- Passenger combi type van suggestions ??. - TraceyJC

Hi I need suggestions for my new vehicle I currently have a Qashqai which I will be selling but my requirements have changed

need to carry up to 2 passengers with up 2 large dogs

also need loading space for regular delivery of many boxes up to 10-15 medium size

compact size

sliding doors

As eco friendly as possible

good mpg as doing long distance too

passengers back seats to fold down completely flat for when using as delivery van

as attractive as possible

petrol / hybrid preferred

must have air con

good wheels and clearance for bad weather as live in countryside

budget up to 10000

any ideas I will be very grateful as been researching and I’m not sure which brand as so many to choose from

thank you

Tracey

Edited by TraceyJC on 05/09/2021 at 08:39

- Passenger combi type van suggestions ??. - badbusdriver

Passenger carrying versions of any small van are the most suitable choice for most of your requirements, but I can't think of anything which covers all of them (even ignoring the fact that looks are down to personal preference).

Citroen Berlingo, Peugeot Partner, Fiat Doblo, Ford Tourneo Connect, Renault Kangoo, Mercedes Citan, that sort of thing.

- Passenger combi type van suggestions ??. - Bromptonaut

Berlingo seats tumble to leave a flat floor but take up some space and potentially restrict front seat travel. In at least some versions they can be removed completely.

I have driven a Berlingo van lately and loved it but as a Passenger vehicle with windows its just not doing it for me!

Hi there thanks for your comments yes I am narrowing it down to the passenger vans even the Peugot Bipper passenger for compactness but very boxy but with 10-15 medium size boxes I must bite the bullet! have been looking at Ford B Max today - they are in the running with my price range too! I am asking alot I know! :-)

- Passenger combi type van suggestions ??. - SLO76
Where roughly are you located? I’ll take a look for worthy options nearby but I suspect you’ll need to compromise somewhere here, it’s unlikely any car will fully meet your requirements at this money.
- Passenger combi type van suggestions ??. - nellyjak

There'll be quite a few vehicles that meet SOME of your needs/desires..as for one that meets them all.?...I'm not so sure it exists tbh

- Passenger combi type van suggestions ??. - Bromptonaut

There'll be quite a few vehicles that meet SOME of your needs/desires..as for one that meets them all.?...I'm not so sure it exists tbh

I think that right. The original Berlingo could just about be called compact; ours swallowed the same load as a Xantia estate but with a smaller footprint. The current version, like most modern vans, is designed around a pallet.

The original Berlingo could just about be called compact; ours swallowed the same load as a Xantia estate but with a smaller footprint.

In comparison to the general trend, the current Berlingo is still a relatively compact car, especially taking its interior space into account. It is 2.5cm longer than a Focus hatchback and 11.5cm shorter than a Civic.

The current version, like most modern vans, is designed around a pallet.

As was yours!. Van design has been aimed around the standard pallet size for decades now. Some small vans didn't manage but most do. The clever space saving suspension design on the original Berlingo and Partner (which originated in the Peugeot 305 estate) was amongst the best for liberating the maximum floor space and meant it could easily swallow a standard pallet (1 x 1.2m).

My 2010 Caddy would too, but the space between the wheel arches would be no more than a 1st gen Berlingo despite the Caddy being around 10cm wider.

But back to the OP. While I am not a fan of these personal lease type deals, because of the high prices of used cars, I'd be tempted to take a look at this route. You certainly won't get into a current shape Citroen Berlingo/Peugeot Rifter (the Partner name is now for the van only)/Vauxhall Combo Life for £10k (or even £11k) at the moment, but if a competitive deal were available from the manufacturer, it could be worth considering.

There was a 'semi off road' version of the previous shape Berlingo and Partner with raised ground clearance and a fancy traction control system, but I don't think it was ever offered on the 'car' versions.

- Passenger combi type van suggestions ??. - daveyK_UK
Hi,
Not sure on what size 10 - 15 medium boxes looks like?

One to consider for your money is a Fiat Doblo crew van

It is available in a XL long version which with the 5 seats should fit your needs

They are the cheapest to buy new, 1.6 diesel is actually okay to around 80k miles, in fact the whole van seems to be problem free until you get to 80k when problems start to occur as components wear out and fail.
Think it also came in a 1.3 diesel but it was rare in crew van version, the 1.3 diesel was an enigma, some had problems from 60k with dpfs, turbos, etc where as others did 150k no problem.

I doubt you will find a new shape Citroen Berlingo / Vauxhall Combo / Toyota Proace City / Peugeot Partner for £10k (they are all essentially the same Van in the Crew version).

