you have a flat !!!! - kev the rev
whats the international recognised sign language for advising a fellow motorist the he / she has a half flat tyre?

twice recently we have tried to warn other drivers by overtaking and sounding the horn to attract attention and then proceed to use sign language, lip reading, finger pointing, etc. etc. but found it difficult to communicate with drivers who obvisously can not understand why their vehicle is cornering pooring or handling strangly.

I regularing whilst driving pick either a manhole cover or small road indentation and check the 'noise & feel' of each tyre, and hopefully will notice any differance from the norm.

So for my safety, and theres, what is the simpliest, easiest, method to inform another motorist at 70mph on a busy motorway that one of their tyres is part inflated and overheating, and about to cause danger to them and others!

Perhaps HJ could invent a sign which could be adopted into the highway code!

you have a flat !!!! - Imagos
simple! ..

just keep a smallish card in your door pocket with "YOU HAVE FLAT TYRE" written on it in bold letters. A quick flash of this at the driver should do the trick..

you could keep some other messages too but you could get yourself into some awful trouble.......
you have a flat !!!! - patently
I still remember the time spent on the M25 with a driver behind flashing and hooting, pulling closer and dropping back. By this point I was a bit nervous.

Eventually he took an opportunity to move into lane 2 and pull alongside. Am now distinctly nervous.

He then wound down his window and gesticulated that he wanted to talk. Very nervous indeed. Life flashes before me. All I wanted to do was drive to work. I don't think I cut him up?

Gingerly I open the nearside window. He looks at me and shouts something. Oh **** he really does want to talk to me. Me. Why me?

He shouts again. What was that? Will I survive this? Why doesn't he just ram me and have done with it?

And again - I can just make itout over the wind noise - "You've got a flat tyre".

Sweet blessed relief.... onto the hard shoulder gently gently gently.

Yes, please can we agree a sign! Just make it look non-aggressive!
you have a flat !!!! - DL
Like the sign route - a mate has some laminated 'signs' but they aren't quite as helpful as "You have a flat tyre...!"
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words..... Reply | Report as offensive | Link
you have a flat !!!! - hillman
Perhaps HJ could invent a sign which could be adopted into
the highway code!

How about it?
I\'ve very often wanted to warn someone of a soft tyre, usually a woman, they don\'t seem to have a feel for mechanical things.

{post amended. Putting the \"lesser than\" symbol in front of a sentence and \"greater than\" at the end makes the wording invisible. Far easier just to use the \"quote original message\" button. That is what it is there for. DD}
you have a flat !!!! - pdc {P}
I think you are all giving the majority of motorists too much credit here. Do you think that they could be bothered to learn a new hand signal when the only one that most seem to think they need is two fingers?

Observation shows me that most drivers dont know the hand signals to use when their indicators have failed, as most vehicles I follow just turn without any signal whatsoever. Their indicators must be faulty, right?
you have a flat !!!! - Ian (Cape Town)
Observation shows me that most drivers dont know the hand signals
to use when their indicators have failed, as most vehicles I
follow just turn without any signal whatsoever. Their indicators must be
faulty, right?

Ok, aside from the dripping sarcasm here (I'm surprised you didn't mention BMWs!), are hand signals still a part of the test? I know here in SA hand signals are no longer tested, and any time I have to use them - especially the raised arm 'I'm slowing down" - I inevitably get some moron braking hard as I slow, and giving me the two-fingered salute ...
In some instances - as when I turn left, then immediate left into a driveway, I signal that I'm slowing, but I get hooted at, 'saluted' or have clenched fists waved. lovely - and I am in the right...
you have a flat !!!! - OldPeculiar
I'd like to install one of those LED message strips in the back of my car and be able to press a button on the steering wheel to select one of a number of pre recorded messages to show the driver from behind. It could include such choice phrases as:

You've got a flat
Your lights don't work
Sit in my blind spot and I'll push you out the way

and the one I think will get most use:

Please remove your car from my bum
you have a flat !!!! - pdc {P}
The only phrases I ever fantasize about showing on an LCD display are one word phrases ;0)
you have a flat !!!! - Big Vern
I have given up being helping people out like this, in todays world they are more likely to think that you are trying to get them to pull over to carjack them... A sad but true reflection of the world we live in
you have a flat !!!! - Peter
I have just had two recent experiences trying to tell other drivers they have a problem.

The first concerned a driver who went from Bristol city centre to the M4 via the M32 with no lights. Despite many people flashing the car, gesticulating etc. No joy, it was not till we got to the traffic lights at the M4 when my passengerleapt out and advised the driver of the situation. Oh was the reply, I wondered why everyone was flashing me.

The second was Mercedes going down the M4 with a blow out. No tyre left, just on the rim. I and many others were in the 70's he was overtaking in the fast lane but did he stop, no, only when the back axle and other bits began to disintegrate did he pull over. The noise he was creating could be heard miles away.
you have a flat !!!! - Ian (Cape Town)
only when the back axle
and other bits began to disintegrate did he pull over. The
noise he was creating could be heard miles away.

He probably just turned the radio up a bit louder - I'm not kidding.
you have a flat !!!! - Dipstick
Actually, I really like the idea of a moving message display on the parcel shelf with polite/helpful messages on. Does anybody know the legality of displaying such a thing, never having seen one on the road. I haven't put my mind to how you would trigger it - get the passenger to do it I suppose. Msplin do one for 25 quid.
you have a flat !!!! - David Horn
This does in fact exist - I read of it some time ago - it would show messages like "Thankyou" and "Sorry!" and, I do believe, "Too Close" etc.

After a bit of Googling:

www.starchild.com.au/reviews.htm

Not actually the one I remember seeing but close enough.
you have a flat !!!! - Imagos
www.starchild.com.au/reviews.htm

this seems a lot of flaffing about doesn't it?

By the time you've fumbled with the remote, selected the right message got it on the display (all this whilst driving) then try and postioned yourself behind the offending car they are probably long gone.

no the easiest way is a small set of laminated cards with "YOU HAVE FLAT TYRE" and other messages kept in your drivers door pocket. very directional and very quick and no need for hand singals that most people probably wouldn't understand anyway.

ps. i cant remember the last time i saw a car driving along with a completly flat tyre anyway...
you have a flat !!!! - John.Davies
Anyone who fumbles in the glovebox, sorts out a card and then holds it up, CANNOT be driving with 'due care and attention."

Kev (who started this, remember?).
Concentrate on your own driving. But of course, yours is already better than average, isn't it?
you have a flat !!!! - nick
Kev (who started this, remember?).
Concentrate on your own driving. But of course,
yours is already better than average, isn't it?

Everyone's is, isn't it? Me included.
Why do I have a strong suspicion that 99% of people who buy this are going to look for a way to turn off the profanity filter?
you have a flat !!!! - OldPeculiar
Those that do may well get pulled over by plod (if they're not ramed off the road first)

Perhaps it's best just to leave a large notepad and marker in the car then if you have a passenger they can give an appropriate message. I remember doing this in my student days where as a passengers in a minibus our climbing club would write messages, phone numbers and even play noughts and crosses with the passengers in other cars
What plod? Can't remember the last time I saw a traffic policeman.

Perhaps they'll teach the cameras to read?