Has fuel panic buying started? - RichT54

Any signs of panic buying of fuel where you are?

I noticed my local Shell filling station had Out-Of-Use signs on half of its fuel nozzles yesterday. Today, on the way back from Southampton, I needed to fill up with petrol. I did see a couple of filling stations with some cars queuing out onto the road and all looked to be busy. The one I stopped at had all its pumps working, but fortunately I didn't have to queue. It was a lot busier than usual though and they had 3 tills open where there's usually only one at that time of day.

Has fuel panic buying started? - _

The petrol stations here in Colchester and Ipswich road, Tesco at highwoods and at the A12 services by the football stadium/sports park all had lines of people waiting. The dealer phoned to arrange delivery time for the new car, and when i asked if they could fill it up pre-delivery, we only put in £15 now..

So round there I went and the salesman drove me round to complete the fillup so that when I collect it tuesday I can set off for Rugby..

All the premium pumps were closed, and some of the diesel pumps too.

Edited by _ORB_ on 24/09/2021 at 19:54

Has fuel panic buying started? - craig-pd130

It has a bit round here - but amusingly, mostly at the local Tesco filling station next to the supermarket. The local Shell station, which is less than a mile from Tesco, had no queues and all pumps in action, largely because it's 6p per litre more expensive than Tesco ...

Has fuel panic buying started? - daveyjp

Ironically the first I heard of this was when I put the radio on in the car after filling up last night.

My wife has just been out and passed a Morrisons and Asda, both rammed as was the Shell near her office and that also had closed pumps.

The only station I passed earlier had raised petrol prices to £1.45 a litre!

Has fuel panic buying started? - badbusdriver

Haven't seen or heard of any queuing in my neck of the woods (Aberdeenshire) yet.

Last Friday on my way to work, around 7am, I stopped into a Tesco on to fill the van up, but there was no diesel. Went to an Esso filling station in the same town and filled up no probs.

Has fuel panic buying started? - Chris79

Round my way, yes. All stations locally now empty. The stupidity of the whole situation is summed up by my wife’s car. It currently has quarter of a tank of diesel in which is enough for her to use it normally for at least a week if not a week and a half.

Why people feel the need to desperately fill up their cars with fuel they in some cases don’t actually need is beyond me. Rant over, I’m off to buy some toilet roll……..

Has fuel panic buying started? - paul 1963

Round my way, yes. All stations locally now empty. The stupidity of the whole situation is summed up by my wife’s car. It currently has quarter of a tank of diesel in which is enough for her to use it normally for at least a week if not a week and a half.

Why people feel the need to desperately fill up their cars with fuel they in some cases don’t actually need is beyond me. Rant over, I’m off to buy some toilet roll……..

Totally agree Chris!

Ps: I have several kilos of dried pasta if anyone's interested...:)

Has fuel panic buying started? - Sprice

Around my way I notic

Has fuel panic buying started? - Xileno

Not noticed anything around here (West Wilts) although the town where I live is a bit sleepy so it might take a week or so for people to realise what's going on.

I was lucky back in 2000 with the last fuel shortage. I was driving around in an old 1988 Golf (pre-cat) so could use the LRP pump which was not used much as most cars needed unleaded. Several times all the pumps were dry except the LRP one.

Has fuel panic buying started? - movilogo

Yes, huge queue around supermarkets. Shorter queue around Texaco, BP pumps. I had to take a detour to avoid these queues.

When I filled up at lunch time today it was still normal.

Has fuel panic buying started? - John F

Mrs F noticed long queues at Tesco pumps this lunchtime, busier than a usual Friday.

Has fuel panic buying started? - Smileyman

It's in the local paper, long queues and pumps not working in many parts of Kent, I might actually venture out in the car over the weekend, hopefully matters will have normalised, time will tell.

Has fuel panic buying started? - Ethan Edwards

Yes panicky mowrons queuing outside our local station tonight. The power of the Mainstream Media to misinform and whip up people into a frenzy cannot be understated. I think there need to be prosecutions and soon.

Still give it a few days and the stories will start of people storing petrol in fish tanks , plastic bags , sinks etc. Fires and subsequent loss of life. All totally avoidable. That's why the journalists/ Editors responsible for the deaths need jailing.

In a week supplies will be pretty much back where they were and panic buyers will have a surplus of petrol to add to their mountains of toilet rolls, dried pasta and lots of other stuff. People are going crazy.

So much for the stiff upper lip. Keep calm and carry on.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 24/09/2021 at 21:36

Has fuel panic buying started? - Andrew-T

The power of the Mainstream Media to misinform and whip up people into a frenzy cannot be understated.

I think you may have got this wrong ? :-) (but then a lot of people do)

Has fuel panic buying started? - FoxyJukebox
Panic buying is when a driver gets their “fix” with a full tank then keeps coming back to a petrol queue after having driven only a mile or 10.
Minimum charge to a petrol station visit £40?
Has fuel panic buying started? - HGV ~ P Valentine

Yes.

The local Tesco and Morrisons have run out of fuel in Littlehampton

and

Sainsburys, and Tesco in Chichester.

There is loads of fuel, but the euro union, and the gov stopped all funding for driver training about 10 years ago, and then introduced the minimum wage meaning even those who want to train as a hgv driver cannot afford it.

ALL the big boys, BP, Esso, Shell etc have huge profits over the last 10 years and earned billions over this tiume, but the amount of money they have spent bringin in new drivers to the industry is nil, nothing, nada.

Even when you pass your test, most company insurance companies will not cover anyone unless they have had their hgv license for 2 years.

If you do not bring in new people into any industry then it dies,

Edited by A Driver since 1988, HGV 2006 on 24/09/2021 at 22:23

Has fuel panic buying started? - Ian_SW

It's sort of started round me in rural North Yorkshire.

We're off on a long trip to visit family tomorrow, and I'd originally just intended to fill up on the way out of town. The prospect of having to queue for any amount of tomorrow,at the start of a 3 hour journey, with the kids in the car caused me to make a special trip to buy petrol this evening. Hopefully buying petrol about 10 hours earlier than originally intended doesn't count as panic buying!

Normally if I visit our local petrol station at 10pm on a Friday night, it's so quiet I have to first go and knock on the window to wake the cashier up, with the only very occasional customers at that time being people stopping on their walk back from the pub to buy cigarettes or beer. Tonight nearly every pump was in use, though they hadn't run out of anything yet other than sweets.

Has fuel panic buying started? - bathtub tom

So everyone else is running around with a tankful of E10, which is reputed to 'go off'' in a short space of time?

I'll eek out what I've got in my tank and hopefully the price may drop.

Has fuel panic buying started? - Metropolis.

Trouble is, I see reports of panic buying, and although I would not have panic bought purely on being told about the underlying causes i.e. shortage of HGV drivers, etc etc., I DO panic buy when it gets reported that others are panic buying, because I do not want to be the one caught having stayed home while the neighbours have brimmed their tanks, only to have to make a journey without knowing if i will be able to get enough fuel.

Yes, I am aware that I am part of the problem and "if we all did that...", but it's reality.

Has fuel panic buying started? - sammy1

You can imagine the panic trying to charge your EV before the lights go out or the wind stops blowing!

Has fuel panic buying started? - Ethan Edwards

Or my Solar PV stops producing clean energy.....when is the sun stopping due to climate change. Has St Greta of Planetary Doom given us an estimate? Meantime day 3 of owning an EV went very well.

Has fuel panic buying started? - mcb100
A real quandary for me today, in that I need a full tank on Wednesday morning for a working trip.
Do I wait until Tuesday evening and hope that things have settled down, or fill up today, four days before necessary, and become part of the problem?
I buckled and joined the masses at my local Costco filling station, who had staff in hi-viz jackets directing traffic on and off site.
As I was fuelling, a tanker arrived with fresh supplies.
Has fuel panic buying started? - Lee Power

Local Sainsburys filling station reported ran out of fuel 7pm yesterday - fresh supplies due this morning.

