Dismantling suspension strut.Nis\'n Sunny - MarkSmith
Hi,

I have to replace the bearing at the top of the front suspension strut on a 1993 Nissan Sunny. Does anyone have a good way of removing the top nut (to seperate the spring from the shock)using hand tools? I don\'t want to take the strut to a garage to do (with an air tool), because this will mean I can\'t do the job on a weekend and the car\'s out of action for a couple of days.

I have a \"workmate\" type bench but nothing else like that to clamp it.

Much appreciated!
Mark
Dismantling suspension strut.Nis\'n Sunny - Sooty Tailpipes
Are you having trouble with the strut rod turning,? Some have flats, others have an allen key hole in the tip. Others you may need molegrips and strips of hard rubber to protect the rod, and grip it near the top where it isn\'t used.
Dismantling suspension strut.Nis\'n Sunny - RichardW
Do not even THINK about trying to dismantle a suspension strut without proper spring compressors (apologies if you have, but I didn\'t get that impression). Once you have the spring tension off the nut should be pretty easy to undo, and as noted there are usually flats or allen key hole to counter hold the shaft.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Dismantling suspension strut.Nis'n Sunny - MarkSmith
Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I haven't tried yet - but I was assuming I'd need some way of stopping the strut from turning with the bolt.

I was planning to use spring compressors yes - but thanks for the warning anyway!

Cheers,
Mark