Rover 220 Turbo (T-Series) piston rings - MarkSmith
Hi folks,

Anyone able to advise or comment on this please?

Rover 220 Turbo Coupe in for a new head gasket. Only symptom of a problem was major oil leak from the head/block join, usual place for these engines. No performance problems, excess smoke or anything else that I was aware of. Small coolant leak (perhaps 1 litre per 6000 miles).

They have done a leakage test on the cylinders - fluid into spark plug holes, pressurise, and see what happens. Fluid leaked out in less than an hour which (they say) means the piston rings are not sealing as they should. They therefore advise new piston rings.

They say that if I don't have this done, the chances are that (because of the new, good seal around the head) the freshy rejuvenated compression will blow the piston rings and they'll have to get the head off again to sort it out. Therefore best to replace piston rings now, while the head is already off.

I'm waiting for quotes for this, but does anyone have any opinions? Does it sound like a reasonable recommendation? Are they just digging for more work? Anything I should be careful of?

(Only thing I can think of is what if they replace the piston rings and then it turns out the bores need to be rebored or something - could this be one of those things which goes on and on, more and more work?)

I won't express any opinion on this garage as I want comments based on technical merits, not whether or not they are "out to get me". :-)

Thanks chaps!
-Mark
Rover 220 Turbo (T-Series) piston rings - owen
I would have thought that once the head is off, there is little extra work in changing the rings, but i must confess i'm not an expert! I would base your decision on cost, and how long you plan to keep the car. If you're going to hang on to it for a while, then it may be worth it for the peice of mind that it should go on to last for a good few years?
Rover 220 Turbo (T-Series) piston rings - John S
Mark

My initial reaction is that correcting a minor head gasket leak to a cylinder is going to make absolutely no difference whatever to the peak combustion pressures, and correcting it will therefore put no more stress on the piston rings. The major leak you decribe appears to be from the oilway to the outside, so probably didn't affect the cylinders anyway.

As for the fluid test of piston rings it depends entirely on the fluid used. Have you any idea of the fluid or the pressure used? Piston rings are never going to seal for any period against a thin fluid like paraffin under any pressure, but could hold for quite a while with engine oil and low pressure.

I presume a 'standard' compression test wasn't done before removing the head, which is a pity as the wet/dry test normally shows if the rings are OK. If I'm assuming that oil consumption was reasonable, and that the bores look OK. If so,I wouldn't like to suggest rings are changed based on the test methods used.

Regards

John S
Rover 220 Turbo (T-Series) piston rings - dieselhead
My understanding is that a leakage test would require the cylinder to be pressurised, then by knowing how much air is supplied to maintain pressure leakage rate can be determined. Hissing from the exhaust/inlet manifold would indicate the valves required attention. If the garage added oil and then claimed the leakage rate dropped significantly then you would have a ring sealing problem. IMO the amount of fluid leaking away doesn't tell you anything.

Also if the head gasket is being changed to correct an oil leak then I doubt there is a major cylinder pressure leakage issue. Any additional loading on the piston rings is going to be neglible.

If the rings are indeed excessively worn you would notice the usual blue exhaust smoke or heavy fuming from the engine crankcase which you didn't mention. Not very common in modern engines.
Rover 220 Turbo (T-Series) piston rings - quizman
My brother in law had trouble with the pistons on his 16000 mile Rover 45, even though he had the oil changed twice.
Instead of repairing it under warrenty, the dealer offered him a good deal on a new 45, which he bought.
What he will do when Rover go under I do not know.
It seems the only people to do well under the Rover buy out are the Four millionaire owners.
What a mess.
Rover 220 Turbo (T-Series) piston rings - Civic8
I think the test would more than likely show up a sealing problem with the valves.I may be wrong here but I think they suffered exhaust valve carbon up which prevented the valve from closing properly.there is a sollution by renewing the valves as the newer/replacements had a slight taper in the stem allowing carbon build up without any sealing problems.but the seals had to be replaced as well.I doubt whether the leak would be heard
with the manifolds on but then doubt you have a problem.
tend to go with dieselhead
Hi,

I got the details of the leakage test wrong. Here's what they did:
Head off, pour some liquid onto the pistons, wait for it to drain through. No pressurising, just gravity.

