or one of the early XJ8's and was wondering what would be the best buy , i have heard that the Jaguar V8 engine did have some problems when they where first came into production can any one advise me on what car i should go for and any tips when buying one of these models.

Thanks
XJ6 or a XJ8 - Arfur
Speaking as a non-Jaguar owner (but someone who always ends up looking at them a car change time) the XJ8 has a nicer more modern interior and I'd be tempted to look at these on this basis alone. The early 8 pots apparently suffered from a problem with Nikasil lined bores which may result in them starting to burn a lot of oil. If I'm right this was down to the level of sulphur in our petrol. A wiser man that me may know some way of identifying an engine which is suffering from worn bores. I believe that if the engine is still alright now then it is unlikely to go.
That said there may be some value in looking for an pukka XJ6(X300) rather than a bottom book XJ8(X308?).