Skoda Enyaq iV - EV Range - mcb100
I know, you’re all thinking ‘not another EV post’, but I’ve just been following (on Twitter) the tale of a journalist bringing a new Škoda Entaq EV back from the press launch.
Leaving Inverness with a full charge, it took a 30 minute charge at Perth to get back to 90%. A 50 minute stop at Gretna to get back to 90% and was sufficient to get to Peterborough with the cruise set at 70 and a few miles in hand at the final destination. 484 miles with only 80 minutes spent charging, and most people would need a couple of stops to avoid the onset of a DVT…
Is that amount of stationary time massively different to a journey in an ICE?

Edited by mcb100 on 09/06/2021 at 21:36

Skoda Enyaq iV - EV Range - Xileno

Fine as long as there's a charger when needed. What the availability will be like when we're all using EV is a different matter. Maybe the recharge time will get progressively shorter and/or the range longer so it's not such as issue.

Skoda Enyaq iV - EV Range - brum

Ok, how long did the journey take in total? Average speed. Were there one or two drivers, total journey time must have been in excess of 12 hours by my estimate

How much did the charging cost, (ionity, the charger network, a vag joint venture charge a whopping 69p/kwh) or was it a freebee for the journo? How many kwhr was required and equivalent miles/kwhr.

Was it a pr stunt organised by Skoda?

I’m afraid you’ll have to ask Keith Adams from Parkers for the forensic details, but one driver as far as I’m aware - it’s a new long term test car for Parkers.
I can only time it from the tweets posted, and I’d be saying 10 - 10.5 hours. As above, from Gretna to Peterborough was on active cruise set at 70.
Update - Someone has just asked how much longer it has taken him in the EV, and the answer was 45 minutes longer than using his regular Octavia.
There is a bit of study saying that with batteries charging more quickly from empty, a long journey can be speeded up by making more, but much shorter, stops.

Edited by mcb100 on 09/06/2021 at 22:36

Skoda Enyaq iV - EV Range - sammy1

"""There is a bit of study saying that with batteries charging more quickly from empty, a long journey can be speeded up by making more, but much shorter, stops"""

I cannot see how this is progress and I remain unconvinced about buying a £35k EV. Would the car even had made it if there were 4up and a load of luggage? The driver got home with a few miles to spare. Yippee! but hang on there is no food or milk in the house dare I risk the 6miles to the shop and back!

Talking of luggage there is a question in HJ today asking if there are any EV estate cars. The answer is only one made by MG. Could it be that the estate car is going out of fashion or an EV designed to pull weight is not yet practical although the distribution companies are using electric vans

It’s progress simply because even 5 years ago this same trip would probably have needed an overnight stop en route. Now it’s down to 45 minutes longer than a single comfort break stop in a comparable diesel.
Given current rates of progress, who know where we’ll be in another 5 years, with range growing and charge times decreasing.
To answer your milk and eggs question, yes, you’d have made it with 11 miles to spare.
Estate cars are a dying breed generally, although I did note Genesis are bringing the G70 Shooting Brake to the European market. And a fine looking thing it is too.
Skoda Enyaq iV - EV Range - skidpan

Found this interesting because a good part of the route taken is the same as we use driving south for Aviemore and whilst our journey is shorter (430 miles) its a good comparison.

On Saturday 22nd May we left Aviemore and headed south on the A9, then the M74 etc passing both Perth and Gretna. With the PHEV there is no need to charge on route so we didn't bother. Those 430 miles took about 7 hours driving time (with adaptive cruise set at 72 mph for most of the journey) plus 3 10 minute comfort stops so 7.5 hours total.

If we had used an Enyaq for the trip and charged it exactly as the author did and added our 3rd comfort break the trip would have taken us about 8.5 hours, an hour longer.

To me that is progress and getting close enough to make EV ownership a possibility for us in 3 or so years time when we next change. By then the range of EV's will have improved and charging availability (and speed) will also have improved but I doubt it it we will ever be able to manage just 3 10 minute comfort breaks in an EV.

Perhaps we need to invest in a larger bladder capacity to make to most of the longer range available in the future.

A few days ago I did a 350 mile round trip to Heathrow. 6 hours 20 mins travelling at permitted limit in my Skoda Superb 1.4tsi. Car topped up last week.

2 stops, 5 mins to drop off my son at the airport, and less than 10 mins at a rather grubby looking Toddington Motorway services to have a sip of orange drink and the sandwich my dear wife packed. Didn't get out the car. Although there was plenty of parking available, there must have been at least 50 - 70 cars maybe more parked up. Countless lorries in the lorry park.

