ANPR - how small ? - borasport20
I've always associated ANPR technology with big white vans, but there has been half a dozen cars pulled outside work today.
They were pulled by a marked Sierra, but 100 yards upstream of the sierra was a red focus occupied by two large gents in yellow jackets.
There was nothing on the back seat of the focus but there was a very small CCTV type camera pointing out of the rear window, and the focus stayed put while the sierra was out pulling people

does this mean anpr technology is either small enough to fit in the boot of a focus, or has gone RF ?

I know that in the cop's position i'd be careful given what happened in Leeds on boxing day, but they did seem to be cuffing everybody they pulled while they were in the back of the sierra.

--
Bora - what Bora ?
ANPR - how small ? - daveyjp
Some police traffic cars have ANPR systems installed - a CCTV sized camera and a laptop - no large van required.
I was being very observant when I passed the focus, and I didn't see any sign of a laptop, nor of any display on the dashboard or anything....

who knows ?

--
Bora - what Bora ?
they're still at it - just pulled a middle-aged woman in a fiesta. Pold made a bee-line for her tax disk.

--
Bora - what Bora ?
ANPR - how small ? - Flat in Fifth
Bora,

round our way the ANPR vans sit the small cameras out on what looks like a folding picnic table.

I would say these would easily fit in the back of a small car, i'e. I can imagine them looking out the back of an old Polo (remember the Breadvan style?)

FiF
ANPR - how small ? - Vin {P}
I repeat my earlier comments ref ANPR - more power to their elbow. Anything that makes the Police stop suspect cars is good in my book. It's infinitely better than anything that just takes number plates as being worth following up. I bet a pound to a penny that they have found several people wanted for other crimes. This is a good use of technology to help old-fashioned policing.

Ref the technology, a training centre I visited recently had the same equipment on their gate. They suffer a large number of problems with thefts from vehicles outside their centre. The total kit was a CCTV camera and a PC - the PC was running unattended; no need for input - it apparently flashes up an alarm when a suspect vehicle comes through their gates. Perhaps the guys outside your place just have a laptop on the floor.

V
Anything that makes the Police stop suspect cars
is good in my book. It's infinitely better than anything
that just takes number plates as being worth following up.
I bet a pound to a penny that they have found
several people wanted for other crimes.

Well at least one young feller was cuffed and a van turned up to take him away in no time at all. Don't suppose they do that just for not having tax !

--
Bora - what Bora ?
ANPR - how small ? - Sooty Tailpipes
The trafford centre in Manchester has 13 hidden cameras with a ANPR system which informs GMP of cars which they are interested in. It is a privately owned installation of ANPR.
ANPR - how small ? - Pugugly {P}
Certainly in the County I work in ANPR is expected to be linked to town centre CCTV systems by mid 2005. I saw a flyer in a nick a few months ago - £9k fully fitted to the average patrol car. Good value for money.
ANPR - how small ? - No Do$h
Personal (not mod) opinion coming up:

Excellent news. ANPR requires the presence of a police officer if it is to work, therefore we are more likely to see people nicked for other offences whilst the BiB are out and about on ANPR duties. Imagine, real people talking to the offender instead of the flash of a camera and the 14 days of searing anger at the "injustice" whilst you await the notice of intention to prosecute.

Keep it coming.

ANPR - how small ? - pdc {P}
very impressive sight on Friday night, in the Hulme (nee Moss Side) are of Manchester. About 14 plod all sitting lined up on bikes, about 400 yards downstream of a standard volvo traffic car. As others have said, the camera was as small as a standard CCTV camera, and mounted on a small tripod about 2 feet off the ground.

Drove past a couple of times and didnt get pulled so I guess their database has finally been updated, 2 years down the line, to state that my car isnt stolen!
ANPR - how small ? - henry k
One site I know where the camera is invisible.
A316 exit to A312 south (just off the end of the M3) you can see a warning sign that ANPR is about. Sign has been there for weeks. I guess they are around sometime as I have seen them several times on the A312 a few hundred yards nearer Heathrow.
I suspect that not all scroats are as informed as our readers.
I am happy to pay for ANPR.
ANPR - how small ? - J Bonington Jagworth
"..not all scroats are as informed as our readers"

Although the smarter scroat will, of course, be driving round on cloned plates. ACPR, anyone?
ANPR - how small ? - OldPeculiar
I thought that the system showed up cloned plates as well. I belive that the laptop shows details of the car (i.e. black BMW 5 series) alongside the plate pic so that plod can check those details against what he can see out the window.
ANPR - how small ? - Pugugly {P}
"what he can see out the window."

The poibt being that he will see a black BMW 5 albeit not the real one.