Today\'s Court Case - greenhey
Most people wil hav eheard today of the case where a woman in Lincolnshire was found guilty and jailed for 2 years, for causing the deaths of her daughter and her daughter\'s friend in an accident.
clearly the mother\'s behaviour was stupid in the extreme but in the reporting of the case it was mentioned that the two girls were both thrwon from the car and found ead in a roadside ditch.
This is an awful story but some good can come from it if it serves once and for all to stop people themselves, or allowing their children to, travel unbelted.
From my observation a good 10% of drivers dont belt up and use in the back must be below 50% .
When will people relaise that their chidlren at at far more risk of death or serious harm from this than they are from paedophiles or whatever the latest opoular scare is about ?
Today\'s Court Case - AdrianM
There\'s nothing to add to that. Spot on.
Today\'s Court Case - Jane
Those people who don\'t insist that their passengers wear their seatbelts are probably also guilty of not making their kids wear cycle helmets when riding their bikes. I guess it\'s a case of \'that\'ll never happen to me\' syndrome.

--
Fill what\'s empty, empty what\'s full and scratch where it itches!
Today\'s Court Case - Bromptonaut
Jane,

Sorry but I don\'t think there\'s any comparison. Kid\'s ought to wear helmets but there\'s a lot of tommy rot talked about how much advantage they give.
Today\'s Court Case - Civic8
>>but there\'s a lot of tommy rot talked about how much advantage they give. I cannot see how it is a disadvantage wearing one.especially when you consider drivers of today and bearing in mind some cyclists don`t look where they are going.
a cyclist whom runs into a car gets ejected from bike may be lucky not to smash thier head on ground and at the pace they do hit not surprised they are seriously injured.At least with a helmet their is a damper between head and ground.It may not prevent serious injury but it will also depend on the speed both are doing but would help prevent possible death.Can`t agree on that?
Today\'s Court Case - Bromptonaut
I\'m not saying there\'s no advantage in a well fitting one just that the gain is overstated and particularly that the facts do not justify compulsion. Kids cycling bare headed do not equate to kids loose in the back of a car.

And far more \"encounters\" occur \'cos the motorist isn\'t looking where they are going.
Today\'s Court Case - AdrianM
eeek!...I have never worn a helmet in 30 odd years of cycling. My 4 yr old son wears one but when (if) he starts to object I doubt I will force the issue (SWMBO may not agree). I can\'t argue that little protection is not better than no protection. Depending how/where you ride.....but do not be complacent about how much \'protection\' a cycle helmet really provides.

www.soton.ac.uk/~bikeuser/ride_on/r_004.htm

cycling.gn.apc.org/info/leaflets/helmet_policy.html

Today's Court Case - BobbyG
My brother was in an accident whilst riding his bike. Surgeons who had to rebuild his face were adamant that if he did not have his helmet on then he would have been killed.
Thats enough to justify a helmet to my family.
Today's Court Case - Andrew-T
It's always difficult to persuade people with set opinions about the advantages of (for want of a better word) incremental safety - by that I mean taking precautions which perhaps reduce risks by 5%, probably while inhibiting something else such as comfort or convenience. The case that springs to mind is the bull-bar question of a couple of months ago. Any argument about the hazard? - no. Any about the purpose/advantage? - no. But will users take them off? You tell me.
Today's Court Case - AdrianM
Re cycle helmets...
Undoubtably there are advantages to taking additional precautions no matter how small the benefit. However, it is impossible to make yourself completely safe - life is all about balancing your comfort/convenience with a personally acceptable level of risk. As far as personal safety is concerned comparison with bullbars is inappropriate (though I agree with your comments)- these are neither comfortable nor convenient merely cosmetic, they do not enhance your safety but put others at risk.

Today's Court Case - Andrew-T
Absolutely, Adrian. But while bullbars are cosmetic, I don't agree that a distinction should be drawn between precautions taken for one's own safety and those of others, which are if anything more important as others are at your mercy. You may decide not to wear a hard hat if you wish - you aren't endangering anyone else. Pedestrians can't sensibly defend themselves against bullbars.
Today\'s Court Case - Civic8
not a lot to add to that.Also makes you wonder how any driver would allow four to six children travel in the back of the car.
often seen where I live.I mean a car not seven seater or above.
Makes me sick what could happen.
Today\'s Court Case - hillman
I\'ve seen a middle aged couple very proudly and carefully carefully carrying a very young babe in arms in the car. The chap, cloth cap included, was in the driver\'s seat(obviously), wearing a seat belt. The woman was sitting behind him, nursing the baby very carefully in her arms, no seat belt! If I could have spoken to them in a hundred languages I don\'t think that I would have got through to them.
Today's Court Case - Civic8
They do say ignorance is bliss.Till something goes wrong then it wasn`t my fault?
Today's Court Case - Sooty Tailpipes
Quite often now, you here of a car full of people being killed and others in another car not, and I dare say most people killed are not restrained,
The papers seem full of accidents where people clearly weren't belted, but it's as if they perceive it to be un PC to mention it in the reporting...oh well, it keeps the gene pool slightly larger than a puddle.

