VED - why bother displaying it? - Clanger
After the TV adverts from the DVLA making the point that they don't need to look at the vehicle in question to find out if it's taxed or not, why display the disk at all? If you have paid your VED that alone should be enough.

In most lockable vehicles, the tax disk is relatively secure but on a motor-bike, anyone with a Woolworths tool-kit could make it disappear in seconds leaving you with nearly a tenner to find to replace it. Now that VED records are computerised and available to the various arms of the law, what's the disk for?

For the last year I have been using a scanned copy of the tax disk on the bike while the original lives in the filing cabinet, but the new disk with holograms on it has defeated my scanner. Maybe some silver paint and party glitter would help.

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
VED - why bother displaying it? - Quinny100
You'll end up in bigger trouble displaying a counterfeit tax disc than not displaying one at all if you get caught.
VED - why bother displaying it? - patently
But is it counterfeit if the real one is at home and the copy is displayed on the right vehicle?
VED - why bother displaying it? - Quinny100
counterfeit

adjective

made to look like the original of something, usually for dishonest or illegal purposes

I would suggest so.
VED - why bother displaying it? - patently
made to look like the original of something, usually for dishonest
or illegal purposes

"look like the original of something", yes.

"dishonest or illegal purposes" surely not? He has paid his VED so is obtaining nothing dishonestly and has a valid and reasonable motive for displaying the disc - i.e. to prevent theft, an illegal act.
VED - why bother displaying it? - Tim

"For the last year I have been using a scanned copy of the tax disk on the bike while the original lives in the filing cabinet, but the new disk with holograms on it has defeated my scanner. Maybe some silver paint and party glitter would help"

What happens if you take a photo from a digital camera of it?
VED - why bother displaying it? - Galaxy
You might have to make it quite obvious that it's not the original by writing something like "Photocopy" across the face of it in large capital letters.

Can't see how it could be deemed to be counterfeit then.
VED - why bother displaying it? - Hawesy1982
I like the digital camera idea.

If you were stopped and asked for the disk, would you then get a 7 day 'producer' for it do you think? (assuming you could show that you did have the actual disk, just not on the bike ie. a photo/scan)

Just thought actually, they'd have to give you at least a producer, as theres nothing to stop you buying a tax disk, taking a photo of it and then cashing the disk in again is there?
VED - why bother displaying it? - Dwight Van Driver
What you get from the PO or DVLA is THE LICENCE. A photostat, photo etc is a COPY not THE LICENCE.

In addition to the simple offence of failing to display an Excise Licence

Reg 7 R.V (Reg & Lic) Regs 2002 Fine &1000.

No person shall exhibit on a vehicle which is kept or used on a public road anything -

(a) which is intended to be, or

(b) which could reasonably be,

mistaken for a vehicle licence, a nil licence which is for the time being in force for, or in respect of, the vehicle.

Section 44 Vehicle Excise & Reg. Act 1994:

A person is guilty of an offence if he forges, fraudulently alters, fraudulently uses, fraudulently lends or fraudulently allows to be used by another person anything to which subsection (2) applies.

(2) This subsection applies to?
(a) a vehicle licence,
(3) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable?
(a) on summary conviction, to a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum,
&5000. and
(b) on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years or to a fine or (except in Scotland) to both

There is no provision covering a "producer" for Excise licence. Reg 12 RV (R & L) Regs 2002 does state that a Registration Document has to be produced to a PC 'at any reasonable time".

That is the law Gents. With the modern checking methods available to Plod I would hope discretion if all checks out and genuine reason for copy on display. Otherwise Good Morning Your Worships.

DVD
VED - why bother displaying it? - martint123
After having two VED disks nicked from my bike I too have a copy on display. The real one is in a plastic bag under the locked seat. I've asked a couple of bike plod when I've met them sort of off duty and they thought it a good idea.

However, if they privatise VED checkers then expect the letter of the law to apply.

I see the DVLA still reckon that 25% of bikes are untaxed - I find this difficult to believe from checking at bike meets, plod sometimes stop all bikes on sunny sundays and ISTR that last time 3 out of 600 bikes were untaxed. I wonder if they're not taking into account the number of people who SORN their bikes over winter??
VED - why bother displaying it? - Marc
Seems there's a slight hitch with the DVLA's "computerisation" - received my reminder last week and took it into the post office. Cashier behind the counter had to manually fill in a license application form as the barcode on the reminder was faded in parts (no doubt due to a printer toner running out somewhere)

She said she'd had to do loads of these recently, Post Office have let the DVLA know apparently.
VED - why bother displaying it? - martint123
Same happened with me Marc couple of weeks ago. I think it's printed a bit small.
Thank you for your considered views, and DVD, a precision riposte as usual.

Well I borrowed some glitter glue from my youngest and the effect is better but not perfect.

I know that I'm at risk from the rigid letter of the law but I hope that, if pulled, common sense prevails, and I shall follow Martint's example and keep the original under the bike seat.

My original question remains unanswered, though. What's the tax disc for? It's too small and inconsistently positioned to be read by a roadside scanner and the technology exists to match my payment for VED to my vehicle registration, so the disk itself seems to have no function.

Hawkeye
VED - why bother displaying it? - Fullchat
Further to DVDs post the offence of "Fraudualant Use" is also what is known as "Recordable". In simple terms that means Photograph, Fingerprints and DNA can be taken off the purpetrator!

Having said that I can understand the reasoning behind wanting to display a copy. Also the VEL system is somewhat archaic to say the least.

Fullchat
VED - why bother displaying it? - Fullchat
Sorry a bit late spelling a bit questionable!

Fullchat
VED - why bother displaying it? - Dwight Van Driver
>>>>>My original question remains unanswered, though. What's the tax disc for? It's too small and inconsistently positioned to be read by a roadside scanner and the technology exists to match my payment for VED to my vehicle registration, so the disk itself seems to have no function<<<<<<

Applied Psychology Hawkeye?

Vehicle without one displayed stands out does it not? Even two wheeled road rockets round Bedale have to stop when it can be seen nowt up on't nearside?

DVD
VED - why bother displaying it? - pdc {P}
What, a VED thread and no one has yet had a gentle dig in my direction re my crusade? ;o)
Applied Psychology Hawkeye?

DVD

>>

As an explanation, I'll buy that. :-)

Hawkeye