A battery of mice - Robbie
I opened the bonnet of my Omega this morning in order to top up the windscreen washer. I could hardly believe my eyes. The battery has a padded cover - rather like an immersion heater - and something had pulled away the cover exposing a white filling which was covered in peanuts and bits of stale bread.

I can only assume it was field mice that had done this but it is quite worrying. They might have had a go at any of the flexible hoses and things which could be an expensive repair.

The car is garaged, and since early retirement I don't use it every day. What can I do to prevent this happening again? I suppose I could acquire a cat and leave that under the bonnet.:)
A battery of mice - Ian (Cape Town)
I suppose I could acquire a cat and
leave that under the bonnet.:)

>>
Doesn't it go in the exhaust system?

But seriously, it would be best to get the wiring checked - those little tinkers chew everything!
As far as getting rid of them, either get some old-fashioned mousetraps, and leave them around the place (chocolate or peanut butter works better than cheese) or some poison.
Obviously neither option is too wise if you have kiddies about.
A battery of mice - blank
We recently had mice in our garage. They had attacked a sack of bird nuts and every available container (seed trays, plant pots) were full of the nuts, every corner of the garage was full of shells and by bag of rags had been transformed into a bag of fluff.
I concur with what Ian says about the old fashioned traps, baited with chocolate and set carefully so they are right on the verge of going off, othewise the chocolate goes and the mouse stays alive!
I decided on the trap idea rather than poison, so that I could be sure of finding the creature; I didn';t fancy the idea of it rotting unseen in a corner of the garage

Andy
A battery of mice - frostbite
If you don't fancy killing them, there is a trap which resembles a tiny birdcage with a funnel like entrance which is a one way street for mice. As soon as you get tenant/s you can take them for a ride to a convenient hedgerow.

Don't waste chocolate - bird seed or corn is just as attractive (cheese is NOT).
A battery of mice - terryb
I recommend killing them. It's the only sure way of permanent xpulsion.

And I usually use a piece of apple as bait.

Terry
A battery of mice - blank
If you choose the "humane" trap, just make sure the ride is a long one, otherwise they will be back.
A battery of mice - L'escargot
I decided on the trap idea rather than poison, so that
I could be sure of finding the creature; I didn';t fancy
the idea of it rotting unseen in a corner of the
garage.

I don't think there's any problem of them rotting. In my experience they just dry up.
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
A battery of mice - X5
I suffered from this a few years ago in my old Merc. I can only assume that our garage cat was playing with a mouse on the roof of the car, and the mouse dropped into the passenger compartment through a slightly open sunroof. The fabric of 3 of the seats was gnawed, and the little blighter had even consumed half an an Eccles cake that I had left in the car. I had to get one of these mobile invisible repair services to come out and restore the seats. They apply a special glue, and blow on tiny coloured threads only a few mm long that match the upholstery colour. Not too expensive considering the damage done, and the repair has lasted for at least another 80K miles on the driver's seat.
A battery of mice - Sooty Tailpipes
Check the air filter box too, they can go up the intake, and make a nest in the bottom of the airbox by chewing small peices off the airfilter for cushions.
A battery of mice - Rudolf
If you have mains in the garage, do an internet search for Martley Electronics and see PestClear 10+ Pest Repeller. I had the little blighters under the bonnet of my precious hobby car; one of these gadgets now lives there and has been 100% successful.
Found it again myself, silly blighter!

www.martleyelectronics.co.uk/
Rudolf
A battery of mice - HF
Eek. HF standing on chair shrieking at the very thought. I would die if this happened to me. Good luck with the extermination.
A battery of mice - Leon on Derv
One of the guys who works in the plant where I buy my biodiesel, told me a similar story. Either mice or rats chewed through the fuel return line in his mondeo. He believed they were attracted by the smell of the biodiesel.

