Fiesta wobbly steering - Claude
Fiesta 1.1, 96000 miles.
The steering wheel has always had a slight to and fro motion when driving but its now become quite pronounced.The steering wheel rocks to and fro about an inch at the rim and is very noticeable at slow speed (say 10-30 mph). At higher speeds its still there but the frequency is much faster so, practically speaking, its less noticeable. In all other respects the handling seems quite normal, no pulling to one side or any vibration and self centres normally and brakes in a straight line. Checked tyres (even looking for a bulge in the tread which once happened to me) done the balancing, changed the tyres etc. Any body got any other ideas ?
Fiesta wobbly steering - Civic8
When you say changed tyres are they new or changed from front to back? ie tyres are all same make
Fiesta wobbly steering - Ford Dagenham
Hello.

I think it may be steering rack related or front wishbone related something must be loose.

(Iam not a mechanic)
Martin Winters
Fiesta wobbly steering - Spanner Jack
Common fault No 1: Worn 'steering column universal joint'

Price around only £16 from Ford dealer.

Motor factors do sell reconditioned versions... but stay away from these - they tend to fall apart.

Half an hour to change at a garage.
SJ
Worn 'steering column universal joint'
nothing said about play in steering wheel first thing to notice
would be steering wheel play ie rock on wheel with no movement as such on wheels?
Fiesta wobbly steering - DL
The joint seizes up, therefore no free play would be evident.

Very common problem.

I would have said a tyre is at fault here, but as you say, you've had them balanced, which rules out that.

The joint is easy to change : -)
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
>>The joint seizes up, therefore no free play would be evident
which opens up the fact their is another problem
could have done a favour by exposing the fault.Having had the tyres balanced is no gaurantee a tyre tread is not out of line.
As you know there are other reasons.though it seems unlikely as tyres do the steering if a problem?
Fiesta wobbly steering - Ford Dagenham
Hello.

Whats the condition of the suspension components such as the wishbones.

Take the car for a free 20 point healthcheck at ford and see what they pick up.

(iam not a mechanic)

Martin Winters

Fiesta wobbly steering - Claude
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll let you know what it turns out to be.