Land Rover Discovery Sport - Land Rover Engine failed suddenly - LandRover1

I bought a 18 months old Land Rover Discovery Sport in May 2017 from a Land Rover garage. It had around 27000 miles on the clock at the time of purchase. The car has been serviced regularly at Land Rover garages as per service guidance. The last service was in July 2020 (at 72 months service) which has not identified any problems. The next service was due at 96 months (which would have been July 2022). I have taken extended warranty until 31/05/2021, at which point, I have not renewed this.

We drove it to France in August 2021 and while in France it showed an error message, “incorrect diesel exhaust fluid quality detected". We took it to Land Rover Garage in Agen, France and they have sorted this out. They have not indicated any engine faults at this time.

A few days after this, we started driving back to UK on 27/08/2021 and almost close to Euro tunnel, we suddenly got a message, “Engine oil critically low”. We have topped up 1.5 litre engine oil at this point as per the recommendation from the manufacturer’s manual. But the message did not disappear and the car went into ‘Restricted performance mode’ whilst entering Euro tunnel. We called the recovery services in France, who advised to book a job with RAC in UK. We have booked a job with UK RAC and they picked up the car on exiting the Euro tunnel in UK. On the advice of the RAC Recovery Technician it was towed to a reputable garage local to us. This garage has investigated and has advised that there was an issue with the timing chain. On the day they were moving the car to start repairing the timing chain issue, the engine failed. At this point, they have advised me to take the car to the Land Rower dealership. The dealership has quoted just over £11,000 for Engine replacement.

The Dealership has contacted the JLR to enquire if they would cover any costs. After a few weeks of to and fro and multiple questions, today, the Dealership has emailed us saying- “JLR will not be looking to contribute towards the repair. I believe this is due to lack of evidence as we cannot provide the oil filter from your vehicle, as this was missing from your car upon arrival”. The dealership has now given a new quote with £9300.

We do not know how or where the oil filter went missing- as we drove the vehicle out of Euro tunnel before handing over to RAC, which means, the oil filter was intact at that time. The garage did not say anything about a missing oil filter, when they moved the car to the Dealership.

Considering the above, please can you advice what are our options?

is there a possibility to get the JLR or the Garage to bear the costs- as it was a sudden engine failure, despite good service history- and the JLR is refusing to bear any costs due to 'missing oil filter' which is a mystery to us!

What are our legal options?

Thank you

Land Rover Discovery Sport - Land Rover Engine failed suddenly - elekie&a/c doctor
Sadly another catastrophic failure just outside warranty. I’m guessing this is the JLR ingenium engine. Early versions are prone to timing chain and gear sprocket failure, resulting in a wrecked engine. Oil filter missing ? Sounds like the dealer is spinning you a yarn to dodge any responsibility. It maybe an idea to engage an independent engineer to carry out an analysis of the failure.

Thank you, the garage who inspected the vehicle said on phone that it was a timing chain issue. But I do not have anything in writing from them. Also, they can't remember if they have removed the oil filter before they sent over the vehicle to the Land Rover retailer.

You are right, JLR seems to be trying to dodge the responsibility by focusing on the missing oil filter. I feel stuck as to how to proceed.

Is there is any further use of getting another independent engineer at this stage? Would JLR approve such independent analysis?

Land Rover Discovery Sport - Land Rover Engine failed suddenly - bathtub tom

Could the oil filter have gone missing when the “Engine oil critically low” warning was received?

Land Rover Discovery Sport - Land Rover Engine failed suddenly - daveyjp

7 year old car at point of failure is unlikely to see much joy from Land Rover.

Those two year extended service periods really aren't there to benefit the owner either. It is simply too long.

I'd be looking for an independent who knows these engines inside out.

Land Rover Discovery Sport - Land Rover Engine failed suddenly - Cris_on_the_gas

From what you have said above seems like your local reputable dealer investigating the issue drained the and removed the filter. Most likely to examine the oil and filter for debris.Then forgot to re fill, started the engine, seized it then quickly passed it on the Land Rover Dealer to give you the bad news.

