Tyre question - slow puncture - arnold2
I'm not going to name the company here that supplied a tyre to me, as it's the subject of a dispute, but I would appreciate any feedback/opinion on this:

I had a tyre supplied, as new. After 2 weeks use, said tyre has a slow leak. Happens to any tyre, of course. I take the car to both a local tyre dealer, and an excellent independent mechanic, who confirm the same opinion.

When the tyre dealer tried to find the puncture, he sprayed the tyre with washing up liquid. This found the leak on the side-wall. So, no repair possible.

But, something weird: exactly around the puncture in a circle, a white chalk mark. Both agree this is a marker to indicate a puncture in the tyre - but I didn't do this, and must have been there before the tyre was fitted to my car. Using the liquid showed the circle up more clearly.

Tyre supplier is offering discounted replacement, but disowning reponsibility. Any ideas - do defective tyres ever get fitted ?
Tyre question - slow puncture - Peter D
Stand your ground if the tyre leaked from when it was first fitted. Use a digi camera and take a photo of the chalk mark. Then go back an see the manager of the branch and ask how a defective tyre was fitted to you rim. Write down what he said, then if they do not replace the tyre. Leave the branch and write to the regional manager with a print of the photo and a good letter. Upfront and Honest. Regards Peter
Cheers. Yes, did that ! Problem is, although I think very clear the tyre was defective, there's no scientific way to PROVE the tyre was leaky from new, even though the chalk ring indicates someone had noticed it !

Moderators - am I allowed to name the company ?
Tyre question - slow puncture - Dizzy {P}
I suppose you could name all the companies that it *wasn't*. ;-)

More seriously, I think you have done the right thing if you have written a polite but firm letter along the lines that Peter recommended, stating just the facts without any suggestions as to alleged wrongdoings. It may be that a genuine error has occurred, in which case the company will hopefully make things right. Fingers crossed for a successful outcome.
Tyre question - slow puncture - Dynamic Dave
Moderators - am I allowed to name the company ?

Certainly NOT. Naming and shaming is not permitted under any circumstances.

Please see the notes under he title "Back Room Policy" here:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm
thought so !
anyway, they are fitting a replacement tyre today at cost, so sort of OK !
Tyre question - slow puncture - Hawesy1982
DD - I thought you were allowed to name and shame where there is factual evidence involved, as in arnold2's case? It's not slanderous or anything, simply a report of below-average customer care, personally experienced by him?
Tyre question - slow puncture - Dynamic Dave
I think this pretty well sums up the policy on naming/shaming and libel issues.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=12...2

--
DD. BR Moderator.

Tyre question - slow puncture - Hawesy1982
Ok so arnold2 is truthful in his statement, but the blame cannot be unequivocally laid at the feet of either the tyre vendor or the tyre manufacturer, so therefore there is a risk of libellous comments against whichever the innocent party is here?

If i've got that correct, then point taken, thanks
Tyre question - slow puncture - No Do$h
Ok so arnold2 is truthful in his statement, but the blame
cannot be unequivocally laid at the feet of either the tyre
vendor or the tyre manufacturer, so therefore there is a risk
of libellous comments against whichever the innocent party is here?
If i\'ve got that correct, then point taken, thanks

Spot on Hawkesy. Couldn\'t have put it better myself.

No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Tyre question - slow puncture - Mark (RLBS)
There is another point;

I assume that arnold2 is telling the truth in a fair and objective manner.

But how do I *KNOW* that ?
Because I've nothing to gain, having just bought 2 x new tyres in the space of one month instead of one.... :-(((
Tyre question - slow puncture - Mark (RLBS)
Not my point, arnold2.

You may very well have nothing to gain.

But, we are talking of the no naming/shaming policy of the site. One of the main reasons is that we have no way of knowing whether or not untruths and/or malice and/or ulterior motives are involved.
Tyre question - slow puncture - OldPeculiar
Of course we don't know the motives of the moderators...;)

Getting back on topic it seems strange that the puncture would have been marked in the first place on a new tyre. Unless it's a clearly visable hole then nobody would have know that it had a puncture unless it had been fitted to another car previously. Are you sure the tyre was brand new when fitted, were all the mould stubs present across the width of the tread?
aha - this is where it gets interesting; when the replacement tyre was fitted, I noticed all these bits hanging off the tread - 'so you know it's new'. The other 2 'new' tyres didn't have them....