According to ZAP map there are 2 x 100kW chargers at Toddington North, one of which is out of service.

My car returned a rather surprising 59.2 mpg trip average and had an indicated range left of 670 miles. Car has a 75+ litre tank.

No range anxiety for me.

Car has a 75+ litre tank.

A Mk 3 Superb (which I presume you have) has a 65 litre tank which is more than adequate. The iV has a reduced capacity of 50 litre capacity but only a few weeks ago with the tank full and a full charge we could comfortably have covered about 650 miles, enough for most people.

Skoda Enyaq iV - EV Range - badbusdriver

Would the car even had made it if there were 4up and a load of luggage?

Surely this can't be a serious question?!

Would the car even had made it if there were 4up and a load of luggage?

Surely this can't be a serious question?!

If it made it with only 11 miles to spare, then yes it is a serious and valid question.

Skoda Enyaq iV - EV Range - NowWheels

sammy1, that example doe not seem well thought-through.

If the car is more heavily loaded an is using more fuel, then you are in the same situation as in an ICE car. You watch the fuel gauge and the range indication, and if it's looing marginal you stop on the way to buy more fuel. Even with a 50kW charger, you can add 3–4 miles of range per minute ... and with a 100kW charger, you can add 6–8 miles of range per minute. So a 20 minute stop will give you between 60 and 160mph range.

But suppose you choose to hypermile it home rather than top up. So you get home with less than 10 miles of range.

If you had run an ICE car to nearly empty, then you'd need to buy fuel when you popped back out for the milk.

Same with an EV: you'd need a quick blast of the rapid charger while you buy the milk. Five minutes at 50KW gives you a little over 4KWhr of charge, which is 16–20 miles of range. So you get home with the milk, and pud the EV into your wallbox overnight. And in the morning, the car is fully refuelled for a cost of only £5 to £10, depending on whether you get cheap night-rate leccy.

So either way, no problem.

Edited by NowWheels on 15/06/2021 at 02:58

Same with an EV: you'd need a quick blast of the rapid charger while you buy the milk.

I can see a major problem with this statement.

Currently there are very few stores in my area with a charging point, can actually only think of one and it seems that every time I visit that store its either an ancient Prius or equally ancient Clio that are parked in the bay stopping anyone needing to charge an electric car.

But what we do have are plenty of small local shops that sell milk. So go strait home and walk to a shop, it actually works quite well.

It apparently finished the journey with 17 miles range, but I subtracted 6 miles because sammy1 was concerned that there were no eggs and milk in the house.
For every tale of EV range, and improvement thereof, there will always be an instance of a petrol or diesel car doing a better job.
My point is that practicality and usability of EV’s is coming on in leaps and bounds, and will soon be on a par with conventional cars.
I have a long held theory that if you are buying a car to do a specific job for a couple of weeks a year, there’s a fair chance you’re in the wrong car for the remaining 50 weeks. Most people won’t trouble the range of a modern EV on a regular basis, and if you do, keep hold of your ICE’s until that position is reversed, because it will be.
Skoda Enyaq iV - EV Range - daveyjp

Most manufacturers are currently at first generation of EVs

In 5 years these first gen will be having a mid life update which will see another step change.

By the time the second gen is around, 8 years or so, it will be easy enough to do this trip with a single stop and ten minute of charge.

Skoda Enyaq iV - EV Range - barney100

EVs are going to improve but the stumbling blocks are battery degradation and cost to buy and of course the infrastructure to cope with millions of cars needing a charge which will happen in the near future.

Battery degradation is much lower than anticipated, and will improve again over time. Independent research here - www.which.co.uk/news/2020/10/electric-car-battery-.../.
We have enough surplus electricity production capacity to cope - youtu.be/eaE57tChPQM
As production volumes of EV’s pass those of ICE cars we’ll see a price inversion and the petrol engined cars will be seen as the expensive option.
There are enough people at the moment who are actively looking for an EV to enable manufacturers to charge a premium for them.
Skoda Enyaq iV - EV Range - sammy1

"""I have a long held theory that if you are buying a car to do a specific job for a couple of weeks a year, there’s a fair chance you’re in the wrong car for the remaining 50 weeks. Most people won’t trouble the range of a modern EV on a regular basis, and if you do, keep hold of your ICE’s until that position is reversed, because it will be"""

Who's to say you are in the wrong car to satisfy your theory of EV cars. A lot of folks like larger cars 365days and are happy to pay for the privilege for a long while to come yet.