I can't see how you would prove this easily.

Land Rover Discovery Sport - Land Rover Engine failed suddenly - Rerepo

My son used to work as an engineer at JLR (Gaydon). These Ingenium engines were failing in huge numbers. At 7 years old you have zero chance of getting anything from JLR - these cars have an 8 year design life. Either stump up the cash for a new engine or scrap it. And don't buy another JLR product - I'm astonished anyone still buys their cars.

Edited by Rerepo on 09/11/2021 at 09:02

Land Rover Discovery Sport - Land Rover Engine failed suddenly - madf

My son used to work as an engineer at JLR (Gaydon). These Ingenium engines were failing in huge numbers. At 7 years old you have zero chance of getting anything from JLR - these cars have an 8 year design life. Either stump up the cash for a new engine or scrap it. And don't buy another JLR product - I'm astonished anyone still buys their cars.

Lots of broken LR engines on YouTube. From near new cars.

Due diligence is worthwhile when buying cars: Google "Range Rover engine problems"

or " Land Rover broken crankshaft"

Lots of broken LR engines on YouTube. From near new cars.

Due diligence is worthwhile when buying cars: Google "Range Rover engine problems"

or " Land Rover broken crankshaft"

You are right. There seem to be huge issues with JLR engines. Sadly, we have realised this very late. Never again will I ever consider JLR product. JLR know the issues with the vehicles, but are not willing to take any responsibility. The customer service is very bad- they keep coming back with repetitive and 'mechanical' answers. I feel so angry with them and it is huge financial burden for us at the moment.

Not sure if there is any merit in pursuing motor ombudsman or legal routes. I just feel that they need to be held accountable!

From what you have said above seems like your local reputable dealer investigating the issue drained the and removed the filter. Most likely to examine the oil and filter for debris.Then forgot to re fill, started the engine, seized it then quickly passed it on the Land Rover Dealer to give you the bad news.

I can't see how you would prove this easily.

It is possible that this might have happened at the garage and you are right, it is not going to be easy to pursue this....

Edited by LandRover1 on 09/11/2021 at 18:36

7 year old car at point of failure is unlikely to see much joy from Land Rover.

Those two year extended service periods really aren't there to benefit the owner either. It is simply too long.

I'd be looking for an independent who knows these engines inside out.

We have considered getting it inspected by an independent engineer, but it is going to cost a lot and we are not sure if it is worth the effort and money....

Edited by LandRover1 on 09/11/2021 at 18:38

I think this is less likely as there was no sign of external oil leakage when we towed it through RAC. I think the oil filter has been removed by the local garage....

Could the oil filter have gone missing when the “Engine oil critically low” warning was received?

Not sure if it is likely, as there were no external signs of oil leakage when we towed the car by RAC. I guess that the local garage might have removed this during their inspection....

Land Rover Discovery Sport - Land Rover Engine failed suddenly - elekie&a/c doctor
50% of its value to get it back on the road can’t make financial sense . WBAC buy cars that are broken , why not give them a shout and see what they come back with .
50% of its value to get it back on the road can’t make financial sense . WBAC buy cars that are broken , why not give them a shout and see what they come back with .

It makes sense, will give them a call and see......

Land Rover Discovery Sport - Land Rover Engine failed suddenly - Miniman777

Really unfortunate luck for the OP, but forums are full of similar problems with JLR engines. Research pre-purchase is key on any car, as is an extended and comprehensive warranty for the time you own such a car like a JLR.

Yes, lots of examples on YouTube, but there is also one on TikTok where the engine on a Velar has failed at 55 miles. Astonishing and shocking.

OP could source a replacement engine as cheap as possible and get rid asap - and not to buy an Audi/VW/Skoda/Seat which can also suffer from expensive major problems - again well documented.

It's going to be a heavy financial hit, no avoiding it.

