Sealy 160 - mal
Been clearing my garage out and came across what I think is something for starting engines.
This came from a farm auction I was at some time ago,it was sold as a battery charger and was one of those impulse buys that for a fiver was worth a risk.
It appears to be in working condition but what I want to know is what exactly is it and is it worth advertising locally (it is heavy) or have these new fangled portable engine starters made it obsolete and ready for the bin.
Regards Mal.
Sealy 160 - Victorbox
I could be wrong but a quick search on the net indicates it could be the power supply for, or a complete welder.
Sealy 160 - mal
s
Sorry, I should have described it in more detail.It is called a sealey service 160 and on the front has the symbol of a man with a starting crank handle at the front of a car so I suppose it has something to do with starting a car, It can be adjusted up to 160 amps and has 2 cables with large crocodile clips.

Regards Mal.
Sealy 160 - mal
Correction, it has a meter which reads up to 20 amps and a circular switch which adjusts from 1 to 5.
Sealy 160 - Dynamic Dave
A quick google suggests it's probably an arc welder. The 160 is more than likely the amperage rating.

Sealy 160 - dieselhead

The Sealy Service 160 is a professional quality Starter/Charger according to my catalogue. The 160 refers to the output amperage rating.
Sealy 160 - dieselhead
Sorry forgot to mention it was listed in the 1997 catalogue so it shouldn't be obsolete yet!
Sealy 160 - mal
Thanks dieselhead, does the catalogue give the price ?.

Assuming it is ok then it wasn't such a bad buy at £5 so I should be able to sell it locally.

Mal.
Sealy 160 - dieselhead

The Sealy Superboost 160 (lighter duty equivalent of the Sealy service 160) list price is £139.95 + vat.

Think you got a bargain !
Sealy 160 - hugh
I have had one of these chargers for years - very reliable. Turn the selector clockwise for charging at whatever rate seems sensible - in emergency turn it back one click for boost starting - it got the JCB going last week in the frost...