What's so special about Mondays??? - Hawesy1982
Ok,

This is something that has been annoying me for months now, and i really can't think why this phenomenon occurs.

My morning commute takes me from Watford to Slough, using Jcn19-16 on the M25. The M25 is, of course, hell at this time of the morning (8am), and the 25miles to work takes 45-50 minutes in normal traffic.

WHY then, is it the case that EVERY Monday, without fail, the same journey takes at least 1hour 20minutes, ie. 80 minutes, nearly twice as long?!?

Surely there is a logical answer to this somewhere?
What's so special about Mondays??? - Altea Ego
A lot of people travel down and stay in and around London to work for 5 days traveling home again on Friday night.
What's so special about Mondays??? - GS
Renault Family,
You beat me to it!
What's so special about Mondays??? - GS
One possible explanation is the incresing number of people who work away from home, or abroad -(travelling from/to Heathrow/Gatwick and Stanstead), during the week, only to return on a Friday evening which is when I notice that my M25 journeys take longer.
What's so special about Mondays??? - Nsar
I experience the same around Manchester and did so for years when I commuted over to Leeds. Not as bad as described but a 50 minute drive to Leeds was always 1hr15 on Mondays. Fridays correspondingly better but that I put down to long weekends but that wouldn't explain the Monday extra traffic.
What's so special about Mondays??? - daveyjp
Same for me travelling from West Leeds to Bradford every morning. Mondays busiest, Thursdays quietest. I also travel on the M62 every Thusday from Leeds to Manchester leaving just before 7pm, during the summer I can do the 40 miles in about 40 minutes, but as soon as the clocks go back it takes upwards of an hour, generally due to queuing traffic around jcn 27. My theory on this is fewer people are on hoilday at this time of year therefore increasing traffic levels.
What's so special about Mondays??? - Mark (RLBS)
I should think it was a bad day today; I was doing the M25 from the M4 to the Watford turning around 8:45 this morning and the opposite direction was solid all the way.

However, normally I commute Bicester to Watford which is 39 miles and 41 minutes and totally stress free.
Waves to Mark .........

I was going the other way about the same time.......
sorry thats "not going anywhere" the other way
Why does drizzle snarl up roads? - Rob the Bus {P}
This morning there was a little light to heavy drizzle. It took me nearly twenty minutes to get from Bromley South station to Bromley North. The traffic was extremely heavy compared to yesterday. Is it just the case that Mummy can't bear little Sebastian/Jocasta to get wet?

Cheers

Rob
Why does drizzle snarl up roads? - GroovyChick{P}
I agree that the weather makes a big difference. Doesn't matter if it's morning or evening. One evening last week it took me 45 minutes to travel 8 miles on the M60 (J3 to J7)in Manchester, it was throwing it down. The next night, lovely clear night and I was home from work and parked up on my drive in just over 15 minutes!

GC
Why does drizzle snarl up roads? - pdc {P}
One evening last week it took
me 45 minutes to travel 8 miles on the M60 (J3
to J7)in Manchester, it was throwing it down.

Same anticlock J17 to 13 when it rains. More than halves the average speed, and doubles the time.

What's so special about Mondays??? - Hawesy1982
Yep me too RF and Mark - As a result i got in late (again) and received a slapped wrist from my boss and the loss of my 'Good Timekeeping Bonus' (which isnt actually a bonus its 10% of your days pay you lose if late!)
What's so special about Mondays??? - tag1_uk
You poor souls. Blame the government for not doing more to spread jobs around the country from the south east. I used to comute from Bishop's Stortford to Harlow in Essex - 14 miles in 50 minutes. Now the same length of journey takes me less than 20 minutes to commute to my job in Scotland.
What's so special about Mondays??? - SpamCan61 {P}
Well governments have been trying to spread the jobs out since the 1930s; doesn't seem to have worked too well. Still a choice between a packed train or a packed motorway...ho hum
What's so special about Mondays??? - BB
It's carp every day on the M1.