Megane Alternator problem - Leapy
My T-Reg Renault Megane had its annual service (60K) in mid January at the local Renault main dealer as usual. Yesterday a loud whirring noise like a hairdryer started coming from the engine. We stopped immediately. The RAC man came out and said it sounded like a worn alternator idler pulley - it could be driven a short distance to the garage for repair. Later that same day, with a loud clunk the car gave up the ghost - battery light on, power steering off etc. Clearly a related alternator problem. The next RAC man said that the drive pulley on the alternator had gone - the attaching bolt was loose and appeared to be extremely worn - it was clear that it had been like that for some time. He assured us that he would point it out to the Renault garage when he towed it there. The same Renault garage are now quoting us over £500 + labour for a new alternator - because, as the car has air-con, it requires a higher spec alternator. What's going on? The service wasn't cheap but this is something else. Should the service have picked this up?
Megane Alternator problem - RichardW
I think from your message that the pulley has come unbolted from the alternator, wrecking the pulley and / or shaft? It is unlikely that this was disturbed during the service, and wouldn't be checked - they would probably just check the belt condition / tension. The only reason they might have disturbed it is if it was necessary for a cam-belt change (if you had that done). Sadly I think you will have to chalk it up to experience. However, £500 for a new alternator IS outrageous! I got a recon one for a BX TD for about £60 about 3 years ago - and that's a beefy alternator. I would thank the Renault garage for their work so far and settle any bill then arrange to get it taken / take it (note you can drive it without the alternator belt attached, the steering will just be heavy - provided you check that the water pump is not driven by that belt, or a vacuum pump for the brakes if it's a diesel - and it's not too far as eventually you will flatten the battery) to an independent and have them fit a recon or pattern alternator - it will be much cheaper!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Megane Alternator problem - Leapy
Cheers for this. Outrageous was what I was thinking too.
It's being towed from the Renault dealer to an independent as we speak.

These dealers do seem to count on a certain amount of inertia from punters don't you think?
Megane Alternator problem - Mikey Jay
Try to contact Sovereign rotating electronics who were on 01243 840303 or find their website. Ask them if they can help. I have used their exchange units before and found their recon alternator satisfactory and good value.
Megane Alternator problem - Ivor E Tower
There has been a recall on the Megane for faulty alternator pulleys. Was yours a gold one (pulley colour)? Check with Renault UK, my Scenic was done a few years back at no cost to me.