They say that some cars, even old ones, hold the liquid for days or weeks. Apparently it's not a test which all cars fail.

It seems I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. If I have the work done (basically a complete engine rebuild) I have a good engine which will almost certainly outlive the car. If I don't have it done, they have advised me that it needs doing, and it's on my head if it goes wrong. Then I end up paying for two head gasket jobs.

Interesting that no one I have spoken to about this (which includes the AA) has ever heard of this type of leakage test. I wonder whether it's really proving anything. Any of you heard of it before?

Cheers,
Mark
Mark

Pressurised or not this test depends entirely on what 'liquid' is used. As the head is off have you been able to check the condition of the bores? Only if they are showing negligible wear would a ring change be advisable - if they are worn it's really time for a rebore and pistons.

The fact remains that changing a head gasket, even with a small leak, won't put any more stress on the piston rings, and the garage is completely wrong to suggest it will.

If you're satisfied the engine ran well and didn't burn oil, you're probably OK to ignore the rings, but you're the only one who can make that judgement.

Regards

john S

Rover 220 Turbo (T-Series) piston rings - DL
Nope! Never heard of it done this way!

Sounds a bit Heath Robinson to me.

I'd only take readings from a compression test, nothing else.

Just have it put back together and all should be well.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Thanks all for your input. I have also spoken to a number of garages, engine rebuilders, enthusiasts and even a guy who works exclusively on these engines. Without exception everyone thinks that the price is ludicrous and that the diagnosis is "questionable" at best.

So I have lost confidence in this garage, and will be making alternative arrangements. I'm currently trying to think of a way of telling them this, considering that they have my car, and in a large number of pieces at that.

Thanks all
Mark (rather stressed and considering buying a push bike)
Rover 220 Turbo (T-Series) piston rings - Cyd
Piston rings have a split in them which allows them to be opened when they are fitted to the pistons. The two ends will have a small gap between them once the piston is fitted (the engine specs in Haynes give this gap as 0.25 to 0.50mm depending on which of the three rings it is). The piston ring groove also has a clearance to the ring of 0.05 to 0.09mm.

So, depending on what fluid is poured into the bores, it is almost certain to drain into the sump at some rate or other. The gas tight seal you need when the engine is running is provided by a very thin oil film as the rings are pushed down and outwards on the compression stroke. Even so this seal isn't totally 100%.

I would not trust this test. Only test to trust is a proper compression test carried out on a warm engine just after shutdown.

Have you been able to look at the condition of the cams and the cam housing whilst it's in bits. I have the same engine as you (in an 820 VS) and the inside of my cam covers is spotless, with no wear on the cam lobes visible to the naked eye. this on a 130k motor. What this tells me is that the previous owner changed the oil frequently and used good stuff (I also know this because he's a long standing family friend and is a car nut too). More importantly i take this good news as an indication of the general state of the rest of the engine (especially the turbo bearings) in addition to other factors (performance against the clock, no oil burning, good starting etc etc). The overhead cam area is prone to sludging up on a poorly looked after engine, 'cos it's the area that gets hot last and has the least oil feed.

So, look at the cam area of your motor, along with the condition of the bores. You should still be able to discern some honing marks and might just be able to feel a very slight ridge with your thumb nail where the top ring reaches. If all appears well here and around the cam, then I would say it is unlikely you need new rings.