Went past an Esso this morning, forecourt packed & about 10 cars still queuing out on to the road blocking the bus lane.

Has fuel panic buying started? - madf

Panic buying Stoke on Trent. Almost all stations empty.

Prepare for a long 2 years like this.

Has fuel panic buying started? - Big John

I drove from Yorkshire to Gloucestershire yesterday and had no trouble filling up at the Tesco in Cheltenham. However I've noticed that my usual E5 Greenenergy wasn't available at Tesco here and at home before I left.

Edited by Big John on 25/09/2021 at 09:41

Has fuel panic buying started? - Steveieb

Maybe not a good idea to fill up with E10 fuel if you are not planning to use it. All that Ethanol damaging fuel lines and seals . Just use what you have or fill up with Esso Superunleaded which is believed to have the least ethanol of all fuels.

Maybe not a good idea to fill up with E10 fuel if you are not planning to use it. All that ethanol damaging fuel lines and seals.

I'm not sure why 10% ethanol should attack lines and seals many times faster than it does at a 5% level - which we have all been using for many years. No doubt there will be a difference, but it won't happen overnight. Use it up in the normal way, then revert to E5 when necessary.

Or you could leave the cap off the filler and let some evaporate .... :-)

Our local Shell station had completely run out of petrol and diesel this morning. There was a small hand written sign that could only be seen from one direction, resulting in vehicles coming from the other direction making a fruitless precession through the forecourt.

Garage near me - still petrol but a long queue. Diesel sold out. Fortunately I bought petrol last weekend so have half a tank. Will last me three months at my current mileage.

Has fuel panic buying started? - nellyjak

Does seem that many love a frenzied panic....which of course only makes things worse and creates "shortages"..can you imagine the millions of gallons of unneccessary fuel sloshing about in the nation's fuel tanks.!

I have a 400 mile round trip coming up in about a weeks time...can only hope the panic has died down a little by then...I refuse to buy fuel yet that I don't actually need now.!

I refuse to buy fuel yet that I don't actually need now.!

There is the other point that fuel prices are rising, which also makes people buy sooner instead of later ?

Has fuel panic buying started? - dervdave

Baaaaaa

Maybe....and prices are certainly rising...my local garage went from 132 to 140p per litre in the space of a few hours.!!...but thankfully I don't use enough of the stuff for it to bother me unduly.

Has fuel panic buying started? - Falkirk Bairn

7.30am arrived at Tesco - 6 cars at 10 pumps.

Left at 8am 20+ cars and all the pumps in use.

Looks like a busy day ahead for the filling station staff

Asda Colchester Petrol station closed.

Has fuel panic buying started? - Lee Power

Local Shell garage ran out of fuel this afternoon - entrance blocked to stop people driving on to the forecourt, so the panic buyers decided to drive in via the exit ignoring the staff standing there telling them they where closed as they had ran out of fuel.

Still queuing to get in to the Esso when I passed this afternoon.

Give it a few days and i suspect the panic will be over.

Has fuel panic buying started? - Terry W

Toliet rolls - you can go out and buy a dozen rolls every day until the spare room is full to the ceiling, enough to wipe your a*** every day for the next two years.

You can only panic and fill a car up once.

Once the tank is full you then have no where else to put more fuel purchases until you have used whatever you have bought - bar possibly a few 5L cans.

So the panic will end as quickly as it started!

Has fuel panic buying started? - Robert J.
My mate just sent me a photo of his local pub with a sign that says ‘beer shortages soon, panic buy here’
Tried to buy potatoes yesterday in a small indie and the shopkeeper told me he couldn’t understand why there had been a “serious run on spuds this morning “…
Odd.
Has fuel panic buying started? - daveyK_UK
No fuel at the service station on the M1 which was not helpful.

Why can’t they simply limit consumption to say £40 worth?
Has fuel panic buying started? - FP

"Why can’t they simply limit consumption to say £40 worth?

If you mean £40 as a minimum spend that would make sense.

A maximum limit would mean people could still put a couple of quids' worth in.

Has fuel panic buying started? - Engineer Andy

Toliet rolls - you can go out and buy a dozen rolls every day until the spare room is full to the ceiling, enough to wipe your a*** every day for the next two years.

You can only panic and fill a car up once.

Once the tank is full you then have no where else to put more fuel purchases until you have used whatever you have bought - bar possibly a few 5L cans.

So the panic will end as quickly as it started!

I did find it amusing back when 'bog roll shortages' were apparent last year that also there was a run on baked bean cans as well.

In the case of fuel, people 'in authority' saying "there's no need to panic buy" is followed 99% of the time with people panic buying, especially when the media hyped it up as well.

Has fuel panic buying started? - Pondlife

Drove from Birmingham to Bromley yesterday evening. Bought 20L in Birmingham "just in case" at £ 1.52 / litre (the third place I tried). On the way down I saw signs saying "thurrock services no fuel", "M25 J5/J6 no fuel" (I think that's clackett lane) and "M20 (some junction no I've forgotten) no fuel".

In Bromley all four of my local stations are out of fuel. Luckily I bount that 20L as I've still got half a tank to last out the panic buying with no long trips on the horizon.

Friday I filled up my new car, The dealer put in £15 worth and I added 32.88 litres @ £1.419 a litre.

All out of fuel here now. (colchester) Lucky I still have 4 packs of toilet rolls left from las year, so no need to panic buy...

Has fuel panic buying started? - catsdad

Are those rolls your Brexit stock or your COVID one? Panic buying is such hard work.

I am still drinking my brexit stock of upmarket French reds. Post brexit.

Has fuel panic buying started? - Bolt

In Bromley all four of my local stations are out of fuel.

I went through Bromley yesterday and most are closed except for shopping, but a neighbour commented a driver on opposite pump side to him stopped at £5.02 so didnt need that much -for an hour and a half wait to get in?? must have already had nearly full tank and topped up

Heard on the radio that some nurses were late for their shifts as they were unable to buy petrol and ambulances taking longer to refuel as they had to travel further afield than normal.

Shame there isn't a vaccine for stupidity.

Went out this evening in the car for the first time in two weeks (WFH has some benefits!). Passed several petrol stations with rather expensive unleaded, all closed, local Tesco & Sainsbury both advertised unleaded at £1.339 per litre but also closed. Maybe if any had been open and without a queue I might have been tempted to stop, but the fuel tank in my car is over half full, and Mrs S's car half full so no need to panic, or to buy, certainly enough to last until next weekend. Hopefully matters will more normal by then.

On Saturday there could be only one reporter to be sent out to petrol stations to cover the fuel crisis for BBC Breakfast.

His name is Phil McCann.

Saw this on another forum:

My local Tesco have 2 attendants at the entrance. Anyone with over half a tank is being turned away.

As a result the 7 out of 10 they are turning away is resulting in the forecourt operating as normal. One guy drove through them and a quick walkie talkie call meant his pump didn't get activated.

Has fuel panic buying started? - daveyK_UK
M1 forecourts no petrol or diesel to cars, but diesel available to HGVs!

Is that because they use separate storage and higher pressure pumps that cars can’t use?

Has fuel panic buying started? - Falkirk Bairn

No petrol problems for me.

I have just looked out my 1973 Petrol Rationing Book.

Petrol could have been rationed because of the1973 oil price rises made by OPEC.

The books were issued but were never actually required.

Nowadays with everything online they could just issue ration coupons online using DVLA data. Foolproof……oh hang on.

Has fuel panic buying started? - Bilboman

Is that because they use separate storage and higher pressure pumps that cars can’t use? Also larger nozzles, so car drivers couldn't even get a DERV nozzles into a car (although aftermarket adaptors do exist and accidents can happen!) Petrol nozzles are 21mm, standard diesel 25 and HGV diesel nozzles larger still (28mm IIRC). The AA are reporting a 400% increase in cases of misfuelling, with all the panic and impatience. Even a few fist fights, what has the country come to?
In an ideal world, misfuelling would be physically impossible, and petrol nozzles would be larger to prevent the much more serious consequences of putting petrol into a diesel engine. Another missed trick, obviously too late now, would be to have made the nozzles a different shape (oval, square, hexagonal).

