Cavalier, Front wheel grinding! - Ellis
Morning all,

I have a '95 Cavalier which this morning developed a harsh grinding fron the front driver side wheel when taking right hand corners at a reasnoble speed. Doesn't happen when gently going around right handers or at all when going around left hander at any speed. Did a couple of full right hand circle in the car park and needs a little welly to make it happen, as if you were checking CV joints, no clicking and no previous indication of a problem, drives ok, steering feels fine, nothing obvious trapped underneath, just a nasty harsh grinding noise, any ideas

Thanks, Ellis
Cavalier, Front wheel grinding! - Cyrill666 {P}
Hello,

Brake disk back plate catching on the disk? I've had that before on cavaliers - just need to prod around and find the right point to push the back plate away from the disk so that the noise goes away.

Hope it's as simple as this to fix!

Kind regards,
Cyrill666
Cavalier, Front wheel grinding! - Mark (RLBS)
Wheel bearing allowing the wheel to move off true ? Or as simple as either the brake pads themselves, or something caught in the brake pads ?
I'll take the wheel off at lunch time and have alook around checking the plate and pads, out of interest how would it be possible for the plate to be moved or is it just one of those things.
I've had the plate move on my Cavalier and more recently Vectra - although to be honest it's usually following some work on the car - I don't think I've had one move on it's own.

You may have a stone trapped between the plate and disk?

Just ideas. Does the sound appear as though it's coming from something external, or interal... by that I mean, it is really loud, or muffled?

Cheers,
Cyrill666

Cyrill,

It does sound like an external noise, quite alarming when I heard it first, almost sure its a metal on metal type of sound, its a very coarse grinding noise,

Ellis
Cavalier, Front wheel grinding! - Dynamic Dave
Have you got mudflaps fitted? Have they moved and are now rubbing the wheel when turned, or scraping the ground when you go round corners?
Solved,

The joint that the anti-rollbar connects to the lower suspension arm had sheared, quoted £25-30 inc parts and labour
Cavalier, Front wheel grinding! - Dynamic Dave
Congrats Ellis.

That is a common part to fail as the 6mm bolt that holds it to the suspension arm corrodes very easily. That is also a cheap quote you've been given. I've changed one once before and I ended up angle grinding the old one off the anti roll bar, and then cursed and swore trying to convince the new one to go back on.
Final price, £9.50+Vat for part, £10 cash for labour 25 mins, came off easy, happy customer :-)
Nice one Ellis - a result I think.

;)

Cheers,
Cyrill666