Pay the garage for the work they have done and find somewhere else to do the rest. Phone around and find somewhere before imparting the good news to the garage, not everywhere wants to do half a job.
You may find it hard to get another garage to finish off the job
as most do not like putting others problems right.I would let them finish the job as they did say it was up to you whether you had the work done so I would just say to them I`ll risk it
bearing in mind as it is in bits you will have to pay for recovery from one garage to another.unless you tow it yourself
or get someone else to do it that you know.As the other posts have said I have never heard of ring testing done in that manor.but then if rings are worn you normally burn oil all the time.
Hi,

I think I have found an engine reconditioner near me who will take on the work. I am prepared for some trouble when it comes to the current garage billing for the work they've done, but I really don't think there is a choice because their quote is £1000 more than anywhere else. The more I investigate, the more it seems just to be a number plucked out of the air. Everyone else's estimates and quotes are at least in the same region and theirs is double anyone else's.

It's up to me whether I have the work done, but if it needs doing it needs doing. My objection is playing twice as much to have it done as it is worth.

I'll just have to pay for recovery and be done with it. It's not ideal but there is really no sensible alternative.

Thanks very much for everyone's help!

Mark
Rover 220 Turbo (T-Series) piston rings - DL
So you're just going to have the cylinder head refitted, with a new gasket and a dollop of sealant* around the oilway then?

*Loctite 574 works well here, believe me.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
How much do they want for doing the head gasket?
I am waiting for a quote for head gasket only. Previously they wouldn't be tied to a price in case more work was required. This may be a little dodgy - why not quote for the simple job with the proviso that this is only for that job? But anyway...

The written quote from the engine rebuilder (when I got it) was avtually double his original phone price. Considering the cost and hassle of moving the car, it would hardly save me anything.

I think I will either get the original garage to do the whole job (even though their labour time of 30 hours is totally rediculous and they won't negotiate) or get them to put the head back on and take my luck, depending on the costs.

Not at all happy with it as the absolutely unanimous opinion is that they are taking the micky with their job time, but I am basically snookered.

I'll keep you posted...

-Mark
No sooner had I written that than...

Putting the head back on (new gaskets (obviously), lapping the valves in, new valve stem oil seals, new belts and tensioner, oil, filter, coolant: £643

The above plus new piston rings: £1673

£1030 extra for piston rings which no one else thinks I need.

Anyone got any words of wisdom before I tell them to just put the head back on?

Thanks,
Mark
Rover 220 Turbo (T-Series) piston rings - Mark (RLBS)
>>Anyone got any words of wisdom before I tell them to just put the head back on?

Yes, don't darken the door step of that particular garage again.
Rover 220 Turbo (T-Series) piston rings - Malcolm_L
If the garage do the work they originally quoted you for replacing the piston rings won't involve taking the head off again (unless the bores require work).
Rings are usually replaced by dropping the sump and removing each piston/con-rod in turn and replacing the rings.

Highly improbable that worn rings would affect the work done by the garage, in the event of any future problems, i.e. headgasket failure they would have to prove that the rings caused the failure and not their faulty workmanship.

Sorry that you're committed to this garage as they sound a bit wild west to me.

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for the comments. Far from being Wild West I think the garage are completely overkill. They want it to be perfect, like the day it left the factory. That's simply not an economically sensible approach on a nine year old car.

I understand pistons can be withdrawn from below, but I believe it is (to all intents and purposes) necessary to rehone the bores when you replace piston rings. Can this rehoning be done from below?

If it can, that completely solves my problems - I can do the work at a later date. In fact they were a bit naughty not to tell me this. All assuming it can be done from below, of course.

By the way, they are suggesting that the head repairs (specifically relapping the valves) will increase compression back to its original level, and this will excentuate any hidden problem with the rings. So they're saying the head will blow the rings and not the other way round.

Regarding having to prove anything, in my experience the burden on proof is 100% on the customer, and not at all with the garage. They (not talking about one garage in particular here) simply deny responsibility and as a customer there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Thanks for your input! Appreciate it all!

-Mark
Mark

If you do have to go for the new rings later it is a head-off job, I'm afraid. Pistons will be usually be withdrawn from the top, and the honing would certainly be done from the top.

