Vw golf - Cheap overnight in car camera to catch vandal? - K21000

I park my car in a small private car park. Someone keeps putting screws in my tryes overnight. I need a small camera on my parcel shelf/rear screen to see who is doing this. My car is old and I am on a budget, but I cannot afford the plugs/new tyres anymore. Is there something battery powered with an SD card that I can set that works on its own without draining my car battery? I only need one camera and I can't spend lots of money on a flashy system.

Thanks.

Vw golf - Cheap overnight in car camera to catch vandal? - bathtub tom

Are you sure this is an act of vandalism and not perhaps you driving in an area where screws are consistently dropped? Lots of work vans seem to dispense screws whenever the back doors are opened!

No, definitely not. I drive to and from work and there is no way I could pick up 4 screws in 3 months. Our private parking and work parking is clean and tarmac. It's always screws and not nails or anything else.

Vw golf - Cheap overnight in car camera to catch vandal? - bathtub tom

It's always screws and not nails or anything else.

No-one having work done locally, on your regular route, or on your place of work?

Vw golf - Cheap overnight in car camera to catch vandal? - Xileno

I remember a similar question being asked a while ago but can't find it. In the meantime, this might help:

kit.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/115351/is-there-...d-

Found it - might be of some use: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/160057/audi-a1---3...e

Edited by Xileno on 06/05/2022 at 19:38

Vw golf - Cheap overnight in car camera to catch vandal? - focussed

"Someone keeps putting screws in my tryes overnight"

Just out of interest which tyres are getting screws in them? Fronts or rears?

If it's always the rears that sounds to me like you are picking the screws up on the road.

The theory is that the front tyre runs over the screw/nail/rivet/spike and flicks it up for the rear tyre to run over it and gets the puncture.

Thinking back I've never had a front tyre punctured, it's always been the rears on cars and motorcycles.

Vw golf - Cheap overnight in car camera to catch vandal? - edlithgow

Old phone? They tend to have dodgy batteries, but you could run it off the car battery,

Can't give you numbers, but I THINK the battery drain overnight should be sustainable.

If there IS a vandal and they see the camera, though, they may well bust a window to get at it.

In theory you could have a phone-based (or dedicated) system transmitting the pictures so you've still got them, but that'll take a bit more setup, you'll need a live SIM if using a phone, and a vandal may not be deterred.

Could you park somewhere that has surveillance camera coverage? Pretty pervasive in the UK nowadays by all accounts, likely to be more effective and doesn't risk escalating your damage.

Maybe talk to the cops?

Edited by edlithgow on 07/05/2022 at 03:39

Vw golf - Cheap overnight in car camera to catch vandal? - Bolt

Thinking back I've never had a front tyre punctured, it's always been the rears on cars and motorcycles.

3 years ago I had a spate of screw punctures most in the n/s tyres over a 3 month timespan, because of where the screws entered the tyres had to buy new.

I did a check of my routes to see where building work was/had been done and noticed one completed roof extension job had left must have been a box of 4" screws in the kerb gutter.

every time I went past being a speed cushioned road I went towards the kerb to miss the edge and picked up a screw, I wonder how many more cars picked them up as well, I doubt I was the only one because of the S/cushion, I go over the speed hump now to miss the gutter

It has been rears, but it's easy to get to the rear of the car as it's parked up against a fence with cars close on either side. It was the front this time.

Vw golf - Cheap overnight in car camera to catch vandal? - focussed

It has been rears, but it's easy to get to the rear of the car as it's parked up against a fence with cars close on either side. It was the front this time.

It's actually quite difficult to manually insert a screw into a tyre, you would need either a cordless drill with a screwdriver bit, or some sort of automatic screw gun like the auto feed type used for plasterboard screws.

I know this because years ago I cut up a section of a scrap tyre as an example to my driving school pupils to be able to demonstrate what a tyre looks like in section, the tread depth, and how it gets punctured with nails, screws and pop rivet shanks etc.

It's actually quite difficult to manually insert a screw into a tyre, you would need either a cordless drill with a screwdriver bit, or some sort of automatic screw gun like the auto feed type used for plasterboard screws.

I know this because years ago I cut up a section of a scrap tyre as an example to my driving school pupils to be able to demonstrate what a tyre looks like in section, the tread depth, and how it gets punctured with nails, screws and pop rivet shanks etc.

Not something I've experimented with (I suppose I could at tyre renewal time if I did it right next to the tyre fitters, being a weird foreigner and all).

BUT IF I wanted to get screws into a tyre I would wedge them in the V-wedge area formed next to the tyres contact patch, point up, head down, radially oriented, so that the weight of the vehicle forces them in when moving forward (or backward if reverse is the likely direction of first move).

IF this IS the MO, a pre-drive check should find them, both averting damage and providing paranoia-denial evidence, if there.

Mirror or a phone camera might avoid the need to lie down next to the wheels. Otherwise floor mats or something else to lie on.

Edited by edlithgow on 11/05/2022 at 05:54

Vw golf - Cheap overnight in car camera to catch vandal? - galileo

Ed, yet another instance of your inimitable and ingenious lateral thought. You would be a valuable companion if shipwrecked on a remote island.

Vw golf - Cheap overnight in car camera to catch vandal? - Bolt

Ed, yet another instance of your inimitable and ingenious lateral thought. You would be a valuable companion if shipwrecked on a remote island.

Thats when you find out everything you thought you knew, was totally useless, lol

Aw Shucks!

BUT, awshucksness aside, I don't think I can accept the compliment in context, because

(a) It seems pretty obvious

(b) If it isn't in fact pretty obvious, because its inimitable lateral thinking, then its pretty useless to the OP, because it won't be what the hypothesised vandal is doing, unless he/she (hell hath no fury...) has inimitable lateral thinking too.

In which case it wouldn't be inimitable, really.