TOYOTA AYGO - Loud Grinding Noise - TOYOTA AYGO - WazWii

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me. Two weeks ago I had a terrible grinding noise coming from the engine bay when returning home from a drive-out in my Toyota Aygo. It is an MMT gearbox version. The grinding sounded like two metal parts clashing and grinding on each other. It was loud. Interestingly this first happened when I came to a near standstill when lifting off the accelerator (no brakes were used for this) and as the gearbox was automatically downshifting. I immediately pulled over and then continued for a little while longer (no noise at idle). The noise sadly returned when driving off again and I swiftly returned home. Luckily I was just a street away so was very very lucky otherwise I would have been in deep trouble stranded far away from home.

So was this a gearbox problem? Some issue with the selection of the gear? Or the clutch? As I completely slowed down after hearing the noise I could not tell if there was a loss of power but I think there was. I trickled my way home. Perhaps I did smell a slight whiff of burning but hard to be 100% sure. No warning lights came on the instrument dashboard and I know the Aygo has transmission (failure/excessive heat) warning lights built into the instrument dashboard.

Interestingly I have now had three drives since testing for the issue again and it has disappeared. The initial test was to see if the car would start as my TOYOTA dealership was stating I have to get the car to them myself. Later they agreed to have someone sent out to collect it. However it is worth stating that the car had an MOT at this dealership (which it passed) and the noise only came after the first drive since the MOT. So I was very upset and personally I find it a bit strange that such an issue would appear since the MOT.

Sadly (and I should not have told my dealership in hindsight) at the MOT I told them to investigate a slight burning smell from my clutch when the MMT gearbox automatically downshifts on steep hills (thus making the engine rev excessively). This was not a major issue and I lived with it for three plus years. It was only on the off-chance I told them to investigate. Someone did therefore take the car out and test for this issue and they did state they also smelt something and that it needed further investigation.

As stated no noise now since the incident and I would rather not send the car in because it will have to be stripped perhaps and who knows what other damage could potentially occur. I am not happy at the way I was treated by the TOYOTA dealership but I will have to manage this myself. I was hoping someone on the forum could potentially shed light on what engineering problem this seems to be.

Thank you.

TOYOTA AYGO - Loud Grinding Noise - TOYOTA AYGO - Andrew-T

As the noise came on suddenly, stops when stationary, and has now ceased, it sounds to me like you picked up something metallic which got stuck behind a wheel somewhere. It has happened to me in the distant past.

Bad noises don't often cure themselves.

TOYOTA AYGO - Loud Grinding Noise - TOYOTA AYGO - madf

As the noise came on suddenly, stops when stationary, and has now ceased, it sounds to me like you picked up something metallic which got stuck behind a wheel somewhere. It has happened to me in the distant past.

Bad noises don't often cure themselves.

Like he says

TOYOTA AYGO - Loud Grinding Noise - TOYOTA AYGO - John F

Age? Mileage? If it now works OK, don't mend it. Might be worth a bit of energetic driving to put it through its paces, including a rapid reverse, just to see if all is now well and the gearbox is working OK. Stone in wheel assembly sounds plausible. But it might have been a bit of disintegrated steel from the gearbox workings which has now been picked up by a magnetic drain plug (does Aygo have one?).

Thanks guys - can't believe someone answered!

Age is about 4 years old. Mileage about 28,000. Still under warranty.

From these comments hopefully I got away with it.

Disintegrated steel from gearbox workingsl? Should I worry about this?

TOYOTA AYGO - Loud Grinding Noise - TOYOTA AYGO - FP

"Disintegrated steel from gearbox workingsl? Should I worry about this?"

As John F says, fragments of steel are maybe being captured by a magnetic drain plug, so do not circulate in the oil. If this is the case, no need to worry.

TOYOTA AYGO - Loud Grinding Noise - TOYOTA AYGO - edlithgow

"Disintegrated steel from gearbox workingsl? Should I worry about this?"

