Golf - Heavy Steering - Rob the Bus {P}
Hello all,

Hope you all had a good Christmas and that there's no more turkey left!

I have a 1990 Golf GTD which, apart from a slightly obstructive gearbox, is not too bad. Except for the extremely heavy steering. I have checked the front tyres and they are remoulds (boo, hiss) so would changing them for 'proper' tyres make a difference? Is there anything else that I should be looking at?

Thanks in anticipation

Rob

Golf - Heavy Steering - Ben {P}
If everything suspension wise is ok, fitting better tyres will generate more grip, and hence even heavier steering.

Does your car have power steering?
If everything suspension wise is ok, fitting better tyres will generate
more grip, and hence even heavier steering.
Does your car have power steering?

If only, Ben!

I'm a little perturbed about the suspension comment - could that be the problem? What should I look for?

Cheers

Rob
Golf - Heavy Steering - M.M
RTB,

I've been involved with helping folks buy loads of this age Golf/Jetta in the past...often pensioners.

It doesn't matter at the age/value of yours but there was one golden rule then...never ever buy one without power steering!

Even on standard moderate sized tyres they were a pig to park unless PAS was fitted. When we would ring after one it was the first question we'd ask...and when trading one in it would be the first question the salesman would ask!

Trust me it is a trait rather than a fault. Just ensure someone hasn't upped the tyres to a daft wide size...and ensure the tyre pressures are at the top of the permissable range....oh and that the tracking is set properly.

I'm so sure this isn't an actual fault but you could jack the whole front up and turn the wheel to check for any stiffness.

M.M
Golf - Heavy Steering - henry k
If everything suspension wise is ok, fitting better tyres will generate
more grip, and hence even heavier steering.

I find that changing from old worn tyres to new ones, same brand, same version makes my steering very much lighter.
I have noticed this with all my cars.
My non power steering equiped Sierra certainly reminds me of its tyres getting old by the pain it is to park.
Power steering for me next time around.

Thanks for your replies chaps.

MM - you have reassured me somewhat. I was imagining all sorts of horrors involving knackered suspension! I wonder why VW didn't address the heavy steering? I know that a diesel lump is heavier than a petrol one so why didn't they fit PAS as standard? It wouldn't have made much of a difference to the screen price in the end, would it?

Cheers

Rob
Golf - Heavy Steering - Andrew-T
Rob - it was just the going spec at the time. When Peugeot put out the 205 Dturbo (early 1991) PAS was an option, but after a couple of years it became standard. SWMBO's car (second-hand) had PAS and DIY windows - a friend's car had the opposite combination. Must have been terrible to park.
Golf - Heavy Steering - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I owned one of these from new. The steering was extremely heavy from scratch and I had to sell it after I suffered a shoulder injury while motorcycling.The handling was awful as well with tremendous understeer . Pity because it went like stink and was very economical.