Omega 2.2 Petrol (Chain or belt)? - Oscar the omega
Hello,

I just wondered if any Omega lovers out there would be able to tell me whether the 51 plate 2001 2.2CD petrol Omega I have is chain or belt cam driven.

Its quite noisy when cold and sounds like the usual stuck chain tensioner problem, but my local Vx dealer says it's belt.

I could have sworn the 2.2 petrol lump was now chain, and I'm too tight to buy a Haynes manual...
Omega 2.2 Petrol (Chain or belt)? - steveb
all Vauxhall 2.2 petrol engines are chain driven - I have one in my Vectra.

Chain should last for c80k miles before renewal, however very regular oil changes are recommended every six months protect it, and stop sludge build up in the chain oil feeder pipes.

The chain has been known to snap in these circumstances ....

Steve
Omega 2.2 Petrol (Chain or belt)? - Aprilia
I would hope it lasts longer than 80k miles.
Omega 2.2 Petrol (Chain or belt)? - Dynamic Dave
I was told the chain should be changed at 100k.

On a separate note I had my 2.2 litre Vectra serviced earlier in the week and the mechanic said that a number of 2.2's are being recalled because of the blocked oilway / snapping chain problem. They checked the engine and chassis number on mine and said my engine was a later model and not due the recall to have a modifaction done. For reference mine was first registered in Nov 2000, so it would appear that cars older than that are due the recall. The garage are also recommending 10k / yearly oil changes, not 20k / yearly as previously suggested by Vaux.
I was told the chain should be changed at 100k.
On a separate note I had my 2.2 litre Vectra serviced
earlier in the week and the mechanic said that a number
of 2.2's are being recalled because of the blocked oilway /
snapping chain problem. They checked the engine and chassis number on
mine and said my engine was a later model and not
due the recall to have a modifaction done. For reference mine
was first registered in Nov 2000, so it would appear that
cars older than that are due the recall. The garage are
also recommending 10k / yearly oil changes, not 20k / yearly
as previously suggested by Vaux.

- mine is March 2001 so on this basis is probably ok - I do six monthly/10K oil changes with fully synth myself also ...
I do six monthly/10K oil changes with fully synth myself also ...

In which case I hope you can answer how much oil the engine takes?

I've just been charged for 5 litres of oil when I had it serviced. When filing the invoice with previous paperwork I noticed that last year I only got charged for 4½ litres of oil.

The handbook is no good as it refers to all other engine types apart from the 2.2 petrol engine as the garage didn't have the correct handbook at the time of buying the car. I also don't posess a Haynes manual as nothing has gone wrong with it yet (apart from the Aircon - which was covered under warranty anyway), for me to consider buying one.

So which is the correct amount, 5 litres or 4½ litres?
Omega 2.2 Petrol (Chain or belt)? - Aprilia
Blimey, Vauxhall really can't get things right, can they? They should be able to design a chain-cam engine that doesn't need the chain changing at 100k miles. I've worked on plenty of Mercs with the original chain at 250k mi.; its not rocket science. To be having problems with blocked feeds and snapping chains is just plain shoddy.
Aprilia,

I think the main problem is that the 2.2 lump was first fitted to the VX220. More than likely being a sporty little number it has a harder life, gets revved more often and the engine gets a good workout. Put that same engine in an Astra / Vectra / Omega, etc and treat it to traffic jams, short journeys, pootling around town, etc, coupled with 20k oil changes, is it any wonder the oil ways get clogged up?
I think the main problem is that the 2.2 lump was
first fitted to the VX220. More than likely being a sporty
little number it has a harder life, gets revved more often
and the engine gets a good workout. Put that same engine
in an Astra / Vectra / Omega, etc and treat it
to traffic jams, short journeys, pootling around town, etc, coupled with
20k oil changes, is it any wonder the oil ways get
clogged up?

I've often wondered about car manufacturers (particularly Vauxhall) finishing the development of new engines on the run-outs of old models before the new model is introduced. Vauxhall have done it with the 2.2 engine in the last of the old model Vectras, and they've done it before with the first 2L 16v engines in the last Cavaliers.

The cynic in me says that this is a deliberate ploy to test the introduction of new engines, and the problems that they may present in old models, and iron them out before the new model is introduced, therefore avoiding any bad publicity.

Sorry if this is straying into a general discussion and has hyjacked the original thread.

Steve
So which is the correct amount, 5 litres or 4½ litres?

Use Vauxhall's own 5L oil tubs. Engine took most it it bar a last pint which goes into a clean milk bottle to be used for topping up when necessary at a later date. Cling film over the top keeps the nasties out. Haven't needed to top up much however so far between oil changes.

You do need to run the engine for a minute or so after the change and then let it settle down again for 10 minutes and take another reading as the oil filter cartridge initially fills up, reducing the indicated level on the dipstick - then top-up as necessary.

Used oil goes into the now empty container.

I guess the answer is therefore c4 3/4 litres ...!

Steve
Omega 2.2 Petrol (Chain or belt)? - RogerL
The reason manufacturers put the "new" engine in the "old" model for a couple of years, or even put the "old" engine in the "new" model,is that this way they're not changing everything on the production line at the same time. Major manufacturers, including Vauxhall, use a particular engine in several models. The models will get changed at different times but will all have a similar change point when new engines are introduced.

I don't understand why re-introducing an old technology, cam chains, causes problems. The old Vauxhall CIH cam chain engines did get noisier as the chain wore but weren't prone to failures. Perhaps, by the time they've replaced all their cam belt engines with chain versions, they'll have got the technology to work like it used to!
Omega 2.2 Petrol (Chain or belt)? - John S
DD

According to my handbook the 2.2 in an Astra takes 5 litres.

Regards

john S
John S,

Cheers for info. Looks like I got let off being charged for ½ litre of oil from last years bill then, (which works out at £2.82).