Land Rover Discovery Sport - Land Rover Engine failed suddenly - Cris_on_the_gas

Really unfortunate luck for the OP, but forums are full of similar problems with JLR engines. Research pre-purchase is key on any car, as is an extended and comprehensive warranty for the time you own such a car like a JLR.

So how would a warranty would have helped here ?

It would appear on the balance of probalities in this case some monkey at the reputable dealership started the car with no oil or oil filter attached, wrecked the engine and kept quiet.

Land Rover Discovery Sport - Land Rover Engine failed suddenly - Anheuser

I have a 2018 RR Velar owned since new and full service history. Last service was April 2022. Yesterday I was on the M25 when without warning a “critically low oil” warning triangle light appeared on the dashboard. There was no low oil warning beforehand. Then a message saying something like the car was operating under restrictions. It then started losing power and I pulled onto hard shoulder and all the warning lights came on. It never started again.

I had the car recovered to my home as LR Hatfield garage want £295 just to look at it. I have since called 5 different garages and all have told me the same thing. Sounds like the engine has seized, a common occurance with the Velar. My car is out of warranty and the estimate is £10k for new engine and £3k to fit. I am amazed a car costing £60k has an expected life of just 4 years. I have been advised to sell for spares or repair. I won’t buy another LR.

Land Rover Discovery Sport - Land Rover Engine failed suddenly - FP

This must be very disheartening for you.

However, to the community represented by this forum it will not be a surprise. It is regular advice to steer clear of the brand second-hand unless a warranty is in place for some time after purchase.

I'm sure that not every LR dies after four years, but if there's an engine-related problem out of warranty it will be an expensive repair. It's a gamble and best avoided unless your pockets are deep.

Land Rover Discovery Sport - Land Rover Engine failed suddenly - edlithgow

Sounds like the oil filter fell off at the time of the original error message, and it was driven dry, which I'd think would wreck any engine.

I daresay modern JLR products are junk, but this incident isn't really clear support for that view

This interpretation would put the probable blame on whoever did the last service not tightening the oil filter adequately, but of course not provable.

Re the "reputable garage" that received the car as a basket case, I'd guess they are slightly more likely not to notice a missing oil filter (is it easily accessible?) than they are to remove and forget to refit it,, but I have very little experience of reputable garages.

Land Rover Discovery Sport - Land Rover Engine failed suddenly - Andrew-T

Re the "reputable garage" that received the car as a basket case, I'd guess they are slightly more likely not to notice a missing oil filter (is it easily accessible?) than they are to remove and forget to refit it,, but I have very little experience of reputable garages.

I suppose any 'mechanic' may have a momentary lapse of concentration which may cause such an incident, which is the kind of thing that makes a garage 'reputable' or disreputable.

My Pug 207 went to the nearest such place to me for its regular change of oil and filter last April, because they had done a good job at short notice 18 months before. This time they chose not to use the grade of oil I had asked for, and failed to replace the engine undertray without telling me. However I immediately looked under the car to check they had replaced a CV boot which had failed the MoT, so I noticed. They grumpily (and clumsily) refitted the missing undertray, and have been deleted from my preferred suppliers list - by making themselves disreputable.

Land Rover Discovery Sport - Land Rover Engine failed suddenly - Xileno

If the car has a full JLR service history then this needs to be at the dealer irrespective of the £295 charge as there might be some goodwill payment. If you have had it serviced outside the JLR network then chances of goodwill is almost zero. It's not unknown for oil to be sent off for professional analysis, in case the wrong spec has been used.

Land Rover Discovery Sport - Land Rover Engine failed suddenly - edlithgow

If the car has a full JLR service history then this needs to be at the dealer irrespective of the £295 charge as there might be some goodwill payment. If you have had it serviced outside the JLR network then chances of goodwill is almost zero. It's not unknown for oil to be sent off for professional analysis, in case the wrong spec has been used.

?

As I read it, this is most likely to be a case of "no oil".

Any oil is a whole sump load better than no oil.