Cape Town driving- The Sun newspaper - Ian (Cape Town)
Here's the link:
www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2004092183,00.html

Here's the TRUTH! (Not from me - It was posted in a local forum ... but I agree 100%!)
quote:
------------------
WE all need to move to Cape Town, South Africa.
---------------------

And change your tune on your first drive into the city, from the airport.

quote:
---------
I?ve just been on holiday there, and if you love motoring there is no better place to drive ? it is motoring Nirvana.
--------

Like Britain is a sunny "tourist mecca"?

quote:
--------------
But now it?s back to the reality of traffic jams, road rage and a nanny state. So why is South Africa so good for a driving enthusiast?
----------

Too many Black Labels on your trip down here, lass.

quote:
-------------
For a start, they drive on the correct side of the road just like we do.
------------

A most tenuous of positive aspects. I expect the Germans and French would disagree.

quote:
------------
There are also hardly any speed cameras.
---------

Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V my comment above about the Black Labels.

quote:
----------
In fact, there are probably more cameras on a five-mile stretch of the M25 than in the whole of South Africa.
--------------

Ctrl-V

quote:
---------
And if you do get caught speeding, you simply get a fine instead of points on your licence.
---------

Psssst... Are we supposed to feel good about doling out the state for enjoying some speed from time to time, or what?

quote:
--------
With that in mind, you might think it would be complete carnage on the roads. But it?s not.
-------------

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!! She obviously never had a radio on in the car during the festive season!

quote:
-------------
The South Africans could teach us a thing or two about road etiquette.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
----------

Absolutely. Rule #1... ^%$# with me on tarmac, you get a bullet / you get Glocked / you have your sheetmetal dented by errant feet.

quote:
----------
On the beautiful wide roads around Cape Town, I learnt that you can teach an old dog new tricks.

As I was zooming along a B-road, I came up behind a slow-moving car. But as I prepared to overtake, he moved over into the specially-provided hard shoulder lane. That?s right, moved over, leaving the road clear for me.
---------------------------

(a) it's not binding that you shift across, (b) it's a dumb thing to do, given the litter that bedecks SA road hard shoulders, and (c) very few plonkers would ever actually have the humility to allow a faster vehicle to pass.

quote:
--------------------
It?s a real motoring love-fest.
--------------

And the "women" in Bangkok are all gorgeous, and love foreign tourists for their looks, not their naivety.

quote:
-----------
But I do love the sheer b***** mindedness of UK drivers.

Only a Brit would hog the fast lane of the motorway in their 1.2-litre rust bucket with an irate BMW M5 driver on their tail and still not move over.
------------------------

She'd be surprised mefinks... we don't have 1.2-engined rustbuckets, we have diesel-engined double cabs.

quote:
--------------
And only Brits make those charming gestures when you cut them up.
-----------

It just seems so lovey dovey on SA roads for this wanchette, because she doesn't know what "jou ma se blik poes" means.

quote:
-----------
Ahhhh, it?s nice being home ...
--------

Was the cheque from Cape Tourism in the mail when you got home?

EDITED to correct glaring gender b*****ups!