Tyre life - Roger Jones
In this month's Which? magazine, there is a query about tyre life.

Q: I'm worried by something I read recently in a national newspaper. It said that the rules for tyres are being changed to make it illegal to use ones that are more than five years old. My tyres are older than this but seem to be in good condition still.

A: You can stop worrying. There's no such proposal ? and, in any case, the rules about tyres relate to wear and condition, not to age.

Tyres can deteriorate with age, however, even with low and zero mileage on the clock, because of damage caused by ozone. Tyre rubber is impregnated with a chemical, to protect them from ozone. This is released as the tyre flexes when the vehicle is moving ? so it isn't effective if the tyres aren't used much. Tyres can also deteriorate from having to constantly support the weight of the vehicle.

The Tyre Industry Council ? a non-commercial body, which promotes improved tyre safety awareness ? recommends that tyres are replaced once they are ten years old (six in the case of unused tyres). Spare tyres and tyres for caravans and trailers are particularly at risk of premature ageing. You can tell the year of manufacture from the date code on the sidewall of the tyre.

You should check tyres visually (including the spare) at least every two weeks, when you check their pressure. Look for signs of ageing (discoloration and cracks), damage (cuts and bulges), and wear (tread depth, evenness of wear, scuffs and abrasions). If in doubt, get a tyre retailer to check them.

I guess I'd better think again about the 20-year-old unused spare in the boot of my Capri.
Tyre life - Cliff Pope
There is a very easily read date code on the tyres of my ex-army trailer. It says 1954. They look OK though.