Speedcam Anywhere app - RichT54
How Speedcam Anywhere works
  • A user of the app opens it when they hear a speeding car approaching and films the car passing.

• The app uses the number plate of the passing car to search the DVLA’s public registration database to find the make and model of the car.

• From there, it determines the distance between the axles of the car, and compares it with the footage to calculate the speed.

• The user then has the option of saving the video, or generating a report from it to share with the authorities.

Would you use this app?

The developers of a new app that uses AI to estimate the speed of a passing car say they have been forced into anonymity by the vicious response from drivers.

The app, Speedcam Anywhere, is the product of a team of AI scientists with backgrounds in Silicon Valley companies and top UK universities. Its creators hope it will encourage police to take speeding more seriously and enable residents, pedestrians and cyclists to document traffic crimes in their area.

But since it launched in March, the vitriol levied at the team is such that they are afraid of sharing their real identities. “We’re getting quite abusive emails,” said Sam, the app’s founder, who spoke on condition of anonymity. “It’s a Marmite product – some people think it’s a good idea, some people think that it turns us into a surveillance state.

The app has faced difficulties. Google refused to allow the team to publish it on the Play Store, saying it was not possible to estimate the speed of a passing vehicle using AI alone – a claim proved wrong when the company provided a demonstration of the technology. An iOS version has also been developed but Apple has yet to approve it for distribution and has not given a reason for the delay.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/10/speed-camera-app-developers-face-abuse-from-uk-drivers

Speedcam Anywhere app - Xileno

Not me. I'm all in favour of road safety but this seems a bit too much like the school sneak to me.

Speedcam Anywhere app - FP

Perhaps it should be pointed out that no-one can be prosecuted on the evidence of these machines.

"The app cannot lead to drivers receiving speeding tickets. Since Speedcam Anywhere’s algorithm has not been vetted by the Home Office, it is not legally a speed camera, and cannot provide sufficient evidence for a police force to issue a prosecution for speeding, although the broader 'dangerous driving' offence may apply if the driving is sufficiently negligent."

So in effect their use is no different from a dashcam. If you object to the practice of the public being encouraged to submit footage of bad driving to the police, you probably won't like the idea of speeding being reported either.

Edited by FP on 10/04/2022 at 22:35

Speedcam Anywhere app - Andrew-T

I'm all in favour of road safety but this seems a bit too much like the school sneak to me.

I sort-of agree with this, but I'm trying to work out why it should seem unacceptable. The motive can't be disputed, but presumably the trap has to be set by an appointed official, to whom we can all object with a clear conscience. Robbers can only be caught by proper cops, if you like ?

Speedcam Anywhere app - Sulphur Man

I live on a residential road where speeding is endemic. I would definitely use this app to demonstrate to local councillors and local police on the continuing issue of speeding.

The app carries no legal or prosecution weight (yet) but it seems a very useful tool for alerting decision-makers to problem areas.