Returning to Drive Legally - ian
Father in law coming back from DD ban on 19th March. His current car has been off the road all year tax has gone, mot has gone. How does he legally get the car back on the road when he needs to drive to the mot station without road tax (can't get without mot), he will obviously insure it but will this be void in the case of a stop or an accident without a valid mot. Is the only legal route to have uplifted to the mot station or is it ok to make an appointment and drive there. This is birmingham and the roads are full of unregistered, untaxed, un mot'd vehicles but he is chastened by his experiences! Thanks, Ian
Returning to Drive Legally - Cliff Pope
As long as the car is insured you are allowed to drive it untaxed to a pre-booked MOT. Also incidentally to a garage to have pre-booked work done in preparation for an MOT.
It does not have to be the nearest MOT tester, but you should be careful about deviating too much from the route, eg doing shopping on the way back.
The car still has to be in good order with nothing illegal.
Returning to Drive Legally - Dynamic Dave
What happens if SORN has been declared? Would it have to be De-SORNed before taking it for an MOT?
Returning to Drive Legally - RichardW
>Would it have to be De-SORNed before taking it for an MOT?

Doubt it, as you can only have 2 states now* (SORN or taxed) without getting a fine. ANPR will send you a fine if you get caught though I guess and it will be up to you to prove where you were going!

* 3 actually - as I have a 1929 motorbike that has been off the road since 1952 and is listed as "not registered" so I don't have to SORN it every year.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Returning to Drive Legally - Cliff Pope
There is no mechanism for de-SORNing a car other than by taxing it(or scrapping or exporting it I suppose).
A SORNed car can be taken to an MOT, as explained.
Returning to Drive Legally - martint123
* 3 actually - as I have a 1929 motorbike that has been off the road since 1952 and is listed as "not registered" so I don't have to SORN it every year.

If a vehicle has been not taxed from (I think) 1998, there is no need to SORN it. Once you tax it, you're back in the system though.
Returning to Drive Legally - Hugo {P}
Ian

This problem is faced by people all over the country on a daily basis.

What I would do is:

1) Book MOT
2) Ensure Insurance is valid when you need to drive it to the MOT test station
3) Take car for MOT
4) Take it straight back home
5) If it has passed, apply for tax disc when you have insurnace cover note and MOT cart in your hand, then drive it as normal
6) If it fails, keep it off the road but insured. You can take it to a garage to have the work done and the Test station to have it retested, but NOWHERE ELSE!

If possible, have evidence confirming MOT/repair appointment with you just in case you get stopped.

Stick to these rules, you can't go far wrong.

H