GEARBOX THRASH ON FIESTA - darren sass
I own a Fiesta Zetec S which is 2 months old and has now covered 1500 miles. When the clutch is not depressed the engine is noisy, however when the clutch is depressed the engine noise is minimal.

During the 1500 mile complimentary check I mentioned this fault to the mechanc. On collecting the car I was told that there was no fault, and that the noise was "gearbox thrash". The garage said that there was no fix for this condition, and as it isn't a fault Ford will not rectify under warranty.

The mechanic also said that 9 out of 10 Fiestas have this noise.

Has anyone else ever come across "gearbox thrash" on a Fiesta? Can the noise be fixed?

Any advice most welcome.
Re: GEARBOX THRASH ON FIESTA - Andrew Scott
Yes, Our Fiesta Zetec has had gearbox noise (at tickover) from 2000 miles old, this was checked by a Ford Dealer at the time who said 'They are all like that', By coincidence the guy in front of me at the dealers had the same problem, he had
a new gearbox fitted to his car which he said was worse! presumably he had previously complained loudly.

It seems to me such a shame that a small car with such a quiet and refined engine is sploit by this noise.

I seem to remember HJ column in the Telegraph in early August had someone
commenting on the same problem.

Regards

Andrew
Re: GEARBOX THRASH ON FIESTA - honest john
It's the gearbox input shaft. Not sure about the Fiesta but some input shafts (such as Land Rover Discovery TDi 300) run at the top of the box and get very little oil. The Ford dealer will probably say the box is sealed for life and there is no way of checking or refilling the gearbox, but if you can you may find that this will provide the answer. A lot of Disco 300 boxes were saved by special gearbox oil or gearbox oil additives that kept the input shafts properly lubricated.

HJ
Discovery gearbox. - David W
Think there's a mod on the Discovery as well that adds a plate/spinner (or something) to the shaft that dips into the gear oil and throws it about the box more for better lubrication.

David
Fiesta 'Box - Dave Etchells
My wife has a 1.25, since June '98 bought with 4k on the clock. It has now done 16.5k and the noise you mention has been ever present. I had a late '80's Orion that did the same. No faults with either car. The easiest solution is to turn the radio up.