It's often said a valve job on an old engine causes problems. However, unless the valves are really bad, it won't greatly increase combustion pressures, and those depend anyway on your right foot. So, drive it sensibly and you'll be OK. It's where the boy racers do a valve job, and then proceed to thrash the engine that problems occur.

Regards

John S
Hi John,

Bit worrying that you say a heavy right foot can cause problems after a valve job. I don't drive hard or fast generally, and I certainly don't rag it on anything like a regular basis, but it is a fast car and I do put my foot down sometimes. No point having it otherwise... I was considering going on some track days.

Well if it has to be redone it has to be redone. I will take it elsewhere and have it redone for only about the same as the £1030 I'm saving by not having it done now, so no worse off.

Cheers,
Mark
Mark

Bit late but here goes. Don't worry - I was talking about the max power brigade with a worn out car who thrash it everywhere. That said a track day gives even a new motor a hard time, so no guarantees there! I reckon it will be fine.

Regards

John S
Rover 220 Turbo (T-Series) piston rings - dieselhead
I'm not familiar with the Rover engine but I would imagine the crankshaft would have to be removed to get the pistons out??. This would involve quite alot of extra work removing clutch gearbox etc. Also while the crankshafts off it would be false economy not to have it checked/reground and new shells fitted. I think if you were going this far it might be cheaper having a fully reconditioned guaranteed engine or new Rover short engine fitted.

Unfortunately the garage don't seem to have done a proper compression test before removing the head so their is no way of knowing if lapping in the valves will cause any problems. By advising you of the potential ring problem now, they are covering their backs if the car smokes when they get it all put back together. They want you to pay for any remedial action not them.

imo If the oil consumption was low and you didn't notice any oil fumes/piston slap noises, I would just go for the head recon and hope for the best. You could spend £1000 now having the rings done and find the big ends are knocking 6 months later. All depends on how highly you value the car and what it's going to be used for which way you go.
Rover 220 Turbo (T-Series) piston rings - Cyd
If this were my car I simply would not spend that extra grand on piston rings. A couple of weeks ago one of these engines (from a 220, as it happens) went on eBay for £190 - I was tempted to buy it myself as a spare. Also last week the auction ended on an 97 820 Vitesse Sport which was sensibly modified in various areas, capable of pushing 280bhp on max (variable) boost - the asking price was £1800.

Apart from the 200PS version suffering piston meltdown (usually as a result of loss of oil supply to the bores caused by sludging of the oilways and continuous running at max revs), the bottom end of these motors are virtually bombproof.

Given that the car ran well prior to the repair being started and was using little oil (these engines do use oil), if it were me I'd just have whatever work is necessary on the head and leave it at that. Chances are it will continue to run fine.

Do another oil change after 1000 miles unless they are putting in a good fully synth.

Continue to enjoy!

PS where in the country is the car?
Hi Cyd,

Thanks for the advice. That's exactly what I've done. I think it's the right decision, the best bet anyway.

As you say, you hear about head gasket oil leaks, and singed pistons if you're running silly boost (and mine is exactly as it left the factory, not modified at all), but I have never heard of piston ring trouble. I'm not absolutely confident it won't blow up, but I'm willing to take the chance.

Engines are available cheaply although of course you have to be careful what you buy. I had an identical car which was written off (nothing to do with it being fast... was stationary at the time) and that had a scrap value of £500. Engine was absolutely faultless (at 105,000 miles). If I had a garage I would certainly have bought it for spares. Was sorry to see it go.

Car is in Southampton.

Cheers,
Mark
Hi folks,

Picked up the car on Saturday, head gasket replaced but piston rings left as they were. Seems to drive nicely - good pick up (although I can't give it any welly as I've been advised to take it easy for 500 miles to let the valves bed in or whatever) and it actually sounds like a new engine - there was a lot of noise coming from the head which I'd just got used to.