Monday morning-News headlines in re topped newspaper media and breakfast tv all reporting fuel crisis, fuel shortages, no drivers ,closed garages and sad looking motorists sitting in long queues. They love stirring it don't they?

Can't see any evidence of this in East Sussex other than an ordered busy morning in most places.If there is queuing I assume folk are either skiving off work, down to their last trickle or working from home and desperate to get out of the house.

I do like the idea though of a minimum order charge. Hopefully that will stop any Loony Topper Uppers.

But but-I'm sure it will all calm down in a day or so.

Sunday morning I walked round to my local Morrisons to do some shopping, passed the filling station at about 7.55 and caught sight of about 10 vehicles waiting to use, what appeared to be 2 operational pumps, when they opened at 8!.

Had the pleasure of my Mother in law for lunch too and she was complaining about the people panic buying fuel. Before going on to say that she planned to fill her car up 'just in case', despite her tank being half full and her being retired!. Reminded me of chatting to a customer last year who was complaining about panic buying in the supermarkets early on in Covid. Then casually dropping into the conversation that she had bought two 18 roll packs of toilet paper, for her and her husband!.

But coming back from B&Q this morning I passed a local independent filling station who didn't appear to have run out (no signs saying so) but no cars on the forecourt. So hopefully all the muppets have filled up now, or realised the futility of what they were doing.

Its the 2,000 mile a year with half a tank refillers that will see the end of this madness as they won't fuel again until Christmas!

If there seriously was no problem, then empty stations would be refilled within 24 hours.

The fact that loads of them are left empty tells you how serious the situation really is.

I would imagine that as deliveries must be less, refill intervals have been stretched to minimise deliveries. As a result average stock levels have fallen. And cannot be refilled quickly.

The BBC quoted as example of a filling station (real)

Average daily demand 8,000 litres. Demand when panic started 28,000 litres. Empty within 24 hours. Refill time 10 days.

So based on their normal usage they would have run out of stock in under 4 days and been empty for the next six.

So panic buying is logical and the correct thing to do.

Edited by madf on 27/09/2021 at 12:53

Do you believe all that the media (including the BBC) tell you?

A separate search shows that fuel deliveries are normally scheduled every 2 or 3 days. So a forecourt selling 8000 litres a day may expect to have a storage capacity of (say) 4 days to meet normal demand fluctuations - 32000 litres.

At the point the panic started they may not have had full tanks - so a single day demand of 28000 litres would likely empty them.

As tanker deliveries are limited because of people in panic mode, it is inevitable some retailers will have more buying power than others - perhaps this forecourt was a small independant with limited clout!

It is news to turn a problem into a crisis - they don't report on those with adequate stocks and/or replenishent plans - it simply won't attract the viewers!

It is news to turn a problem into a crisis - they don't report on those with adequate stocks and/or replenishent plans - it simply won't attract the viewers!

"

If supplies are adequate and it's all made up, then the above DM article cannot be true.

As the Government was warned 3 months ago - and did nothing , I would expect average stock levels have fallen by at least 30% in that time.

Edited by madf on 27/09/2021 at 14:37

So panic buying is logical and the correct thing to do.

Logical for an individual, but not for society of which that individual is just one. But we all know the answer to that.

I'm not sure it is ever 'logical' to do something prefixed by the word panic.

In the case of my Mother in law, and I'd guess at least 50% of those queuing for petrol, it isn't logic driving them, but selfishness, or at best, thoughtlessness. Because they don't need to use their car, they just choose to through convenience, habit and laziness. Meanwhile, it is people who do actually need to use their car end up being the ones who suffer for the behaviour of others.

Earlier in the pandemic, there were plenty of stories about nurses (and other key workers) coming (absolutely knackered) off a 12 hour shift, stopping into the shop or supermarket to get something to eat but couldn't because those same types as above were going in and scraping everything off the shelves into their trolleys. This isn't very different, and I can well imagine those same key workers who simply haven't the time (even if they wanted to) to sit queuing for petrol, coming off their shift and not being able to fill their car up due to that same 'ME ME ME' mentality which seems to come so naturally to modern society.

Edited by badbusdriver on 27/09/2021 at 16:03

... that same 'ME ME ME' mentality which seems to come so naturally to modern society.

I wonder when we may begin to hear of people stealing fuel from other vehicles' tanks, probably by drilling a hole in the bottom, as siphoning is pretty tricky these days ?

"I wonder when we may begin to hear of people stealing fuel from other vehicles' tanks,"

I'm sure read that it had already started.

Then casually dropping into the conversation that she had bought two 18 roll packs of toilet paper, for her and her husband!.

If toilet paper is the only thing in the supermarket trolley, you soon won't need that either ?

Has fuel panic buying started? - Warning

All those people who bought surplus fuel are carrying around with them more fuel then they need. It is hitting their fuel economy. I tend to fill up to a 1/3 fuel tank. I avoid filling the tank to full unless, I am going on a long trip.....

All those people who bought surplus fuel are carrying around with them more fuel then they need. It is hitting their fuel economy. I tend to fill up to a 1/3 fuel tank. I avoid filling the tank to full unless, I am going on a long trip....

Even on a largish car a full tank will weigh about 50 kilos (about 60 litres) at most, or as much as one small adult, so I doubt it will affect economy much. It could improve roadholding marginally as it will lower the centre of gravity by a few millimetres.

But I rarely travel with a tank over half full. There may be a tiny advantage in keeping the fuel level low, if only in shortening the distance a thief can drive your car before having to stop for fuel :-)

"Petrol stations should turn away anyone who already has more then 1/2 tank of fuel. Unless they are a taxi, delivery van..... This would stop the hoarding of fuel...."

I would like to know how you would achieve that - a bouncer checking every car's fuel gauge before the pump starts ?

Edited by Andrew-T on 27/09/2021 at 23:24

I would like to know how you would achieve that - a bouncer checking every car's fuel gauge before the pump starts ?

My local supermarket had at least 4 staff in yellow viz on the roads, to manage the long queues into the petrol station.

My local supermarket had at least 4 staff in yellow viz on the roads, to manage the long queues into the petrol station.

Waiting to see people trying to bribe them with toilet rolls.

Petrol stations should turn away anyone who already has more then 1/2 tank of fuel. Unless they are a taxi, delivery van.....

This would stop the hoarding of fuel....

I think there may be some logistical and ethical issues with a filling station attendant who may or may not have Covid/be double jabbed, sitting in your car, or at least sticking their head in to see what your fuel gauge is reading! :-)

As for putting a third of a tank in rather than filling it up?. Well the tank in our Suzuki Ignis holds 32 litres, so putting a third in it mean lugging round a tad more than 20kg. Trip computer is set to reset average mpg after I fill it up, and last time this happened I was on my way to see my parents. By the time I got home, having covered circa 35 miles, the average economy was saying 65mpg (that was driving with economy in mind but not being silly about it). I very much doubt carrying 20kg less would have made any noticeable difference. As for the van, its tank holds 60 litres, so the weight saving is a bit more than the Ignis. But I start the day with 400kg of water in the back (probably just over 2000kg in total), so next to that, 40kg of fuel is again going to make such a tiny difference as to be irrelevant.

Plus, I really just couldn't be bothered going into a filling station any more than I have to!.

Interview by news reporter with lady in her car:

"why are you queueing?"

"I saw the queue so I thought I ought to join it. I've been sitting here for hours"

She obvoiusly doesn't realise that it is her behaviour that is causing the problem she is complaining about.

Why limit people to £30 if they fill up - it just encourages those with 2/3 full tanks to top up. Much better to have a minimum of £30 however little is put in. 10 litres - that'll be £3 a litre. Soon sort out the time wasters.

