Let there be light - b3gon
According to the adverts for a well known brand of auto light bulb a 40 year needs twice as much light as a 20 year old and a 60 year old needs 11 times as much light to do the same task as as a 10 year old.

Is it not ironic that the boy racers are driving with lights approaching a zillion candle power and the ould'uns make do with sidelights?

Perhaps people over forty should not be allowed to drive at night due to their restricted perception, unless they have twice as many lamps as a nova.

How many people would admit they have difficulty driving at night?
Let there be light - hillman
I have seen several lorries, and cars, with an array of quite large lights on either their roof (lorries) or front bumper(cars). I have occasionally seen those on lorries lit, albeit with low wattage bulbs, but never on the cars. I imagine that if they were lit then the photon power would send them in reverse, something like the starship Enterprise.
Let there be light - PhilW
b3,
Good job I'm not a fish 'cos I always take the bait, but if all these "ould 'uns" of over 40 (that makes me extremely ancient) are so blind and incompetent that they shouldn't be allowed to drive at night how come they have such low accident rates (and insurance premiums) compared to the so competent 20 year olds? Perhaps we should ban all under 25s because they are so reckless and inexperienced? Or do you think I am perhaps being a little bit extreme and generalising too much??!! Perhaps when you are 40 you could surrender your licence as an example to us all. Or perhaps you are already over 40 but have (like the rest of us "ould'uns") gone a bit senile??!!!
Let there be light - Colin M
Don't forget that our perception of light (and sound) works on the logarithmic scale. Double the power of something in watts and your eye won't "see" it as a doubling of light but merely a small increase. Let us 40 somethings keep our licences!

Let there be light - Andrew-T
I would happily admit I have difficulty driving at night, but only due to oncoming headlights (as I posted a recently). When roads are quiet I enjoy night driving as much as I did 40 years ago (now 64) - sadly they aren't as quiet as they used to be.
Let there be light - frostbite
That tallies pretty much with my experience too, Andrew. I would also add the largely unnecessary use of headlights in overcast and especially wet road conditions.
Let there be light - alan kearn
Often when older drivers have difficulty with glare from headlights at night is that they may have, possibly unknown to them,cataracts on one or both eyes. I think if you do a web search you will find that about 1 in 4 people over the age of fifty have some formation of cataracts on at least one eye.People will also have difficulty driving towards the sun early in the morning (when it is low)especially when the roads are wet. A pretty good test is on a bright sunny day look into the distance (but not into the sun) then look again wearing a peaked cap (lower your head) to cut out the glare from the sky, if things in the distance are clearer wearing the hat there is a chance you may have cataracts,If so maybe its time to have your eyes checked.
Let there be light - Sooty Tailpipes
I too had problems with oncoming cars, and had to train myself to look at something else as they passed that critical angle. I am 29, and just got my first pair of glasses primarily for VDU work.
I tried them at night, and the difference is astounding, its like being 17 again.
Headlamps which seemed a fireball of light that seemed to make everything around them black out, are now just small lit headlamps.
My lenses are coated Nikon ones from D&A.
Let there be light - billy25
according to a current t.v advert, "your eyes can see a candle in the dark from 14 miles"!,so is it really any wonder why so many people are blinded when facing a pair of headlights at only a few hundred yards!..:-(

billy.
Let there be light - THe Growler
Blimey, I thought all my problems had been solved with Vitamin V and a bunch of root canals plus some creative bridgework...looks like a trip to the optician's is one the cards now......
Let there be light - malteser
Blimey, I thought all my problems had been solved with Vitamin
V and a bunch of root canals plus some creative bridgework...looks
like a trip to the optician\'s is one the cards now......

Is that the vitamin \"V\" which comes in little blue 100 mg tablets?
\"Rude, crude and socially unacceptable\"