As John F says, fragments of steel are maybe being captured by a magnetic drain plug, so do not circulate in the oil. If this is the case, no need to worry.

Well, worrying as such wouldn't do any good, but I would'nt class this "Your gearbox is disintegrating but its OK, the magnet will catch the bits" jive as exactly reassuring.

If you are concerned, you could pay for an analysis of your gearbox oil which would be likely to show elevated levels of iron and copper.

BUT you don't seem to have strong evidence that it wasn't a rock in your brakes

TOYOTA AYGO - Loud Grinding Noise - TOYOTA AYGO - John F

I think a Toyota gearbox shedding bits of steel at only 28,000 miles of normal driving would be very unlikely. If it had, I would have thought it wouldn't be working properly.

TOYOTA AYGO - Loud Grinding Noise - TOYOTA AYGO - Bolt

I think a Toyota gearbox shedding bits of steel at only 28,000 miles of normal driving would be very unlikely. If it had, I would have thought it wouldn't be working properly.

I would have thought that was unlikely at that mileage, but would get it checked out as you have no idea if it could happen again, if it does outside warranty it could be costly so imo best to have Toyota get it sorted !

Dunno about this transmission, but I had a manual Marina 1800 gearbox in advanced disintegration (rollers came out with the oil, which oddly settled out into alternate copper and ferrous bands in a pop bottle) which continued to shift smoothly and silently.

I'd planned to put a nylon shirt in it if it got worse. a trick I'd seen in The Arfur Daley Book of Scams (or some such title) in the humour remaindered section of WH Smiths. Regret not buying a copy, There was some good practical stuff in it.

It was still shifting fine when a spring hanger broke and I sold it for 20 quid, so the shirt trick remained untested.

Rock in your brakes?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXHdKuPeo_I

TOYOTA AYGO - Loud Grinding Noise - TOYOTA AYGO - Bolt

Rock in your brakes?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXHdKuPeo_I

Seems that probably was the cause having re'read the post and often happens with the state of our roads ie surface of roads breaking up, which is getting worse around my way

Stone chips are more common than flat roads

TOYOTA AYGO - Loud Grinding Noise - TOYOTA AYGO - Rerepo

I suspect a calibration problem with your MMT. The gearbox was being shifted but the clutch not fully disengaged. Gears crashing together was what you heard.

All of these various automaticaly-shifted manual transmissions seem flakey. Even the Japs can't get them quite right. Next time buy one with a CVT or regular autobox.

Edited by Rerepo on 06/05/2021 at 19:03

I cannot believe how many responses I have got - this has helped me so much. Although there are various theories presented in the thread I understand them all to be possible explanations. Honestly I have got more explanations here at honestjohn than I got from ringing my TOYOTA dealership! This greatly reduced my worries and anxieties. I cannot thank everyone who helped enough.

I also suspected a calibration problem with the MMT. And now I am driving in a manner where downshifting in E mode (shifts are fully taken care of by the internal car electronics) is not too aggressive. This just involves approaching t-junctions and off-turns more slowly. Putting the gearbox into M mode (manual) also helps as in M mode 2nd gear is held much longer and downshifting to 1st is not as much of an occurance as in E mode.

I will definitly be taking the vehicle in - when I have had my COVID-19 vaccine. At the moment I am not driving it a lot and the occasions I have no such issue has presented itself again. Fingers crossed.

And regarding potholes - yes I am deeply worried at this too. I noticed in particular after the bad weather we had (snow and sub-zero tempretures) things got really really bad. Sometimes I do wonder if it is worth driving as much nowadays due to the horrendous state of our roads. It should be common knowledge that if you even approach a pothole at a certain angle and at certain speed this could cause havoc with the car. Drivers swerving major potholes also presents a risk not to mention the risk to cyclists from these potholes.

Also as Coronavirus hit and soon afterwards I could not help but notice people's road manners declining rapidly.

If the grinding noise happens again I will report back in this thread and will also reply again to let everyone know the outcome of my Toyota dealership visit.

Edited by WazWii on 15/05/2021 at 20:11