is this any good? - Timothy
I am in the market to buy a cheap smallish family car.

Looking through the freeads i spotted a '91 J tipo 1.8. IE for £875.

the car has 78,000 miles on the clock, a full and very comprehensive service history, an mot until aug 2002, and one owner from new.

there's not one spot of rust (galvanised body i guess is the reason), it's not been in any accidents, and as far as i can tell it's a genuinely cared for car.

reading the car-by-car breakdown i noticed there's something mentioned about the 1.8 engine being a problem.

does anyone have any comments, experiences, etc they'd like to mention? any help would be appreciated.
Re: is this any good? - Andy Bairsto
HJ used to sing their praises so they cannot be that bad
Values slipping? - David Woollard
Timothy,

These can be incredible value if you like them. As you say no body rust, but the ones I've worked on are very grotty on the suspension parts, interior trim and electrics.

Get more advice but I thought I'd noticed a collapse in the market/price for these this year such that one like this went in auction for under £200. Absolutely no-one wanted it.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't get this one, just hold back and then go in with a killer offer.

David
Re: is this any good? - chris watson
i would try about £500 - £600, as you will be the only person interested in the car, i was looking at a (G) reg fiat uno fire, 36.000 miles, FSH, at £450 ono.
Re: is this any good? - Mike Harvey
I've come across quite a few electrical problems with them on the ignition side, and fuelling. Once was a coil, and others have been corroded connections.
Mike
Re: is this any good? - Mike Jacobs
Timothy,this brings back memories of driving a hired Tipo down to Sussex. Not a boring car. A good drive. You might, as Mike says, get the odd electrical problem,so get a decent multimeter and study the wiring diagrams! I was surprised they stopped making Tipos. I'm glad HJ liked the Tipo. A really useful and well designed car.A nice bit of Italien pzazzzz(however you spell it.) Regards,
Mike.
Re: is this any good? - Mike Jacobs
Timothy,this brings back memories of driving a hired Tipo down to Sussex. Not a boring car. A good drive. You might, as Mike says, get the odd electrical problem,so get a decent multimeter and study the wiring diagrams! I was surprised they stopped making Tipos. I'm glad HJ liked the Tipo. A really useful and well designed car.A nice bit of Italien pzazzzz(however you spell it.) Regards,
Mike.