One thing I thought was a bit naughty is that, when I collected it, the garage announced that they would not guarantee any of the work since there is a piston ring problem. OK - don't guarantee the bottom end of the engine, no problem with that - but not guaranteeing the top end which they have rebuilt seems a bit naughty.

A question for those who have done it: how long does it take to lap in one valve? It's of no consequence to me as the work was done fixed price, but they said it took "a good four hours" to do all sixteen. 15 minutes per valve? Sounds like rather a lot. There are products advertised for £20 to lap in valves "in seconds". Assuming they don't mean "1000 seconds", four hours sounds like rather a long time...

Cheers,
Mark
Rover 220 Turbo (T-Series) piston rings - keo-the-dog
not an unreasonable time to lap 16 valves if done by hand like they should be, but most probably done by the kid who sweeps the floor using a power drill time taken for 16 valves is then about 16 minutes at most.
...cheers...keo...(ex mechanic)
Thanks, Keo. Why is it better to do them by hand, then?

Thanks,
Mark
Rover 220 Turbo (T-Series) piston rings - Dynamic Dave
Thanks, Keo. Why is it better to do them by
hand, then?

Because you can rotate the valve in clockwise and anticlockwise directions. If you use a drill, you'll only be spinning it in one direction.
Rover 220 Turbo (T-Series) piston rings - Altea Ego
My dad used to make me do his. I can still picture it. Laping tool between palms. Twizzel twizzel twizzle - Lift drop Lift drop - twizzle twizzle twizzle. Made me do it all day and that was just 8
RF

And I bet he then assembled the head, poured paraffin in the ports and made you do the ones that leaked all over again!

Regards

John S
Strangely enough if the job is done properly both ways will do the job.and in most cases drilling at low speed often improves gas seal.done it many a time with a better seal than by hand.
ie a compresion test afterwoods.
just thought no offence meant to mech1 i also have done valves using a drill and i know its easier and can be just as good maybe better but i also remeber who used to do this job in some of the garages i worked for (16 yearold floor sweeper coffe maker ) . hence i prefer it to be done by hand.
I remember my days as an apprentice.I when working under a skilled mechanic that had nothing for me to do ended up sweeping the floor tidying up the bench and making the tea/coffee.then cleaning up the tools.dont know what happens now but even though I did that could do a decent job that was given to me ie lap valves by hand.but then I think garages were intolerant then if you couldnt do the job you was taught you was fired simple as that.dont think that happens now could be wrong?
Rover 220 Turbo (T-Series) piston rings - Dizzy {P}
I've just taken my first look at this thread and I agree with all those who advise against getting the rings replaced based on the garage's very dubious evidence. Testing ring performance by the time taken for a liquid to run by?? -- I'm lost for words!

I think 4 hours to lap in 16 valves is more than enough. If they are only lightly worn, a quick two-minute lap each is sufficient. If they are heavily worn, refacing of the valve face may be needed first but garages have machines that can do this quite quickly. The days of long-winded lapping-in should have ended when valve seats machined directly into cast iron heads were replaced by hard steel inserts.

I don't like the idea of using an electric drill to lap in valves, even with using the drill's forward/reverse functions, though I have done it myself in the past. The last time I saw lapping taking place on new engines, the machine closely imitated the 'backwards, forwards and lift' hand-lapping method. If a drill does the job better than by hand, I suggest that more hand-lapping practice is needed! ;-)

Incidentally, when the AA went over from motorbikes to minivans (1960's?) they found that taking the head off at the end of the running-in period and relapping the valves meant that nothing more needed to be done to the valves for 100,000 miles.
Thanks, Keo. Why is it better to do them by
hand, then?
Thanks,
Mark

exactly as DD points out and it's a kind of precision thing it can be done with a drill but dont overdo it you also could at one time get an adaptor to do it with a drill i didn't rate those either a hand job (pardon the expression) is best.
...cheers ...keo