1993 Astra Radio change/display question - Ian D
I have a 1993 Astra 1.7 D estate fitted with the standard SC201 radio cassette which has a LCD display which shows time/radio frequency/air temp (or time/date/temp if the radio is turned off). The question is can I change the radio for a CD tuner such as the Vauxhall Delco CDR500 and expect everything to work straight away, or will I have to visit my dealer to get the CD radio and LCD display programmed to work together at my expense.

thanks...
1993 Astra Radio change/display question - Civic8
As I don`t know the car would think its similar to rover ie if radio removed there are 3 plugs on the back.2 the same which are (1) plug is power supply.(2)is speaker connections.(3rd)is supply to seperate display on dash/it wont be a prob to disconnect the display as it should have a seperate supply ie clock.as for air temp am not sure where it comes from but will investigate.hope that helps?
1993 Astra Radio change/display question - Dynamic Dave
Ian,

Previous discussions on this subject have had mixed answers. Some say it is possible without any problems, whereas others have suggested you have to get the dealer to marry up the stereo to the display. Have you tried phoning your local Vaux dealer to see what they say?
1993 Astra Radio change/display question - Ian D
Thanks for the answers, I asked the question as the search revealed no definite answer as Dave pointed out. I will ring my local dealer on Monday to see what they say, if it only a £10 or so charge then I am not bothered, I just did not want to buy one then be left with a much bigger bill..

Ian
1993 Astra Radio change/display question - elekie&a/c doctor
If you are using a standard Vauxhall radio/cd ,then no modifications reqd.Just push it in the hole & turn on .(the new radio will come with its own radio code which will have to be entered first).The air temp sensor is behind front grille &does not affect radio operation.
1993 Astra Radio change/display question - keo-the-dog
i thought the air temp sensor was in the door mirror i know it is in many cars would have thought behind grille would be affected by engine or radiator heat, only a thought i dont know for sure
1993 Astra Radio change/display question - Dynamic Dave
i thought the air temp sensor was in the door mirror....

On Vauxhalls, they're either just underneath the front numberplate, or at the bottom of the nearside front bumper.
1993 Astra Radio change/display question - John S
DD

I know from experience it doesn't always work straight away. The various radios are different makes, and the displays vary car model to model. However, all it might need (if it doesn't work) is a change to the display size:

With the Ignition on
Press and hold the 4 & 6 buttons on the set
Then switch on the radio keeping the 4 & 6 pressed
and the display will show "10-digit" which will then "toggle" to "8-digit"

Regards

John S