Leon

A battery of mice - andymc {P}
Uh-oh - I keep all my jerrycans of biodiesel in the garage - looks like I'll have to get a cat!
One time I was filling up the car on the driveway & a neighbour passed by walking his dog, which started licking my gloves! It was an Irish wolfhound the size of a small donkey, so I felt it would be impolite to refuse.
andymc
I've heard they have a few big cats for sale at Knowsley Safari Park.:}

I wonder if the mice would do this to a Jag?
A battery of mice - El Hacko
Got a mice problem inside my kitchen unit which rests against outside wall (house next to disused school with overgrown grounds). Anyone got experience of the newspaper advertised 'ultrasonic animal chaser that rids your garden of unwanted pests'? Fits on external wall or post, infra red motion detector covers 4000sq ft (it says here) - has adjustable frequency and runs from mains or batteries. Costs £40 - likely to be more effective than the hitherto tried, and ineffective traps? Kitchen and units kept very clean (no food spills). Help, please!
If you look at Rudolf's post, about three or four above this, there is a link to the manufacturer.
thanks Robbie (and Rudolph) - am only interested in deterrents
A battery of mice - buzbee

If you want to try a different mouse trap, I have used the small plastic ones successfully. They are made of fawn plastic about 70mm long and 35mm wide with teeth. You pull them open and place on a surface. They have their own 5mm diameter spot of brown goo as bait. Sorry don't know the name of the trap but you can get them from Robert whatsit hardware store. I keep a couple of the plastic ones in my shed and one in the loft and they catch all my mice --- about 5-6 a year, mostly the shed, and before they breed.

I have also used the black liquorice from 'Liquorice All Sorts' as bait on the old fashoined spring-hoop trap. Bery basset is very versatile ! I tried cheese and toffee without success.

Not tried ultrasonics but I am very interested in the results. Being an electronics person, I am curious to know if a steady ultrasonic 'note' is used or a warble one --- like a whistle with a pea in it, for instance. You can also wobble the amplitude by design, so there are a few variables to play with to get the best effect from such a device.
A battery of mice - buzbee
Sory, should have written fashioned ans Berty Basset

A battery of mice - Blue {P}
I have hearing that is very sensitive to high sounds, and I used to be able to tell when our ultrasonic cat chaser thing was on.

Ours was a cheapo one that used a more or less continuous note, however, I can safely say that if I was a cat/mouse/dog, I wouldn't be hanging around long, a noise that high in pitch is not pleasant!

As far as I know the unit wasn't faulty as I was the only person in my family who could hear it, it wasn't my imagination either, I could tell whether it was switched on or not by walking past it without looking at it.

Blue
anyone advise, please: as my problem seems to centre on one particular floor based unit, is it best to site the device inside the unit?
PestClear 10+ Pest Repeller plugs in to a 13 amp socket, and so is meant to cover a room or garage or whatever; but I use it under the bonnet with an extension cable as that is the place that worried me. Success continues.

I can't hear any tone with my old ears, but close to I can hear a clicking noise.
Rudolf
A battery of mice - No Do$h
I can't hear any tone with my old ears, but close
to I can hear a clicking noise.

That will be the mice trying to operate the off switch.
A battery of mice - Kevin
Robbie said:

> I wonder if the mice would do this to a Jag?

Not to mine they don't but that's probably because a neighbourhood cat seems to be using the bonnet to keep his ass warm!

I wouldn't mind if only he'd wipe his feet first.

Kevin...
Pestclear 10+ - Rudolf
Unfortunately, Charles Darwin has taken over and a race of mice has evolved who do not seem worried by Pestclear, and have completely destroyed an air filter element. I have reversed the previous policy of keeping cats out of the garage.
Rudolf
Pestclear 10+ - THe Growler
Buy some old fashioned flypaper - Baygon make it- (the sticky stuff), put a few nuts around and you will hear a bit of whimpering which tells you you've caught one of the little perishers, which will be stuck. If you're too much of an animal rights person to do it yourself, get the housemaid to pick it up and chuck it in the garbage.

(Living in the Philippines, Chap3, P.101)

Pestclear 10+ - THe Growler
Forgot to say repeat as needed.
Pestclear 10+ - Rudolf
Hello Growler!

Sadly, in my old age I am the blooming housemaid; the philosophy is the same, but I have only the neighbouring cats to do the dirty work. Which further restricts possibilities.

How's that Mustang?

Cheers and beers.
Rudolf