fed up pug 106 owner - caz
had my car broken into last night in bournemouth area and my cd player and cds stolen. my car is a pug 106 look 2 r reg, and unbelievably the theives broke in neatly without even marking the car, stole the goods and then locked up behind them. could someone tell me how they might have done it and how i can take better precautions, (have just bought steering wheel lock as well today) as im now worried that if they can get into my car so easily, any replacement sterio i buy will be there waiting for them.
cheers caz
ps, i know obviously to take the face off but it just bugs me as it was not an expensive one and my car was outside house under a bright street lamp! cheeky or what!
fed up pug 106 owner - moonshine
Don't leave anything in the car. My Mum once had her window smashed so they could take a cuddley toy.

If there was no marks they may have used those flexible things that slide down into the door.

Other than getting an expensive alarm (or a cheap one that goes off all the time) I would suggest making sure there is never anything worth taking inside the car. On the other cars I've had without alarms I've used steering wheel locks, they may not stop a determined car theif but they must at least slow them down increasing the chances of them being caught.

Of course keeping a nasty big rottweiler in the car is gaurenteed to deter all theives. They work quite well in the house to keep out burglers as well.
fed up pug 106 owner - PoloGirl
Does your car have those stalks which pop up when car is unlocked and are down when locked? If so, I've been very grateful to the RAC man who can break into Polo without leaving a mark on two occasions, but also quite unnerved by the ease of it and try to never leave my CDs in the car for that reason. Yes I know that wont help you now! Sorry!

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the specifics, but it involves wedging the door open a fraction and using something to hook over the pop up stalk, which, when pulled up, will unlock the car. Then you simply open the door, and pop the stalk down again to lock it when you leave.

There's also the tale that you can break into any Nova using only half a tennis ball, but I'm not sure if that's true!

Don't know if it's the same with yours but my CD player came with a guarantee that if you had the front and the stereo was stolen, JVC would give you a new one. Might be worth a try?

Hope you get it sorted.
fed up pug 106 owner - David Horn
Too late for you now, but I only ever leave copied CDs in the car - the originals stay at home. I also don't use an aftermarket CD player - the Citroen looks plain and with any luck won't attract a thief. The Harry Potter's are out of sight in the door bins.

Regarding the locking, I always deadlock mine with the remote... push the button twice and it makes a loud clunk and then the doors can't be unlocked from inside.
fed up pug 106 owner - AngryJonny
Similarly, I bought an MP3 CD player which means I can record a dozen or so albums onto one CD. Therefore I only keep one CD in the car and it lives in the stereo and is worth about 20p. I also have a similar guarantee to Pologirl which means that as long as I have the fascia the stereo is replaced if stolen.

The car is alarmed and nothing is on display so a much bigger risk is that some 12-year-old cretin will run a key down it or rip off a mirror. That'll teach me to own a BMW, even if it is 13 years old.
fed up pug 106 owner - Altea Ego
Its not just a UK thing. I have driven to Amsterdam twice. The first time the scenic was parked in a busy street. The window was smashed to get a packet of fags!

The second time just recently I learned my lesson and parked in a secure underground car park. On the second night someone attacked the Laguna rear door window with an automatic engineers punch. I now have 6 (yes count them) small chips in the window. It didnt break tho. There was NOTHING in the car.

Lets be honest. There is NOTHING you can do to stop anyone breaking into your car apart from lock it in your garage.

The dog thing wont work, dogs are high on the list of theft items.