Punto unreliable starting - Steve Langton
Does any one have the answer to this? The engine cranks but refuses to start or show any inclination to do so when the interior of the car is hot i.e. after left out in the sun. The only clue I have is that the battery charge indicator almost goes out during the cranking with the other electrical indications normal. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Steve
Re: Punto unreliable starting - Andrew Hamilton
Petrol evaporated from carbureter? Get a diesel next time!
Re: Punto unreliable starting - Steve
This could be a tricky one to solve.I'll have guess at bad engine earth, because of battery w/light variation.
Try clamping a jumper lead from somewhere substantial on the engine to the battery neg/earthed terminal.If starting improves fit a new engine earth lead.

Steve.
Re: Punto unreliable starting - Steve Langton
Dear Steve
Thanks for your suggestion but I found all earths disappointingly good.
See my reply to Andrew above for progress to date
Re: Punto unreliable starting - Steve Langton
Andrew,
Thanks for the response. I feel sure it is not a vapour lock as it is fuel injected with the system operating at 1 bar with a recirc. The underbonnet temperatures can be high and it will start; low with high cabin temp and no start. I checked the relays behind the fuse board and found the terminals covered in white grease. The yellow inch cube relay sounded loose inside but having no immediate replacement I cleaned all the terminals with WD40. This cured the mis-behaving battery warning light and two days later the car would not start under any cicumstances. The Green Flag man traced the fault to the crankshaft sensor which he sprayed with the ubiquitous WD40. The sensor may have to be replaced if more problems occur. A diesel would be nice but does not come in Selecta format.