The number of petrol stations approximates to the optimum number required in normal circumstances to avoid significant queues. A little like a busy motorway - if traffic levels increase by only a small amount, average speeds fall dramatically.

As soon as forecourt visitor numbers increase beyond capacity a queue will form. As soon as a queue forms it provokes public panic over shortages - so even more people queue.

Conclusion - individuals behave rationally (mostly), but the public as a group have largely created the problem they are now complaining so vociferously about!

I totally agree with the £30 / 25 litres minimum approach, weeding out the small quantity shopper will reduce the queues and enable those who are low on fuel to shop with reduced queue time. I only fill up when 1/4 - full or less, usually (when in normal times) purchasing circa 40 - 45 litres.

I totally agree with the £30 / 25 litres minimum approach,

Nice idea, but how does anyone [a] work out whether the tank can take that much, or [b] prevent a punter starting to pump before finding he can only take less than that ?

Surely a maximum is more sensible and workable ?

"Nice idea, but how does anyone [a] work out whether the tank can take that much, or [b] prevent a punter starting to pump before finding he can only take less than that ?"

That's not how it works - or should work.

Anyone who uses a pump pays the minimum, unless they take more - in which case, they pay for what they take. For those who cannot fit the minimum into their tank - hard luck. You pay the minimum anyway.

It would be a good way of weeding out those who are wasting everyone else's time.

Anyone who uses a pump pays the minimum, unless they take more - in which case, they pay for what they take. For those who cannot fit the minimum into their tank - hard luck. You pay the minimum anyway.

Fair enough, that would work. Basically each filling station pockets a bonus by fining greedy drivers, unless the extra cash is passed on to the providers. I guess there may be some who might consider taking their full whack and pouring the excess on the forecourt ?

Fair enough, that would work. Basically each filling station pockets a bonus by fining greedy drivers, unless the extra cash is passed on to the providers. I guess there may be some who might consider taking their full whack and pouring the excess on the forecourt ?

Even more stupid (dangerous) - people filling up jerry cans and storing them in their homes.

<< Even more stupid (dangerous) - people filling up jerry cans and storing them in their homes. >>

Do you have a petrol-driven mower, Andy ? I have a 5-litre can of petrol for mine, which I empty into the car at the end of the mowing season. Stored in my (integral) garage, and haven't had any fires yet.

Good idea-but not if the motor is two stroke!
Good idea-but not if the motor is two stroke!

Lol - it's a Hayter with a Briggs & Stratton motor. At the moment it starts first or second pull, burns no oil, runs for an hour on one small tank ....

<< Even more stupid (dangerous) - people filling up jerry cans and storing them in their homes. >>

Do you have a petrol-driven mower, Andy ? I have a 5-litre can of petrol for mine, which I empty into the car at the end of the mowing season. Stored in my (integral) garage, and haven't had any fires yet.

No - I live in a flat, and a near neighbour - who is a 'part-time' gardener - decided to store his petrol-driven mower, hedge trimmer and cans of petrol in landlords' utility/firemans' access cupboards or the communal cycle store. He once even left a can of petrol outside in the bin store area (in the sun) for days.

That's both incredibly irresponsible, potentially dangerous (explosion risk) against the law and his lease/rental agreement.

House owners obviously have less rules to follow, but they too should be responsible in where and how they store fuel - including following the law. If people want to disregard their own safety (I'm not saying you have), that's down to them, but disregarding that of others - often who have no knowledge of what they are doing - is completelky irresponsible at best and criminally negligent at worst.

<< If people want to disregard their own safety (I'm not saying you have), that's down to them, but disregarding that of others - often who have no knowledge of what they are doing - is completely irresponsible at best and criminally negligent at worst. >>

Just to clarify - my can of mower petrol is kept beside the NW-facing garage door for convenience. That garage already has a 50-litre container of petrol underneath the car that lives inside, so the overall risk has hardly changed.

<< If people want to disregard their own safety (I'm not saying you have), that's down to them, but disregarding that of others - often who have no knowledge of what they are doing - is completely irresponsible at best and criminally negligent at worst. >>

Just to clarify - my can of mower petrol is kept beside the NW-facing garage door for convenience. That garage already has a 50-litre container of petrol underneath the car that lives inside, so the overall risk has hardly changed.

That's OK - I wasn't making any acusations against your good self - more that some people (including those photographed by the media) have been panic buying as much fuel as possible - often using recepticles not designed to safely hold flammable fuel, who would likely not have somewhere safe to store them.

Has fuel panic buying started? - Bilboman

"Panic buying" implies motorists filling up/topping up when they normally would not, owing to a feeling of panic. Therefore, no one should be topping up with a measly 3 litres, or worse still filling a jerry can, in the current situation.
Well staffed filling stations only need to check fuel levels before topping up (driver opens door and windows, switches ignition to first notch and shows gauge) and insist on pre-payment of a minimum spend of however much they decide. Any surplus is transferred to a fuel card tied to only one registration number, valid for another 3 months.. Attendant signs and stamps receipt.

I refuse to demean myself by getting into a petrol queue. I'll either go nowhere by car or use bus. It'll be inconvenient but nothing lasts forever.

I refuse to demean myself by getting into a petrol queue. I'll either go nowhere by car or use bus. It'll be inconvenient but nothing lasts forever.

Nice if you have the choice. No viable bus services here..(unless you have a spare day)

I think my local supermarket is losing money because of fuel crisis.

This morning there was huge queue to enter the pump. Since for shopping also cars need to enter using same route, lot of people are avoiding entering altogether and hence the car park was almost empty. Some cars started entering via exit path - ignoring no entry ?? sign.

Are people eating less because they can't get into the supermarket - my guess would be not.

So if they buy a little less today because of congestion, they will probably buy a little more next week and stick it in the freezer.

The real loser are businesses that cannot simply shift demand - will supporters drive 100 iles to an away match - the match will still go on but they may not be there. Same for restaurants - will you go out to eat twice next week because you didn't go last week.

OTOH will you go and visit the MiL (who lives 200 miles away) twice next month because you missed last month.

It's all sooooooo difficult.

Has fuel panic buying started? - John F

Panic/rational behaviour over? Mrs F just returned home via Kettering Tesco - no queue, only one car in front and vacant pumps available. She thinks the tanker must have recently been.

Panic/rational behaviour over? Mrs F just returned home via Kettering Tesco - no queue, only one car in front and vacant pumps available. She thinks the tanker must have recently been.

sadly, I doubt it....methinks it will take a bit longer yet for the panic brigade to get it out of their system....it is time we started to see some improvement I agree.

Has fuel panic buying started? - focussed

You ain't seen nothing yet I reckon.

Brent crude is set to hit $80 a barrel for November delivery. And there is some speculation on the possibility of $100 a barrel by xmas.

But will that price curb demand sufficiently to bring the price down?

www.reuters.com/business/energy/bofa-could-bring-f.../

I would keep your tanks full, as soon as you can buy any fuel.

Expensive fuel means that the gilets jaune will probably kick off over here in France again, with all the usual goings on - blockading fuel depots - burning tyres etc.

I returned from Rugby to Colchester yesterday, Fuelled up normally @ about 5pm at the BP by the football stadium/park and ride.

I returned from Rugby to Colchester yesterday, Fuelled up normally @ about 5pm at the BP by the football stadium/park and ride.

Sounds like some areas have either not gone so potty or at least regained some semblance of sanity after the past few days of panic-buying.

I returned (on foot) from grocery shopping at my local Tesco about an hour ago, wherby they had large queues at their filling station when I arrived, then hardly any when I left the shop about 20-25 mins later, but that was because the filling station had run out of diesel.

The Esso garage 100yds down the road was completely out of fuel and was closed. All at 10am on a Wednesday. Big queues/chaos on the roads and lots of honking of horns around filling stations in my parents' home town over the weekend.

