Is it best to reuse tyres? - Ben79
I am having a replacement rear axle fitted to my car to solve uneven tyre wear and knocking noises.

The dealer says I am ok to reuse the old tyres which have 2mm more wear on the outside.

I am not sure if reusing the tyres would put a strain on the new axle, or if roadholding would be compromised by the uneven wear.

Should the tyres be replaced or not? (Forget the economic decision, merely the mechanical and safety aspects).

Many thanks
Ben
Is it best to reuse tyres? - Ben {P}
If you wish to get the full driving benefit of the new axle, fit new tyres.
Is it best to reuse tyres? - DL
How old is the car?

For the sake of £80-£100, I'd fit new tyres.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Is it best to reuse tyres? - Malcolm_L
Is the rear-axle being replaced under warranty?

If it is then IMHO the dealer is obliged to replace the tyres or at least contribute towards the cost of replacements.

You could always offer him the used ones as a gesture of goodwill!

I'd get the tyre shop to refit the tyres so the outside edge becomes the inside, if the tyres wear evenly then the new axle has worked - if the wear is again biased towards the outside the problem is still with you.
Is it best to reuse tyres? - Ivor E Tower
It will be far safer to replace the tyres so that they sit "squarely" on the road. Also in the unlikely event that there is still a problem, you can easily check the wear pattern to confirm/deny that the new axle is OK.
I'll ring and get the tyres fitted in the morning, £85 ish including the manufacturer paying for 1 tyre. I still think that is a bit steep for 195 65 R15 H rated Michelin Energy, but I get more come back if the dealer does it.

Is it best to reuse tyres? - DL
Yeah, that is a bit steep but you are still doing OK I guess with a contribution from the manufacturer.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Is it best to reuse tyres? - freddy
why put new tyres on if the old ones are still ok? Run the old tyres to the legal limit then put new on,ur just wasting money otherwise
It's done. Why worry about wasting a bit of money when loss of safety and long life of components is the alternative?