As for additional weight in an EV I was being perfectly serious as it is bound to have an impact on a cars range

As for the pantry being empty when the guy got home you are stuffed in any EV until you hang around to charge the thing!

On a personal note I just can't be bothered playing orienteering from one charger to the next. Maybe someone will set up a pony express whereby you swop the whole car on route? I think I read that someone is thinking about long term renting everything included.

"""I have a long held theory that if you are buying a car to do a specific job for a couple of weeks a year, there’s a fair chance you’re in the wrong car for the remaining 50 weeks. Most people won’t trouble the range of a modern EV on a regular basis, and if you do, keep hold of your ICE’s until that position is reversed, because it will be"""

Who's to say you are in the wrong car to satisfy your theory of EV cars. A lot of folks like larger cars 365days and are happy to pay for the privilege for a long while to come yet.

As for additional weight in an EV I was being perfectly serious as it is bound to have an impact on a cars range

As for the pantry being empty when the guy got home you are stuffed in any EV until you hang around to charge the thing!

On a personal note I just can't be bothered playing orienteering from one charger to the next. Maybe someone will set up a pony express whereby you swop the whole car on route? I think I read that someone is thinking about long term renting everything included.

The car was the largest battery option with the highest charging rate. It was new, a car prepared for the motoring press (yes they are specially checked and selected), a warm day, ideal conditions for an EV hence the "over performing on range" claim.

Enyaq80 models start from just under £40,000 and for some reason, do not qualify for the £2,500 plug in grant, only the Enyaq60 qualifies.

I note from the twitter videos he used Ionity chargers at both stops, one of the few suppliers that offer reliable fast chargers but cost 69p/kwh which even at 4miles/kwh works out at 17p/mile, more expensive fuelling than many petrol cars.

Time will tell, Skoda and VAG seem to be having lots of software issues with some of their newest models.

Personally, I feel that following global events, and the resulting political and monetary policy over the last couple of years its likely we will see new cars priced out of reach for many in the UK in the next decade, regardless of what tech. And the new tax regime is anyones guess, but there will be a multi billion pound fuel duty, VAT, and BIK hole to fill as conventional cars are forced off the road.

‘Enyaq80 models start from just under £40,000 and for some reason, do not qualify for the £2,500 plug in grant, only the Enyaq60 qualifies.’
The grant now has a price cap of £35,000. The thinking being that if you can afford a £40,000 car you don’t need it subsidised.
I’ll go back to the point I originally made - ABRP (my preference over ZapMap), shows a 2018 Nissan LEAF needing 8 charges and 2 hours and 57 minutes plugged in. 11 hours and 42 minutes for the journey. We’ve seen the figures from the same trip in the Entaq - ABRP currently has it predicted as 3 en route charges, 70 minutes plugged in and 9 hours 18 door to door.
Progress.

The car was the largest battery option with the highest charging rate. It was new, a car prepared for the motoring press (yes they are specially checked and selected), a warm day, ideal conditions for an EV hence the "over performing on range" claim.

That is exactly what I suspected plus the route was clearly chosen to make the car look as good as possible.

But it does not change the fact that a few years ago such a trip would not have been attempted. It demonstrates how far things have moved on and will without doubt continue to improve over the next few years.

I honestly look forward to the electric future having experienced limited all electric driving in the Superb PHEV. But for now the PHEV (any brand will do) is a better solution for most people providing they actually charge it for urban runs.

This was a journalist going home following a press launch, not a manufacturer organised event. Right now, on Google Maps, the fastest route from Inverness to Peterborough is A9 to Perth, cut across to take the A74 (via Gretna), A66 across to Scotch Corner, A1/M1 down to Cambs. I wouldn’t look at going any other way.
I’ll agree that press cars are cosseted within an inch of their lives by manufacturers, keen to eradicate any issues, but to suggest they will pick out half a dozen cars off the production line because of any perceived increase in performance is, I’d suggest, wide of the mark. They’ll just be well looked after examples.
The days of the press performance figuring the original Octavia vRS and recording figures that no one came close to again are long gone. The story then was that the press fleet had the 225PS engine from the TT and not the 180PS version they should have had.
Skoda Enyaq iV - EV Range - veloceman
Looks like progress is being made.
However a couple of questions.
Does constant topping up reduce the battery life. With phones etc we have been conditioned to charge from empty to get best battery life.
Also I believe the Nissan Leaf is only capable of taking one fast charge per journey.
Skoda Enyaq iV - EV Range - barney100

Seems best token your money in your wallet whilst the EVs evolve, maybe a few short years down the road tomorrow's EVs will have more range and longer battery life.