Buying an E39 5 Series at auction? - MichaelR
Hiya,

Another family member (Sadly not me, I'd never insure it) is considering an E39 5 Series, probably sourced from one of the BCA Top Car auctions.

Does anyone know how much one should expect to pay for early facelift (ie, post angel eyes - think it was 00 they changed that) 525i SE on a W plate or newer? Got a budget of about £11k and was wondering if it'd be enough - looking at whats available on Autotrader and reading HJ's auction reports it would seem that this indeed enough.

In an ideal world, a 530d would be the choice, but then we'd not get one for £11k or under - would we?
Buying an E39 5 Series at auction? - lordwoody
Who knows, prices at auction are so variable that it's impossible to predict ( as you know if you read HJs aucton report) All you can do is turn up and hope for the best. Sorry for stating the obvious, but it's the obvious answer.
Buying an E39 5 Series at auction? - No Do$h
On a similar note I've seen loads of 530D police cars here in London. As the Met now have a policy of buying their cars in silver to improve resale, these will make an attractice buy at auction (if you don't mind little things like holes in the bodywork, no radio or clock etc). I would rather pay extra for a silver than a white 530.

I was wondering what these may eventually go for when they are disposed of? It would allow me to sell the Alfa and buy something fun for the weekend but still have a relatively economical and comfortable motorway mile-eater for work.

Any ideas?