I'll wait until next week to fill up when I'm popping in to get my car's recall done. Mine's currently at around 1/4 - 1/3 full and rarely used.

Hopefully by then the madness will have either ended or reduced enough to not have to wait 30 mins to fill up or spend and hour driving around (as my neighbour did last Friday) to find any filling station still with fuel.

Takes me back to the fuel strikes of 1999 (?). And to think people then were complaining about the price reaching £1/litre.

The UK government (or any other government) can do sweet FA about international crude oil prices which are driven by supply and demand. The only possibility is to persuade the oil producing nations to pump more out of the ground - but why would they?

FWIW petrol and diesel are incredibly cheap given what they can do - eg: shift 1.5 tons of metal and passengers 50 miles inside an hour. Ox cart, or horse drawn canal barge would take 2 days and a lot of physical effort to achieve the same result.

Ask yourself - at what price would you change the way you conduct your life, and at what price would you radically change lifestyle to all but eliminate petrol/diesel use.

For me the first level would be £2-3/litre, the second would be £5-10/litre. Assuming I use around 1000 litres a year - £3/L would cost me an extra £1500pa (affordable, annoying, about the cost of a decent holiday). £7.50/L (£6000 extra pa) would probably lead me to want to make major changes.

No point in complaining - get used to it and make it work!t

Has fuel panic buying started? - focussed

I'm not complaining, but a lot of people who are living on the edge now will be if basic fuel for them to get to their work gets to be unaffordable.

If road fuel gets to the prices you are talking about over here, France will be in flames from end to end.

Don't forget,

In the UK the people are afraid of the government.

In France the government are afraid of the people.

I'm not complaining, but a lot of people who are living on the edge ....

Many - not all, but many - of those people chose to live near an edge and may have to retrench. Life doesn't always move forward and become easier. Many years ago two trendy words were 'soggy' and 'crunchy' - circumstances had to have some crunch so that necessity could mother some invention. If things became a bit soggy that tended to stop.

In this century most people feel life has cheated them if they can't afford a car. In the 1950s, although my father had a respectable job, we had no car for several years. Local transport was by bike or bus; train to visit relatives further away. Because of widespread car ownership, bus and train options are now less available. And don't forget the dire 1970s, when many people worked a 3-day week.

Has fuel panic buying started? - Bromptonaut

And don't forget the dire 1970s, when many people worked a 3-day week.

The three day week lasted from January to early March 1974; not the whole of the decade.

No doubt there were other episodes of industrial action and short time working in various industries but things were generally on an upward plane until the government's anti inflation policy began to fail in late 1978.

And don't forget the dire 1970s, when many people worked a 3-day week.

The three day week lasted from January to early March 1974; not the whole of the decade.

I'm sorry you thought I implied that we worked a 3-day week through the 1970s - I never suggested that, merely that the 1970s were dire, as most of them were. Rather direr than the 2020s, even allowing for pandemics, Brexit and Boris.

I recall being on a shift system in the few months this ridiculous 70's scheme was running. We worked 5 days on and 3 days off normally--and that continued throughout the 3 day week--no change. Felt cheated.

Anyway--cheers to those ending their furlough today. Unless you are now working from home--I guess your first job is to try and buy some petrol.

Has fuel panic buying started? - Gibbo_Wirral

I'm not complaining, but a lot of people who are living on the edge now will be if basic fuel for them to get to their work gets to be unaffordable.

I remember people saying they'd give up their cars when fuel reached £1 a litre

Has fuel panic buying started? - dan86

Just got some diesel only had to que for about 20 minutes once I found a station that had fuel only took 8 attempts. One van driver was filling up his van and 6 of the big metal Jerry cans. Absolute madness on some people's behalfs

Also scenes at a forecourt near me m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10165533991645...3, absolutely disgraceful

Edited by dan86 on 29/09/2021 at 15:06

Has fuel panic buying started? - leaseman

Having today reached the red line on the fuel gauge, I visited my usual Sainsbury forecourt at 14.15 expecting a short queue. 12 pumps all in operation and I had to choose between 6 empty spaces.

No rationing, so put 47 litres of Diesel in the car at the usual cost per litre. (No exploitation)

Visit took 8 minutes in total, even though there was one cashier operating the till.

Crisis.....WHAT CRISIS????

One van driver was filling up his van and 6 of the big metal Jerry cans. Absolute madness on some people's behalfs

Report in today's Times of someone in Romiley (that's SE Manchester) asking £50 for a 10 litre can of E10 on Facebook - and that didn't include the can. So £5 a litre, that's real profiteering, and it presumes any punter has fuel to get there and collect ....

The 1970s were a decade of economic and social lows. The 3 day week encapsulates some of the stresses which included:

• a decade of strikes compared to which the general strike of 1926 is insignificant
  • the winter of discontent
  • inflation averaging ~12% with a peak of 22% pa
  • two major recessions - one due to oil prices
  • rubbish on the streets, bodies unburied

One could debate endlessly where responsibility lay for the woeful situation - unions, management, politicians - all three must take some. It was an unmitigated disaster of a decade for which there few (if any) redeeming features.

Has fuel panic buying started? - leaseman

The 1970s were a decade of economic and social lows. The 3 day week encapsulates some of the stresses which included:

• a decade of strikes compared to which the general strike of 1926 is insignificant
  • the winter of discontent
  • inflation averaging ~12% with a peak of 22% pa
  • two major recessions - one due to oil prices
  • rubbish on the streets, bodies unburied

One could debate endlessly where responsibility lay for the woeful situation - unions, management, politicians - all three must take some. It was an unmitigated disaster of a decade for which there few (if any) redeeming features.

Not sure what your point is Terry.

In the 1970's

I graduated from University, moved to Hull as no-one else wanted to live there. Represented the City at Basketball, moved to Teesside, as no-one else wanted to live there, bought my first house whilst everyone else was weeping and wailing about how bad things were (10% interest mortgage) and just got on with life. No chance for Snowflakes who have existed for centuries, but who have now found a voice, through other folk's efforts.

Life's a kitchen, and if it gets too hot..... Stop Cooking and give in.

Had to queue for 10 mins in local supermarket this morning. But situation is improving. Last week there were half a mile long queues outside every pump.

Last night all 3 pumps around me were dry.

Just got in from a drive around Taunton to do some shopping.

One forecourt closed. One partially open. Four fully open. No queues.

It is a crisis initiated by media reporting on the back of a few BP forecourts closed last Thursday. The crisis has been fuelled (no pun intended) by media reporting.

Perhaps the new normal is (a) the media create a crisis out of almost nothing, (b) report upon it endlessly, (c) interview countless numpties topping off tanks unnecessarily, (d) sell more papers and advertising.

Next week look forward tp a shortage of mince pies. Queues in the supermarkets etc. Hoarding mince pies. Cries of why the government didn't secure supplies of mince pie filling. All good photo opportunities.

They are pathetic and should be ashamed!

It is a crisis initiated by media reporting on the back of a few BP forecourts closed last Thursday. The crisis has been fuelled (no pun intended) by media reporting.

'Media' to include 'social media', which I suspect is as much to blame as the printed or broadcast varieties.

Totally agree-and I wonder if the media pphoto of the lady in grey jeans filling up empty water bottles with petrol was a “set up”….
I wouldn’t be in the least surprised

"It was an unmitigated disaster of a decade for which there few (if any) redeeming features."

At least we got the Morris Marina.

;-)

"It was an unmitigated disaster of a decade for which there few (if any) redeeming features."

At least we got the Morris Marina.

;-)

I remeber my ration coupons for my honda 50.. insurance £5 a tear.. (on L plates)

with a mate, collecting rubbish in a Transit and dumping it at gates of the tip, charging handsomely for the privilege

My second BL company car was a Moggie Marina, the only time it let me down was when I had a "tryst" on the marshes at Neston (on the wirral, and had the radio on. Damn thing wouldn't start, so had to switch off and wait, but .....

