Citroen DS3 - Accident car grinding on full lock, pulling left.. - Lee182

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help. Mrs had a bump in the car and caused a bit of damage unfortunately resulting in the car grinding on full lock when turning steering left and a slight pulling to the left coupled with the steering wheel not centred when drying straight.

Car was hit on the offside front causing damage to the sill (dented in) and a dent on the wing.

I took it to a garage to get the wheel tracking done thinking that was the problem but they turned around and said they couldn't do it as its all smashed up under, they didn't give details when I asked what they meant.

Any ideas what it could have damaged? Car seems to drive OK apart from what I've mentioned above.

Citroen DS3 - Accident car grinding on full lock, pulling left.. - elekie&a/c doctor
Looks like you have more damage than you first thought . If the steering is not straight , then something is bent underneath. The garage are probably correct in their analysis.
Citroen DS3 - Accident car grinding on full lock, pulling left.. - Rerepo

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help. Mrs had a bump in the car and caused a bit of damage unfortunately resulting in the car grinding on full lock when turning steering left and a slight pulling to the left coupled with the steering wheel not centred when drying straight.

Car was hit on the offside front causing damage to the sill (dented in) and a dent on the wing.

I took it to a garage to get the wheel tracking done thinking that was the problem but they turned around and said they couldn't do it as its all smashed up under, they didn't give details when I asked what they meant.

Any ideas what it could have damaged? Car seems to drive OK apart from what I've mentioned above.

The car obviously doesn't drive OK because the wheel is off-centre and there is a grinding noise. Surely it must be pretty obvious that something is bent and the vehicle is therefore potentially dangerous - possibly not roadworthy. Get it straight to a bodyshop where chassis and suspension alignment can be checked.

Thanks guys. She's not driving it, we've actually gone away for a few days so will hopefully get it looked at ASAP.

I had a quick look under and noticed the cv boot was leaking clip snapped and a bent screw.

ibb.co/kSSFKdj

ibb.co/xHcnMWV

Edited by Lee182 on 30/05/2021 at 10:10

Citroen DS3 - Accident car grinding on full lock, pulling left.. - edlithgow

Probably not internal CV joint damage making the noise, though it could be. More likely a rotating part like wheel, disk or driveshaft contacting a fixed bit of bodywork.

If it pulls to the side its squealing on, that'll likely be due to the asymmetric braking effect of the contact.

If you have a thorough poke around you'll probably find some bright metal "witness marks". Jacking up and spinning won't necessarily work because the suspension wont be under load.

Might be a job for an expendable old phone camera, (or a cheap webcam), and some gaffer tape

Good idea on the old camera phone under there with gaffer tape whilst under load, genius!

I'll have a proper poke about when I get the chance as the mechanic fella did mention there is sign of contact under there.