eg
www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=...9
Today's Court Case - patently
Those with a young child will know that hospital maternity units are adamant that they WILL NOT let you leave with the new baby in a car unless you bring the baby seat into the unit and strap the baby in in front of a midwife. She then comes to the car with you and watches while you buckle the seat in place correctly.

We asked why they were so careful - after all, we knew it was essential so she seemed to be wasting her time just standing there. It seems that the NHS now insists, after a child was born early and was driven home in the mother's arms as they hadn't bought the seat yet. There was an accident and the child died before it got home.

There really is no excuse for young children (i.e. less than about 7 or 8). Every new parent will have had this message at birth.
Today's Court Case - OldPeculiar
So many points, all of them very excellent. To add my 2p

The case in question is so tragic and needless I can barely comprehend it. Whatever is said it just makes no sense. They played a statement on the radio from the parents of the child getting a lift - I think anyone driving with kids ought to listen to it.

I totally agree with the NHS policy of making sure you have a car seat to take new baby's away. I bought mine several weeks ago. There's really no excuse. If the baby's that early then it's going to be in the hospital for a few days anyway - more than enough time to buy a car seat.

Cycle helmets should always be worn. I have a helmet that's got a nice dent and crack in it from being knocked off my bike, I'm very glad that the crack is not in my head!
Today's Court Case - Mapmaker
Some sense & some tosh. Watch out for some more tosh in this post.

1. I'm sure that 20 minutes of watching each new-born leave hospital , integrated over all new-born babies would provide the NHS with an extra nurse or two who could save lives instead of fill our lives with red tape.

2. No cycle helmet will help those idiots who insist on cycling on busy roads in London. (Just for the record, I love cycling, but only in Cambridge where it makes sense. Otherwise, I love buses/the tube. And can even be persuaded to drive occasionally.)

3. I hope that broken old helmet, Old Pecuilier, is kept as a momento, not that it continues to be used. A helmet that has sustained an impact should be written off. Even if it looks OK, it should still be written off, as it may have had its safety compromised.

I've always considered that the inconvenience of a cycle helmet is not worth it. Cycle to station. Commute to London (in suit). Visit client. Stay overnight. Come back following day.
What do you do with the helmet?

But silly woman. May her sentence be a lesson to the rest of the world.
Today's Court Case - Mark (RLBS)
A silly woman for sure. Even a stupid and reckless woman. But what a terrible thing to have to live with. And I cannot even begin to imagine how the other three parents feel.

I wish her sentence could be a lesson, but how can it be ? If fear of killing two children doesn't stop you doing something reckless and dumb, then I hardly think two years in prison will be a deterrent.

Its been some years since I took a stupid risk on the roads, but without doubt I have taken them in the past. And nothing other than pure luck stopped them being a disaster for all concerned.

There but for the grace of God............
Today's Court Case - Steve S
"Its been some years since I took a stupid risk on the roads, but without doubt I have taken them in the past. And nothing other than pure luck stopped them being a disaster for all concerned.

There but for the grace of God............"

Absolutely. The reporting of these things makes me wonder. Are we all supposed to rejoice in our perfect behaviour and seek retribution against the weak one?

My guess is that most of us have made errors that result from recklessness, possibly when we were young. Luckily the things that we learnt from didn't have such horrifying consequences.

My sympathies are with all concerned. I really don't see how prison is going to help - does it make any of us feel better? Will it alter the tragic outcome? Do we really think this is going to correct her behaviour?

My God, if the outcome hasn't altered her - prison has no chance.
Today's Court Case - Altea Ego
One look at the womans face as shown last night, would reveal she has paid the price. Trully a woman who's life has been blighted and ruined for a piece of stupidness. Prison? what good does that serve?
Today's Court Case - Bromptonaut
2. No cycle helmet will help those idiots who insist
on cycling on busy roads in London. (Just for the
record, I love cycling, but only in Cambridge where it makes
sense. Otherwise, I love buses/the tube. And can even
be persuaded to drive occasionally.)

