Peu406 discs & pads - stevec69
I have a Peugeot 406 2.0 hdi estate y reg 24000 miles and have had it for just under a year and have done about 12000 miles.I replaced the discs and pads around 15000 miles because the car was juddering when braking, and this solved the problem.However the same thing started happening about a month ago and the main dealer has told me that they need replacing again.A good mechanic friend has told me that both the discs and pads are fine,(the pads only about 50% worn and not 80-90% as the dealer told me.)He has replaced the pads and has only partially solved the problem,he maintains that the discs are perfect, so i am at a loss as to what else it could be.

Does this mean that i will need to repalce both discs and pads every 8-10000 miles or about every 6-8 months? This seems very frequent.I would appreciate any advice or feedback.( I have noticed on Johns column that they are prone to discs warping, but so soon?)
Peu406 discs & pads - pienmash
when i replace brakes ,i always replace the whole lot discs,pads,you cant just look at a disc and say its alrite,u gota use tools to see if its warped or not,sounds like warped discs,wots ya tyre condition like?
I have just had a full main dealer service and the front tyre depths were 7 and 6 , so condition of the tyres is pretty good.I do normally have both the pads and discs changed at the same time, and did have them available, but my friend told me that on this occasion the discs did not need to be changed.Do you think he was wrong?
Peu406 discs & pads - DL
Common problem on the 406 I'm afraid - I am battling with a problematic 406 with brake judder at the moment, even after an on-car skim.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn/problems.msnw?Page=1 - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Peu406 discs & pads - Civic8
D.L are you getting on both side`s or just one?
Peu406 discs & pads - Sooty Tailpipes
Watch out for places which overtighten wheel bolts or unevenly tighten them, these can cause warpage. Also so can getting the discs quite hot and then stopping with your foot holding the car still on the brake, instead of using the handbrake - they can warp as they cool unevenly.
Thankyou for your advice everyone.Also do you think it makes a difference if you buy parts from Peugeot or from a reputable dealer like Europarts which are obviously cheaper.
Peu406 discs & pads - Civic8
Any disc exposed to severe water cooling will experience this.It is mostly caused by going through very deep puddle`s after braking ie severe cooling of disc by going through these puddles the disc cool`s down suddenly causing the disc to warp,the pad`s are probably fine.But the disc may well be distorted
Peu406 discs & pads - DL
Steve - it makes no difference if you use Genuine or Aftermarket discs - this is from direct experience.
--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn/problems.msnw?Page=1 - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Peu406 discs & pads - Robin the Technician
Steve,
Take a trip to your local Partco branch and purchase a set of pads and insist they are Lucas type. These pads are slightly softer than most others on the market and will wear rather than cause excess heat by the harder variety. I am extremely hard on brakes and experience has proved with a number of cars I look after to be the answer. I've used them in my Pug 406 estate Diesel without problems. A neighbour who suffered far worse than you with his disc's and pads on same vehicle took my advice and...... Hey Presto - jobe done. Take my advice, for what its worth- mine is borne out of experience with this problem.

Hope this helps

--
These are the views of Robin the Technician with 35 years in the trade. I fix, therefore I am...
Peu406 discs & pads - DL
Robin - I might try that option on my customers' 406 HDi....cheers!
--
Thanks again all-and Robin-I will visit my local partco in Kingston.