Cruise control at 30mph - Brill {P}
Re. the query about using cruise control on an automatic in a 30 mph zone (in a recent HJ Telegraph column).

HJ advised this was bad for the car. Can someone please tell me why? Surely CC holds it in the same gear as you would otherwise at a given speed (in an auto).

I'll stop doing it if I understand! (I would understand CC being a bad idea on a manual where it might labour the engine).

Stu.
Cruise control at 30mph - Flat in Fifth
Stu,

In answer to your question- pass!

I can understand that engaging cc in a 30 might not be that good an idea from a safety viewpoint if the road conditions are such. Equally I can understand the other viewpoint that in the current light of people being sent on speed awareness courses for as little as 31 in a 30 (allegedly) then less attention can be put on speedo and more on the hazards etc.

Like you I just don't understand the technical argument that is bad foor the car.

The same situation applies to both autos and manual. For example when you drive through a 30 using foot control of the loud pedal, in a manual you might have 2nd or 3rd gear engaged, likewise the auto might be set in 2 as opposed to D. So if the cc will operate in all gears then what is the technical argument for not using it?

I'm also not convinced its bad for the car.

FiF

Cruise control at 30mph - Ivor E Tower
Using CC is bad for a car when it's new and being "run in" (if anyone bothers to do that any more). Reason is that some vibrations could be set up, which can caused premature wear of certain components within the engine, depending on resonant frequencies etc. Once the engine is run in, there should be no particular problem with running it at the same rpm for extended periods, although it's safer to vary the speed from time to time.
I use my cc at 30mph locally (on a manual transmission, though) - we have an urban dual carriageway with stretches at 30 and 40 - guess where most of the local speed cameras are placed?
Cruise control at 30mph - Peter D
I though most CC cut out at 30MPH. Regards Peter
Cruise control at 30mph - Deryck Tintagel
I think that mine does not operate below 20mph (30kph?). I, too, use CC in 30 limits quite frequently just to avoid being caught in the speed traps
Cruise control at 30mph - Ivor E Tower
Peter D - certainly VW's system works from approx 20mph (according to handbook) - mine does as I work on an old airfield where the site speed limit is 20mph.
Cruise control at 30mph - John.Davies
Why not?
I'm guessing, but if an auto selects highest gear at 30 and no acceleration, the revs might be a bit low? You can select your own gear in a manual - some driving authority is trying to persuade people to "Drive in third in a thirty". Sounds sensible to me.
John