There's busy and there's busy. Euston to Chancery Lane is thirty minutes on foot and little less by tube or bus. By bike (folds and goes with me in the train/under the desk) 10 minutes; roads half busy with slow monving traffic, lots of nice bus lanes. No fancy clothes required though jacket lives in the office.

Helmet, if I had one, would be fastened to the briefcase.

Lots of nice bus lanes... filled with... lots of nice buses. I'd join you if I could bring a tank; otherwise I'm sticking to my bus!

That poor woman has definitely paid her price. But she has gone to jail as a deterrence - that's how life works - with any luck she'll make some other people think twice, thrice or more. She'll be about by Christmas, I hope & expect. Definitely silly though: doing the sorts of speeds that were reported down those rough Lincolnshire fen roads, with children not wearing seat belts.
Today's Court Case - Armitage Shanks{P}
At least this lady's car was roadworthy, taxed and insured, whatever the unfortunate outcome of her driving. How do we think her sentence compares with the 8 months (or is it now 6) given to an unlicenced un-insured illegal immigrant, given for running down a child and then leaving the scene?
Erm, I think you'll find that HE was acquitted, by a jury of 12 good men, of dangerous driving. His being an illegal immigrant is of no relevance to whether or not his driving was dangerous or not. Likewise his being taxed, insured or whatever.

This lady however admitted to dangerous driving. I doubt that the courts would have sent that chap down for being uninsured, were it not for the other consequences of his actions.
Today's Court Case - vercin
Erm, I think you'll find that HE was acquitted, by a
jury of 12 good men, of dangerous driving. His being
an illegal immigrant is of no relevance to whether or not
his driving was dangerous or not. Likewise his being taxed,
insured or whatever.
This lady however admitted to dangerous driving. I doubt that
the courts would have sent that chap down for being uninsured,
were it not for the other consequences of his actions.

Err, I think you will find that he was not charged with Dangerous Driving, insufficent evidence, therefore he was not tried on that charge and he was not therefore acquitted. He was convicted on a lesser driving offence.

Difference with the mother, was that she admitted and was sentenced on her plea, whilst I belive he entered a not guilty. You could have a whole new thread as to whether honesty pays!

With respect to the illegal immigrant, it is relevant only in respect to a functioning immigration policy should (not does) increase the chances of him either not being their at the time of the accident (could'nt get in or was caught & deported) or of him being taxed and insured and whether nor not he had a valid overseas driving licence etc if he were a legal immigrant.

Finally the majority of his sentence (18 months?) was for having a forged passport.

The outcome of the two cases could therefore show that denying everything and possessing illegal docs. and killing one child is as bad as killing two children including one of your own and admitting it.

Personally I think that the CPS has a case to answer.

Regards

Vercin
Today's Court Case - BrianW
The point about being an illegal immigrant is that, as such, he would have been reluctant to "blow his cover" by revealing himself to the authorities by registering, taxing and insuring a vehicle and by applying for a driving licence.

Therefore a proportion of the blame DOES lie with the breakdown in immigration controls.
Today\'s Court Case - Mark (RLBS)
>>How do we think her sentence compares with the 8 months (or is it now 6) given to an unlicenced un-insured illegal immigrant,

I don\'t know. I have read very little, if anything, about it other than in here. What was the imprisonment for ?

Presumably the punishment for being an illegal immigrant is exportation, so that can\'t be it.

Uninsured normally neans £200 ish and a slap on the licence.

No licence is normally a double slap and a few more quid.

He wasn\'t found guilty of dangerous driving.

I heard nothing to say his car was unroadworthy.

I do seem to recall he was travelling at 50 odd in a 40 limit. But since we think £60 quid and 3 points is unacceptable, surely the punishment can\'t have been for that.

I suspect he got a jail term commensurate with seriously annoying the sensibilities of people who like nothing more than someone else to whip for their own issues, especially if there\'s a socially acceptable bandwagon readily available.

I notice that nobody has asked how/why the kid was in the middle of the road ? I didn\'t see anything about it being a zebra crossing.

Part of my point is that this vilification of someone because they are an illegal immigrant is senseless and not something which you would like if it happened to you in another country.

The rest of it is speculation based on tabloid reporting which is largely incomplete and usually misleading.

This is the issue with tabloid governed punishment - what is the penalty for losing control on a country road and spinning out into a field ? Why is that penalty different if there are children playing in that field and you hit them ?

Surely the intent is the same ? The recklessness, the incompetence, the \"whatever\" ? So why is the penalty different ?

Today's Court Case - Jonathan {p}
I thought his incarceration was for failing to stop and the other offences of licence, insurance etc.
Today's Court Case - MichaelR
I hold people who do not ensure passengers wear seat belts in contempt.