Edited by _ORB_ on 30/09/2021 at 19:39

It's Wirral, not the wirral, no more than it's the Liverpool or the Manchester.

Pedant mode off.

.... or The Gower, for that matter.

.... or The Gower, for that matter.

The Wirral is it's a geographical feature not, like Liverpool or Manchester, a municipality.

Same as The Lake District, The New Forest or The Channel (or for that matter La Manche).

<< The Wirral is it's a geographical feature not, like Liverpool or Manchester, a municipality. Same as The Lake District, The New Forest or The Channel (or for that matter La Manche). >>

False analogy, Bromp. The word 'The' belongs to District or Forest in your examples, and 'Lake' or 'New' describe which of those is referred to. District and Forest are general dictionary words. As confirmation, find me a map which includes 'The' - I think you will find they all just show 'Lake District' or 'New Forest'. As they also show Wirral or Gower.

Anyway, La Manche is usually shown as 'English Channel', not simply Channel. :-)

Avant once said...Don't get excited over Grammar..

So I don't.

Avant once said...Don't get excited over Grammar..

I'm sure he did, ORB. This particular sub-topic is not a misuse of Grammar, as such; merely accepted usage (or misusage) of the established name of something. The sentence objected to was grammatically correct ! :-)

Order your Xmas groceries NOW…..

Again long queue on forecourts this morning. Had to make a detour to avoid the queues.

Roads are quieter than normal. But this is Friday and WFH being new normal, it may not be down to fuel crisis alone.

Agreed--and it will be interesting to see the impact this would have had on shopping centre visits this last week, restaurant throughput and pub volumes ......I bet somebody is on the point of coming up with detailed statistics of empty shops, cancelled bookings and unsold pints--followed of course by a call to the Government for emergency financial support.

Has fuel panic buying started? - mcb100
I’m currently doing some work for a manufacturer of EV’s, and we’re getting people cancelling their test drives in electric cars because they can’t get petrol or diesel to get here. Much irony.

Interesting observation after one week of this shamozzle

Of 3 petrol stations closest all within five miles-( with fuel on and off in stock within 24 hrs) -each has a different sales policy/approach

1) Fill up to £30--then no more--eg so presumably you can top up if you only need 2 litres

2) Minimum fill up charge £35--eg if you only need 2 litres it will cost you £35!

3) Fill up as much as you need-no limits or minimums.

Guess which one has the biggest queue and is often out of stock(dry)--answer -number 2...

Guess which has the smallest queue-answer-number 3

Interesting observation after one week of this shamozzle

Of 3 petrol stations closest all within five miles-( with fuel on and off in stock within 24 hrs) -each has a different sales policy/approach

1) Fill up to £30--then no more--eg so presumably you can top up if you only need 2 litres

2) Minimum fill up charge £35--eg if you only need 2 litres it will cost you £35!

3) Fill up as much as you need-no limits or minimums.

Guess which one has the biggest queue and is often out of stock(dry)--answer -number 2...

Guess which has the smallest queue-answer-number 3

TBH I would've guessed at No.3, then 1, then 2 - quite a few locals have been 'topping up' with ridiculously small amounts every few days (and driving around using quite a bit of fuel to find a filling station that is open and/or without huge queues) even though they don't do much driving or would normally fill up once a week or longer, which makes the situation far worse.

Just back from a walk and checked the two local filling stations - Esso (small one) and a bigger Tesco one - both of which are closed presumably because they have no fuel.

When will this madness end?

When the intellectually challenged stop panic buying fuel they don't actually need and return to their normal fill-up routine.

Edited by nellyjak on 02/10/2021 at 13:56

When the intellectually challenged stop panic buying fuel they don't actually need and return to their normal fill-up routine.

I refer you to what Boris said three days ago.:

"The fuel situation in the UK is starting to improve, PM Boris Johnson has said - as he urged motorists to fill up their cars in the "normal way".

He said the situation at fuel stations was "stabilising" and people should be "confident" to go about their business, after days of queues and pump closures."

As usual, he lied.

Anyone who trusts politicians is naive.

How many people actually 'Fill Up' - i.e. hold the nozzle until it cuts off ? That is something I absolutely NEVER do. Usually I get 20 litres at a time, occasionally 30 if I plan a long journey to somewhere with more expensive fuel. I don't like the idea of a full tank sloshing about and adding unnecessary weight.

If everyone else did likewise, perhaps demand would lessen ?

I always fill my tank to the brim so that I can calculate fuel consumption (I've been doing this since 1991). It also means I visit the filling station less frequently as I fill up when the tank is down to about 1/4 full.

I never carry passengers and very rarely carry any heavy loads, which easily offsets the weight of a full tank of fuel (my Jazz has a 40L tank, so about 30kg when full).

Has fuel panic buying started? - alan1302

How many people actually 'Fill Up' - i.e. hold the nozzle until it cuts off ? That is something I absolutely NEVER do. Usually I get 20 litres at a time, occasionally 30 if I plan a long journey to somewhere with more expensive fuel. I don't like the idea of a full tank sloshing about and adding unnecessary weight.

If everyone else did likewise, perhaps demand would lessen ?

I wait until it clicks off every time - the extra weight will make very little difference.

<< I wait until it clicks off every time - the extra weight will make very little difference. >>

Of course it will make 'very little difference'. Half a tank - say 25 litres - only weighs 20-22 kilos. The point is that if people only half-filled their tank, today's problem would probably be solved in a couple of days.

As most people consider that the actions of one more individual will make 'very little difference' to the overall picture, they do whatever they want. When millions of them do that, quite a big difference results.

Difficult to see right now as cause/effect are circular. There is actually an adequate supply, albeit only just, but it can't sustain increased demand.

Realistically a system that's nicely balanced for 'just in time' will always teeter if demand spikes (or supply fails).

Difficult to see right now as cause/effect are circular. There is actually an adequate supply, albeit only just, but it can't sustain increased demand.

Realistically a system that's nicely balanced for 'just in time' will always teeter if demand spikes (or supply fails).

I suppose things could start to improve as those low users who just filled up 'just in case' now don't need to and those who have been 'topping up' with small amounts get fed up with either 'having to' (they don't) go out to wait in queues on a regular basis just to fill up with less than 10L or filling stations realise what these people are doing and put in place minimum spends for fuel of, say, 25L+.

I find this situation similar to that when drivers see a 'traffic jam' ahead, consult their satnav which tells them to pull off at the next junction (just before the 'jam' starts), whereby everyone does the same, precipitating a huge jam on the alternative route, whilst the original one clears. A sort of 'lemmings' vibe.

Some fuel retailers now taking full advantage of the artificial 'crisis' and significantly bumping up prices. I bet those running filling stations at the motorway service stops or in the near vicinity are making a lot of bank right now.

Has fuel panic buying started? - Steveieb

All’s well as next week the cavalry are coming to rescue us.

With The Mail suggesting that our drivers are undervalued even on salaries of £70 k what chance does the Royal Logistics Corps stand of recruiting with starting salaries of £15985 leading to £20,400 after six months of intensive training?

All’s well as next week the cavalry are coming to rescue us.

With The Mail suggesting that our drivers are undervalued even on salaries of £70 k what chance does the Royal Logistics Corps stand of recruiting with starting salaries of £15985 leading to £20,400 after six months of intensive training?

Most HGV drivers aren't on £70k though.

