205 starter motor - Bats
I have had a strange episode with my 1991, 150k Pug 205 Dturbo yesterday. Went to start the car after work and as usual turned key to glow plug position til light extinguished, then turned key to start car. The starter did not turn, but an audible rapid clicking sound could be heard - maybe 3 clicks per second -- not sure if it was from the engine bay or a relay in the glove box. At the same time the radio went dead and the digital clock went back to 1 o clock. The clicking and non operative starter happened twice, then I let the hand brake off and rolled forward a couple of feet (dont know why I thought that might help!, but anyway) then on the third try the starter worked absolutely normally - not slow cranking - normal speed. The car started this morning and then again this evening totally normally. I checked the battery leads were tight - about all I could do due to the arctic weather and not having a garage. If anyone has any ideas I would be very grateful.
205 starter motor - Crinkly Dave
The sound is probably the solenoid on top of the starter.
The solenoid closes and engages the starter. The current from the starter is so high the voltage at the solenoid drops to the point where it cannot stay closed. As it opens the current to the starter stops, and the voltage rises so that the solenoid closes again.
Usual cause is a flat battery, which doesn't seem the case here. Can be worn brushes or commutator, which causes too high a current flow, or faulty/loose connections.
In this case, possibly just the starter jamming momentarily against a tooth.
Not much to go on unless it happens again.
205 starter motor - Andrew-T
I'd go for the dirty connections, or perhaps the battery getting tired in the cold.
205 starter motor - Hawesy1982
If the brushes or commutator of the motor are old, worn and dirty, they will often not start the motor turning from a particularly bad spot. I used to get this happening a lot when i was younger, on my radio-controlled cars, although on these it was a case of £3 for new brushes and £2 to get someone to skim the commutator down a bit on a lathe. If you spun the wheels a bit, so as to change the contact point of the brushes, the motor would then work 9 times out of ten.
205 starter motor - Bats
Many thanks for the replies. I will check the wiring and see if that helps. To date this has only happened once, so I will see if the problem repeats itself.
205 starter motor - Peter D
Read the guys facts. The radio and clock died. Now either the earth strap has dirty connections or terminals or the battery is about to die usually 5 to 6 years tops. Chech charging voltate 14.1 to 14.3. If it was a brush prolem it would not be able to pull enough current to collapse the battery. Come back. Regards Peter
205 starter motor - DL
Dirty Peugeot battery connections....the usual!
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
205 starter motor - Andrew-T
Wife's Dturbo often used to give one click when trying to start, but she found that an immediate reverse of the key and a second attempt nearly always worked. Even though battery terminals may be tight, they can still be dirty, so remove both and brighten up the metal before refitting.

Can also be due to poor contacts at the starter motor.