I'm sure I really irritate any passengers I have with my policy of refusing to move off until everybody is belted up, but it's my responsbility if there is an accident and they are not strapped in.
Today's Court Case - Mangetout
Michael, I think you just hit the nub of passengers/seatbelts issue.

Just Like you, I demand a belt confirmation before I will move off; can be 'socially uncomfortable' especially with a full complement (8 seater Previa) of adults. But, just as you say, the driver has to take responsibility. Legally with children (most of my passengers are usually drunk enough to qualify as such anyway) but morally with all his/her passengers.

I can usually quiet objectors with' when we hit something I don't want you messing up the dash board as well'
Today's Court Case - Armitage Shanks{P}
Sorry, I'll rephrase the question! How do people think a 2 year prison sentence for killing your own and friend's child (two deaths) compares with killing another child while driving an uninsured car and with no driving licence valid in UK, fleeing the scene without stopping and lying to the plouce about it for over 48 hours? Paraphrased from broadsheet and TV coverage of both cases.
Today's Court Case - Malcolm_L
They are two separate cases which whatever your stance on illegal immigrants have no relation - the woman was clearly guilty of causing death by dangerous driving, no arguments there.

The other child was killed whilst attempting to cross a dual-carriageway, whoever hit him would have probably killed him.
Fact, the driver who did hit him was an illegal immigrant who didn't have insurance or driving licence.
Not having a valid driving licence or insurance isn't exclusive to illegal immigrants as we all know.

Today's Court Case - PhilW
AS, I see what you are getting at but Malcolm has made a good point and just beaten me to it. I was going to illustrate the point by saying that a few years ago a local lad was killed when he crossed the first carriageway of a dual carriageway near us safely but continued to run across the second carriageway without checking the traffic. He was hit, and killed by a transit doing 70 mph (legally). No blame was attached to the driver and there were several witnesses, including the lad's friends, some of whom had already crossed the road, some who shouted "stop" as he ran into the path of the van and they stopped in the central reservation.
The parents of the boy made a point of absolving the van driver.
Yes, he was insured, taxed, MOTed etc and he was not responsible for the death. The same may apply to the "illegal immigrant" except that we need to put "not" in front of "insured", "taxed" and "MOTed" as well as "responsible for the death". Hence, he was prosecuted as he was and not for causing death, hence the sentence.
We can all agree, however, that this and the other case were tragedies for those involved.
Today\'s Court Case - bugged {P}
i have a questin about this seatbelt business, my bug has two outer belts in the back seat and no belt at all in the middle, although you can fit a person there, Once and only one i took 4 friends out for a game of bowling and a few drinks, it wasnt until after a got home and was cleaning the car the next day i realised there were only two belts in the back. Where does the law stand on it????
Im guessing the bug is sold as a 4 seater ever though I fitted 4 adults quite happily?????

Today's Court Case - keo-the-dog
I hold people who do not ensure passengers wear seat belts
in contempt.
I'm sure I really irritate any passengers I have with my
policy of refusing to move off until everybody is belted up,
but it's my responsbility if there is an accident and they
are not strapped in.

>>
here here michael ...i personally dont wear my seatbelt i am over 18 and its my choice to break the law (ihave my reasons involving an accident where i was wearing a seatbelt) .... however all passengers wear the belt or walk no exceptions ... its my car i can be an idiot if i want but i am responsible enough to ensure that all passengers regardless of age wear theirs
Today's Court Case - No Do$h
So when your unrestrained corpse ricochets across the cabin of the car, neatly crushing the front seat passenger......

Just ask yourself how you would have faired in that accident if you didn't have your belt on at the time. I know of no circumstances where an accident would cause less injuries without a belt.
Today's Court Case - peterb
"I know of no circumstances where an accident would cause less injuries without a belt."

It's all about probabilities. A belt will help 95%+ of the time but may make things worse in a minority of other situations (others can supply examples).

It is always hard to use statistics - however rigorous - to talk people out of their own experiences.
Today's Court Case - Mangetout
Another 'today's court case' in today's press re-inforces the seat belt point.

2 nurses killed, 1 maimed when thrown out of car on roll-over. Driver stayed inside and ok enough to leg it.

As he was uninsured, unlicensed, driving dangerously and 4x drunk it's hardly surprising he failed to insist on seat belting his passengers either, they perhaps could be blamed themselves a little here.

Contemptible pond life, glad he's being put out of harm's way for a couple of years while the rest of us make up for his lack of insurance with our own premiums.