news from the states - fred smith
When Virginia motorist Ron Kronk was cited for a traffic violation recently, he was more than a little surprised. But when he found a second violation notice in the same mailing, also based on hidden camera pictures, he was sure there was something wrong.

The notifications he received bore the same photo, but cited different locations.

"The pictures are the same, everything else is different," said Kronk, who first told the story to Chris Core of WMAL radio in Washington, D.C.

The first violation notification claimed Kronk ran a red light at the corner of Wilson Boulevard and North Lynn in Arlington on Aug. 24. The second notice said he ran a light at the corner of Jefferson Davis Highway and 27th Street in northern Virginia on the same day - but showed the same photo.

"I'm going to court on this because I figure if the computer made one mistake, it can make two," said Kronk, a construction worker who will not receive financial compensation from his company when he takes time off to appear for a scheduled court appearance Dec. 7.

A spokesman for the Arlington Police Department said if Kronk supplies him with the data, the department would investigate the matter. "If a mistake has been made, it will be corrected," the spokesman said.

However, Kronk's case provides ammunition to a growing number of opponents of traffic cameras, who say the cameras impinge on people's freedom without enhancing safety.

"You're supposed to be able to face your accuser in court, but with these cameras, the accuser is a camera. There's no officer who can observe and testify as to what actually happened, just an automated device that may or may not be accurate," said James Plummer, a spokesman for the National Consumer Coalition's Privacy Group.

A San Diego judge threw out months of traffic tickets recently because the cameras weren't being operated accurately with regard to the placement of the sensors and the timing of the yellow light.

California Superior Court Judge Ronald Styn ruled Aug. 16 that the cameras do not violate privacy rights, but that they were "untrustworthy and unreliable." Vehicle owners received tickets even though the photo does not identify them. The system suffered from a "total lack of oversight," he said.

Styn ordered city officials to appear in court to make their case for installing cameras. The hearing, originally scheduled for Aug. 31, was postponed to Sept. 4.

Cameras are becoming more popular with state and local governments as a means to generate revenue. In the 10 days following installation of a camera system in the District of Columbia, cameras generated 15,000 tickets. District officials said they expect the cameras to generate $10 million in additional revenue annually.

Responding to criticism, District officials are seeking to set up a fixed-fee deal with a private operator of the cameras, instead of the current arrangement in which the contractor, Lockheed Martin, receives a cut of every fine paid.

House Majority Leader Dick Armey (R-Texas) and the American Civil Liberties Union say cameras violate constitutional privacy and due process rights.

"There is only one answer to the so-called red-light running crisis," Armey testified before a House Transportation Subcommittee on July 31. "It's called sound engineering. It's called putting cops on the beat in the midst of our community to do their job."

Judge Styn said cameras enhance safety on the streets. "There is no question that there is a legitimate governmental purpose in installing red light cameras to promote safety on highways," he said.

Tucker from the National Consumer Coalition said a safety argument can be made, "But you know what Ben Franklin said about those who are willing to give up liberty for safety - eventually [they're] going to have neither. I think that's something very important to look at."

"And as far as safety goes, there are always unintended consequences where people who are so afraid of getting snapped by one of these red light cameras will stop short on a yellow light and the car behind them might not. That creates a different safety problem. So there are definitely downsides to it, even just looking at the safety side," Tucker said.
Re: news from the states - Andy Bairsto
when was this ,It is deemed under the constitution of the united states an invation of human rights to take a photo of any one without there permission hence there are no speed camaras.the last being removed last year inthe district of columbia (I believe)After a 10000 ml tour by road of the states I did not see one camara,only held held laser .If they took a photo from the front there is no plate If they took it from the back they would not know if it had contravened a red light.
Re: news from the states - Dave M
I was in Florida 3 weeks ago and around Orlando there is plenty of cameras the taxi drivers told me it was to slow down the British tourists
Re: news from the states - Mark (Brazil)
Firstly I thought this issue started in Europe, wasn't it Switzerland ?

On the US, didn't they alter the cameras to photograph the licence plate, not the occupant, to avoid this issue ?

M.
Re: news from the states - chris watson
you are right, the US government did change it from pictures of the people inside the car, to pictures of the number plate.
Re: news from the states - Alvin Booth
Just how could could cameras get pictures of occupants of these big limos which the Mafia and gangsters use in the films I watch.
They all have black glass.
Surely cameras can't see through them????
Alvin
Re: news from the states - chris watson
i think you are slightly wrong about american cars, not all american have blacked out windows, its like when i went to a hick town in america, the idiots thought that everyone in britain drove rolls royces or minis.