VW Golf 2007 estate - Why is there an under seal on my outer sills? - LeeLee83
Hi all,
I have bought a car and my outer sills, on both sides, have a thick under seal.
A pair of my jeans are now needing a wash!
Any idea why this would have been put on?

There is no mention at all of this on the MOT, which was only done a few days before I bought the car.

I can’t see any obvious signs of damage/rust.

Thanks in advance.
VW Golf 2007 estate - Why is there an under seal on my outer sills? - bathtub tom

Perhaps because new oversills have been welded on (do they still do that?), or to cover some other travesty.

VW Golf 2007 estate - Why is there an under seal on my outer sills? - Grenache

Perhaps because new oversills have been welded on (do they still do that?), or to cover some other travesty.

Yes, they still do that, I had that done on my previous car, but the underseal should have dried and hardened.

The original car when new also had a thicker layer of underseal on the sills to pretect from stone chip damage.

VW Golf 2007 estate - Why is there an under seal on my outer sills? - Andrew-T
There is no mention at all of this on the MOT, which was only done a few days before I bought the car.

Some testers comment that they can't rule out corrosion because of grease or underseal. I would hope that it has been there since (almost) new - recent underseal could cover all sorts of things ... :-)

VW Golf 2007 estate - Why is there an under seal on my outer sills? - LeeLee83
It’s a 57 plate. Can’t see it lasting 14 years!
I will hopefully get to a car/jet wash soon and get it off to reveal what’s hiding, hopefully nothing.
VW Golf 2007 estate - Why is there an under seal on my outer sills? - elekie&a/c doctor
I suspect the sills have scratches and scuff marks . Covering them with a black body schutz is a quick and easy way to smarten up the bodywork. It’s possible they've used the wrong product. A quality body schutz should be touch dry between 1-2 hrs .