Power Steering seems Heavy - weatherwitch
Although I've driven cars with power steering (both medium and big size) for a few days at a time, I've never owned one before for longer term driving/ownership.

Now all the cars I'm looking at to buy have power steering (being something I physically need) but every single one I've test driven so far is still heavier than my current car (Corolla E reg), even the M Corolla I tried today. The vehicle body size isn't that much bigger or heavier surely, but if that is the case then surely the PAS would make the car as 'light' as my current one to drive. I certainly don't want to drive a small car again.

Is there a specific reason for the power steering seemingly heavier than a none PAS similar sized older car or is it just a sign of older and possibly knackered PAS?

Also what are the faults to look out for with PAS cars? On this site I read about watching out for black fluid rather than the red it should be, but what other stuff should I watch out for?

Thanks.
Power Steering seems Heavy - Andrew-T
I think since E-reg. most cars have got heavier (more kit like airbags, crash bars etc) and have fatter tyres. But I would have thought this was more than offset by the almost universal PAS.
Power Steering seems Heavy - DL
Discoloured fluid is the No1 warning sign to watch out for. Most fluids are red or a dark golden colour....confusing , I know!

Fatter tyres seem to have gotten more popular of late, this will have a direct effect upon steering effort, PAS or not.
Power Steering seems Heavy - jc
A number of other factors come into it;size of steering wheel and gearing-a lot of cars nowadays have a smll wheel and just two turns lock to lock whereas before PAS the wheel was much bigger-more leverage-& four turns lock to lock.
Also there is now variable PAS-little or no assistance when straight ahead and getting more as you go to full lock.
Power Steering seems Heavy - IKM
I think that the relatively heavy power assisted steering of European cars compared to say American cars is a market driven thing. The European driver likes the steering to be heavy enough at normal speeds to feel in control of the car but light enough to be able to turn the wheel when the car is stationary for tight parking.

It is technically possible to make power steeing much lighter than it is on most cars. Maybe someone will know of an available modification to the power steering rack to alter the steering effort?
It is technically possible to make power steeing much lighter than it is on most cars. Maybe someone will know of an available modification to the power steering rack to alter the
steering effort?

Does anyone know anything more about this? I have to expect that to be able to make the power steering lighter it would be an expensive outlay? Can anyone throw a few figures at me to see if this is going to be a viable option? The last thing I need is to spend a lot of cash and then find the car is still too heavy for me :( Or have to buy an even older model just so I can afford to have to alter it.

What do you folk reckon?
Power Steering seems Heavy - prelude
We have an H reg coralla and the steering is particularly light in comparison with other cars.

I drive a Honda prelude with PAS and it is heavy by comparison.

I'm afraid you won't get a new car with steering as light as the corolla today.
Power Steering seems Heavy - Aprilia
In theory you could make the steering lighter by increasing the pump pressure - not actually that difficult. Try this company for advice:

www.powersteeringservices.co.uk/startup.html
Aprilia thank you for that link, I'll look into that :)

prelude I think you're sadly only too right about not getting a new car with steering as light as my Corolla. If nothing comes from information gained from the link from Aprilia then I have only two options left.

Lose my independance (I'm disabled) or be forced into a smaller car. yuck. Still that's life :(

Thanks everyone for your input.
Power Steering seems Heavy - lezebre
Are you looking for a car around M reg? If so, the Car-by-Car verdict on the mk1 Nissan Primera lists light steering as a disadvantage!

These were built between 1990-1996 and might possibly be worth trying out?

Regards.
Isn't it the Fiat Bravo/Brava that comes with a "girlie" switch that alters the amount of power assistance?
Power Steering seems Heavy - Chas{P}
Isn't it the Fiat Bravo/Brava that comes with a "girlie" switch
that alters the amount of power assistance?

No its the Punto from 1999 onwards and its called the 'City' switch. Had one on hire a few weeks ago and it does lighten up the steering to Japanese late 80's/early 90's levels.

I used to have an '89 Prelude that you could manoeuvre with one finger. At speed though the assistance reduced so you had plenty of feel. Best of both worlds IMO.

Charles