Sat pm-BBC News now saying the situation is getting worse. However-I take that with a pinch of salt-since at weekends most media newsrooms are staffed by either new recruits or freelancers who love to fly kites when they sniff sensationalism.Specially since there is no other news today anyway except the bad weather.....so-expect headline "Motorists stuck in petrol queue flooded out" or "The Great Chill In-Millions of motorists ditch saturday night out and save petrol by watching TV and eating in"

Sat pm-BBC News now saying the situation is getting worse. However-I take that with a pinch of salt

Might depend where you are, my local area garages within a mile there are 3, fourth is closed for refurb, no one knows when the next tanker is coming in, so some that realy need the fuel drive around outside the area hoping to find a garage that has some, but is getting more difficult to find fuel unless you are lucky enough to catch the tanker filling the tanks in forecourt

I was lucky this morning as bp had just had a delivery and there was a queue of around 1/2 mile to get to it, as I was below 1/4 tank I waited in line, but talking to some others waiting all had not needed fuel for a week or two but needed fuel now so not all panicking

A bus passenger who got off in the queue, as bus had to follow other motors, as no room to overtake the cars, shouted at motorists her frustrations of the wait she had on the bus, air was blue for a while but little did she realise that no one was there for the benefit of there health that I could see, and every fill up appeared to be in excess of £50 including mine so to me its not panicking its just getting what you need for the week

I think the panicking public have stopped it now, but around my way it is very difficult finding fuel and can understand panicking when you drop below 1/4 tank

and no it isnt getting easier it is getting worse as once stocks have gone no one knows when the next batch is coming in which could and has been days away

My local Shell garage had fuel available on Monday and a long queue soon formed, causing the main road through town to snarl up as there was no way for vehicles not stopping for fuel to overtake. However they were out of fuel again by Tuesday and have been so for the rest of the week.

Today I have passed a Morrisons, Jet, Esso, BP, Shell and Asda all within a few miles of home. There were no queues at any of them, so situation normal.

The only one with no fuel was the BP, but that's because unknown to me it has been demolished!

I then called into Lidl which is not a shop I go in often, but at 2pm the empty shelves were noticeable. They had spread products out the fill gaps.

Local garage I normally use was dry this morning. Fortunately I am only driving about ten miles a week at the moment and have half a tank as I refuelled the week before this nonsense began. I'm still trying to save it though, I've been doing more walking and cycling this last week. Every cloud and all that!

I think the panicking public have stopped it now, but around my way it is very difficult finding fuel and can understand panicking when you drop below 1/4 tank

and no it isnt getting easier it is getting worse as once stocks have gone no one knows when the next batch is coming in which could and has been days away

The problem is mainly the i****s (especially those who do low mileage) needlessly filling up from 3/4 (or worse still, even higher) to full rather than doing as we normally would do in letting the tank run down to a 1/4 and then filling up.

The act of panicking is leading to more and more people panicking. We all need to calm down and behave rationally. I suspect that the current times we're living in have not helped the situation, with many people going 'stir crazy' or have (often genuine) serious concerns over their future wellbeing, which means the littlest thing will cause them to act irrationally or set them off in anger.

And to think there has already been talk of power cuts as winter approaches. Sounds rather like a timewarp to the worst days of the 1970s...or maybe worse. At least back then we had some good TV and (occasionally) film to watch.

Has fuel panic buying started? - dan86

Might depend where you are, my local area garages within a mile there are 3, fourth is closed for refurb, no one knows when the next tanker is coming in, so some that realy need the fuel drive around outside the area hoping to find a garage that has some, but is getting more difficult to find fuel unless you are lucky enough to catch the tanker filling the tanks in forecourt

Is that the tesco express esso station bolt? its going to be out of action until at least the end of this month .

Ready for my drive back to Yorkshire Tesco Cheltenham had all fuels available inc my preferred E5 Greenenergy 99RON unleaded. There was no queue which is unusual at the best of times!

I drove past a few filling stations in the area en-route to a restaurant for lunch - no evidence of queues either.

On the M1 North there were some warning displays showing no HGV diesel at one service station.

Compared to the journey down a week ago things seem to have improved somewhat.

Edited by Big John on 02/10/2021 at 21:03

Ready for my drive back to Yorkshire Tesco Cheltenham had all fuels available inc my preferred E5 Greenenergy 99RON unleaded. There was no queue which is unusual at the best of times!

I drove past a few filling stations in the area en-route to a restaurant for lunch - no evidence of queues either.

On the M1 North there were some warning displays showing no HGV diesel at one service station.

Compared to the journey down a week ago things seem to have improved somewhat.

When theres no petrol there are no queues in my area the roads are clear, until you hit a road with fuel in a garage then its a traffic jam.

but its hit and miss if you can find one, personaly I wont go looking for petrol untill I get low enough 1/4 tank or less and see a reasonable queue then I will, took me hour and 10mins this morning to get to BP and fill up, and that was £1.45L but wont need it again for at least a week by then this lot should be at least easier I hope?

When theres no petrol there are no queues in my area the roads are clear, until you hit a road with fuel in a garage then its a traffic jam.

Garages I saw had people filling up but no queues

Admittedly a limited sample.

Yesterday, Colchester to Heathroe.

Colchester, Asda open small queue. BP at Football stadium/park and ride, 2 cars waiting.

Witham, pumps close, then A1 apex corner Edgware shell open no queue, dropped off friend ..

Watford Asda queue and tanker delivering, Shell opposite, open small queue.

Croxley stopped for pub lunch with friends shell open, no queue. Rickmansworth a412 open, small queue. Denham village small queue, Denham A40 two closed. Heston m4 eatbound open no queue, but £1.56 litre. (no I didn't) but looked as the travelodge (dog friendly) was where I was staying last night prior to collecting the boss at Heathrow this morning, (early arrival)

Best surprise of the day was 1 hour from landing to out with bags. YRG called me when through immigration (30 minutes,) and by the time I got there, was waiting for me at the lifts in car park.

On my travels today going past 8 garages only 3 had fuel and had controlled queues ie vehicles were waiting on the same side of road as entrance from both directions which did make it easier...to get past for a change.

thats between Orpington and selhurst park, on way back only one had fuel and according to sign on it nearly out.

but drivers appear to be using common sense in queing today at last, as I was prepared for changing routes but didn`t need to, still not a lot of fuel about but they did say south east is more affected than anywhere else now, population of vehicles probably more in town

This morning in my local supermarket there was no queue. Only few cars fueling - just like a normal day.

Either the crisis has eased or simply people assumed pumps running dry so they didn't bother looking for fuel.

or those who filled up tanks last week don't need any more fuel for some time :-)

"Watford Asda queue and tanker delivering, Shell opposite, open small queue."

Went past there in a bus this morning. Chaos.

The location is the Dome Roundabout in Watford, an intersection on the A41. There are three fuel stations close by. No idea what the situation was at Asda - couldn't see the fuel bit. Shell was closed. Queues which seemed to be for Sainsbury's fuel stretching back onto roads feeding the roundabout. Traffic turning round to find a detour. The bus eventually went the wrong side of a keep-left bollard to get onto the roundabout.

"Watford Asda queue and tanker delivering, Shell opposite, open small queue."

Went past there in a bus this morning. Chaos.

The location is the Dome Roundabout in Watford, an intersection on the A41. There are three fuel stations close by. No idea what the situation was at Asda - couldn't see the fuel bit. Shell was closed. Queues which seemed to be for Sainsbury's fuel stretching back onto roads feeding the roundabout. Traffic turning round to find a detour. The bus eventually went the wrong side of a keep-left bollard to get onto the roundabout.

Ah, the good ol' Dome Roundabout. Used to be my filling-up point of choice (Asda cheapest but busier than Sainsbury's, who normally were only 0.5p a litre more) many moons ago when working that way, as it was almost always dirt cheap, given the competition in the area, less so these days. I normally pop in to treat my car to Shell V-Power on my way on holiday though.

Given how close two of the filling stations are to the roundabout, I can only imagine the choas at rush hour under the current circumstances.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 04/10/2021 at 18:20

Drove up to an empty no queues Shell station with it's yellow light brightly on , red digits clearly signalling todays's price per litre for petrol and diesel --then just as i was about to turn in noticed the dreaded blackboard with hand scribbled "No fuel". Grrrrrrr...

Drove half a mile on to an Esso station with all the lights on, 4 pumps operating with customers and no motorists queuing. Bought petrol.