You may get fortunate and find a 18 / 68 plate Vauxhall Combo Life (MPV version of the van) for £10k with decent mileage on the clock (assuming 50k upwards for your price range), the benefit of the MPV version is the far lower insurance costs compared to the Van version.

There is a post on the Berlingo owners forum of someone who has a Combo Life had there windows dark tinted in the rear and the car looks considerably better but also provides privacy for the transporting of parcels.

Ford Transit connect holds their value and while they drive nice are not problem free

The VW Caddy holds its value but isn’t particularly nice to drive and has plenty of diesel problems,

Edited by daveyK_UK on 05/09/2021 at 14:30

have been looking at Ford B Max today - they are in the running with my price range too! I am asking alot I know! :-)

Stay away from the 1.0 Ecoboost engine, they have a reputation for failures so just not worth the risk.

Hi

I have considered the Fiat Doblo but just a bit too big maybe and reliability wise not sure!

Vauxhall Combi Life look a good choice

See what I mean so many to choose from - my Qashqai is lovely but just not practical anymore for what I need - pet transportation and a pet food delivery job!

What do you think of the Ford B Max?

- Passenger combi type van suggestions ??. - alan1302

Hi

I have considered the Fiat Doblo but just a bit too big maybe and reliability wise not sure!

Vauxhall Combi Life look a good choice

Both those cars are about the same size - the Doblo is only 3mm longer and not as wide.

- Passenger combi type van suggestions ??. - expat

for what I need - pet transportation and a pet food delivery job!

If it is going to be used for business, either full time or part time, then there will be taxation implications. You may be able to offset some of the costs against tax. You need to talk to an accountant about the best way to finance the purchase.

Hi

thanks for you reply - I would love a Peugot Rifter - looks amazing and perfect. But have to stick with my budget :-(

I am looking for the adventure /active versions of all cars too

Hi yes I will have to give on some of the options - I am just being greedy? What do you think of the Ford B Max as an option? honest opinion?

I am Wiltshire but I am prepared to go up North to get a good deal :-)

I am willing to go 5 / 6 years old for my budget to get the right vehicle

What do you think of the Ford B Max as an option?

Cheers

What do you think of the Ford B Max as an option?

Already answered, at least in part, but I will repeat. Stay away from the 1.0 Ecoboost engine.

As for the rest of the car?. The sliding doors are a bit of a gimmick as the opening is very small unless the fronts are open too. Reading owners reviews, they are also heavy to use, and apparently have a sharp edge at the bottom corner nearest the front. The n/a 1.4 is the engine to go for and shouldn't cause any reliability issues.

Personally, I've never thought much of the B-Max, I'd sooner have its predecessor, the Fusion.

- Passenger combi type van suggestions ??. - JonestHon

I had the n/a 1.4 petrol in a 2007 Fusion, although it was trouble free, it was just too slow and noisy. I believe the B Max is heavier.

- Passenger combi type van suggestions ??. - SLO76
The need for a sliding rear door severely limits your options but the B Max is ok. It drives well enough and it’ll be reliable if you avoid the fragile 1.0 Ecoboost engine. With your usage in mind however the 1.5 diesel is the best bet. Service it at the Ford dealer or with someone who knows these engines well and it’ll be reliable. They don’t take kindly to neglect so don’t scrimp on maintenance.

The Powershift auto is to be avoided, again it’s very fragile. A 1.0 Ecoboost combined with a Powershift box is a toxic combination. The 1.4 petrol is a very robust engine but it’s carrying too much weight in a B max and struggles out of town. The diesel is the best option and I’d go for the later 1.5 which has to date proven reliable.

I’d look at the larger Grand C-max 1.5 diesel too. It’s better looking in my opinion, it’s more practical, easier to sell on again and available in greater numbers with the Diesel engine.

I had the n/a 1.4 petrol in a 2007 Fusion, although it was trouble free, it was just too slow and noisy. I believe the B Max is heavier.

Our 2005 Fusion 1.4 petrol was absolutely fine performance wise, obviously no hot hatch with 80bhp, but perfectly acceptable. No complaints about refinement or noise levels either.

Yes I will look at them thank you Grand C Max ?? should I be getting petrol to be eco friendly ??. The sliding door is for loading my boxes easily when I use as a van ie seats folded down . I’ve looked at some Fiat Qubo today too

- Passenger combi type van suggestions ??. - alan1302

should I be getting petrol to be eco friendly ??.

Nothing eco friendly about using a petrol car