3 miles away-passed a BP--all the lights off and a thoroughly large white professionally printed placard

" Sorry-out of fuel-closed"

Edited by Dogfuzz on 04/10/2021 at 17:21

Has fuel panic buying started? - Honda jazzer

According According the new the army is now going to be helping to deliver fuel

But comments on news say it will take several months for the Army to put a dent in the amount needed to supply all garages in London south east, I see Tesco had 2 deliveries yesterday with queues not as bad on second fillup

We need a lot more drivers which could take months more to get, and according to news this morning only 27 foreign drivers have taken up jobs here...

But comments on news say it will take several months for the Army to put a dent in the amount needed to supply all garages in London south east, I see Tesco had 2 deliveries yesterday with queues not as bad on second fillup

We need a lot more drivers which could take months more to get, and according to news this morning only 27 foreign drivers have taken up jobs here...

Luckily for my area, the 'government' tanker depot is not too far away (and nor is Buncefield, in the grand scheme), so perhaps will count in my favour. I went for a walk earlier this morning and checked up at the Tesco and Esso filling stations - both of which ran dry a day or two ago, but which were both fully open (no restrictions at the time) and, more importantly, no queues.

I just hope this is a sign of things to come, and prices will start to reduce back down to 'normal' - I may even benefit if I can eke out the last 100 or so miles until there's a (likely short-lived) lull in demand following the end of this 'crisis'.

Apparently only 10 of the 40 tankers the government had 'ready' have been used as yet - which shows the problem is only about a driver shortage and not a fuel shortage, which was artificially inflated into a full blown crisis by the irresponsible actions of some industry lobby groups/firms (who should've been planning for thise and acting years ago, as it was a problem before Brexit and is also affecting the rest of Europe), some politicians and especially the media.

Not helped by the idiocy of 'working from home' for the DVLA and seemingly zero done by its management to get around any issues, hleped by very grateful unions.

Apparently only 10 of the 40 tankers the government had 'ready' have been used as yet - which shows the problem is only about a driver shortage and not a fuel shortage, which was artificially inflated into a full blown crisis by the irresponsible actions of some industry lobby groups/firms (who should've been planning for thise and acting years ago, as it was a problem before Brexit and is also affecting the rest of Europe), some politicians and especially the media.

There had never been any reporting of a fuel shortage that I have seen - just a driver shortage getting fuel to the stations in time...at a few BP stations in the South West to begin with that then it got blown out of proportion in the news on on social media as people start thinking there is a shortage of fuel...it's the toilet roll situation all over again...there was plenty of it but not enough time to get it back on the shelves.

There had never been any reporting of a fuel shortage that I have seen - just a driver shortage getting fuel to the stations in time...at a few BP stations in the South West to begin with that then it got blown out of proportion in the news on on social media as people start thinking there is a shortage of fuel...it's the toilet roll situation all over again...there was plenty of it but not enough time to get it back on the shelves.

I have visions of petrol speakeasys paid for by bog rolls, baked bean cans and dry spaghetti under the table... :-)

I'm currently up in Scarborough/Whitby....what fuel crisis.???

Seems very much a south east problem...certainly no problems up here.

All filling stations open as usual...no queues...no restrictions.

I'm currently up in Scarborough/Whitby....what fuel crisis.??? Seems very much a south east problem...certainly no problems up here. All filling stations open as usual...no queues...no restrictions.

I've just been to the Shell station on A56 in Helsby at 6pm. One other car there, one more arrived while I paid. No crisis here, but it is only a few miles from Stanlow ....

The situation has improved here in south Berkshire. Yesterday there was a fuel tanker on the forecourt of the local Shell station, with a fairly long queue down the main road waiting to be let in. This afternoon I noticed they were still selling fuel but the queue had only 3 vehicles waiting on the main road.

Largish local supermarket gets deliveries every 48 hrs-but only open from 16.00 till midnight. …wonder how long they’ll keep that up, since they keep advertising via Facebook when they have a delivery then people rush and queue all evening till it runs out!

Seems like, at least round my way, things are 'back to normal', with no panic buying or closed filling stations (aside from the normal closures).

In other good news, as Plod are being as ineffectual as usual, motorists have finally had enough of 'Insulate Britian' and taken matters into their own hands and dragged the 'protestors' out of the road.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/10/13/insulate-brita.../

About time too. The Police and Home Office/CPS should hang their heads in shame.

I wonder what would happen if a member of the public was to have some,say, large cable ties and used them to tie the protesters to a tree or other substantial road furniture. I can't see the protesters complain, as they want to be immobile somewhere.

Just wondering aloud , like.

I'll put some in my car now.

I wonder what would happen if a member of the public was to have some,say, large cable ties and used them to tie the protesters to a tree or other substantial road furniture. I can't see the protesters complain, as they want to be immobile somewhere.

Just wondering aloud , like.

I'll put some in my car now.

I'm sure those members of the public would either have serious short-term memory problems (mine ain't so good anyway, which is a good start), or might employ the Lord Nelson "I see no ships" approach when others were performing said 'citizen's arrest'. :-)

I wonder if everyone performing their 'civic duty' in this regard would be named 'Spartacus'...

Seems like, at least round my way, things are 'back to normal', with no panic buying or closed filling stations (aside from the normal closures).

In other good news, as Plod are being as ineffectual as usual, motorists have finally had enough of 'Insulate Britian' and taken matters into their own hands and dragged the 'protestors' out of the road.

About time too. The Police and Home Office/CPS should hang their heads in shame.

What does the law say about what the police can and can't do?

What does the law say about what the police can and can't do?

It certainly says that people obstructing the highway can and should be arrested, rather than offered sympathy and tea as appears to be the case more often than not. I predict (when they next protest) that 'citizens' arrests' or similar will begin to become the norm now that the first one went off relatively smoothly.

If Plod decides to arrest the public who do this, then that will be a PR disaster, further not trust them and just encourage people to act indpendently. We need real coppers in charge, not univeristy-trained woke PR wonks. (who should be fired by their local Police and Crime Commissioner).

If Plod decides to arrest the public who do this, then that will be a PR disaster, further not trust them and just encourage people to act indpendently. We need real coppers in charge, not univeristy-trained woke PR wonks. (who should be fired by their local Police and Crime Commissioner).

Sigh.

Has fuel panic buying started? - Manatee

motorists have finally had enough of 'Insulate Britian' and taken matters into their own hands and dragged the 'protestors' out of the road.

Not sure what it has to do with fuel shortages, but people taking the law into their hands is never going to end well if encouraged.

The Insulate Britain group has a point. I'm pretty sure it would be a better way to reduce fossil fuel usage for home heating than erecting more wind and solar farms.The heat loss from unimproved homes built in the 1980's or earlier can 10-15 times higher than current building standards.

I wonder how Swampy is doing in his HS2 protest at Wendover.

motorists have finally had enough of 'Insulate Britian' and taken matters into their own hands and dragged the 'protestors' out of the road.

Not sure what it has to do with fuel shortages, but people taking the law into their hands is never going to end well if encouraged.

Then perhaps the Police should do the job they are paid quite nicely for then? Thos 'taking the law into their own hands' were understandably at the end of their tether following repeated instances of the Police standing back and doing nothing, and in many cases offering support.

In the current climate (pardon the pun), the Police should've done all they can (and they can do a LOT) to remove said protestors as they are blocking a public highway.

The Insulate Britain group has a point. I'm pretty sure it would be a better way to reduce fossil fuel usage for home heating than erecting more wind and solar farms.The heat loss from unimproved homes built in the 1980's or earlier can 10-15 times higher than current building standards.

Perhaps if the 'protestors' were a bunch of steaming hypocrites - many with poor/no home insulation, driving clapped out old diesels all over Europe on months'long jaunts and across the Atlantic on trips then we might have more sympathy, especially when they could protest on the pavement outside government buildings, rather than bringing major roads to a hault, which creates far more CO2 and, as has been documented, lead to ill people getting a lot worse.

As usual for such groups, they go about things in completely the wrong way.