Rover 623 - 3 different brand and models tyres which one ? - bladest

Hello Great People.
Let me first remind u i live outside uk so i have limited market for everything...
I am considering these 3 tyre brands and models, all will be the same,
All of the tyres will be brand new .

Right now i am driving with T005 Turanza BRIDGESTONE which became cracked after 2 year so i am unhappy.

I am Considering getting one of these, Continental premium contact 6 - the issue here is in my country this tyre is offered only with old production dot - so it was made 2 years ago at least, and price is BRAND NEW RETAIL , no discount. Other than that i like it and on charts its on top 3 spots...

Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 - this tyre i can get produced in 2021 dot which is good, specs wise is worse than continental and same price i dont have experience with good year and this model exactly so any advice will be great... model of this tyre is 2 years old.?

For the Final i leave this tyre - BRIDGESTONE POTENZA SPORT- this is brand new tyre year 2021 , dot production will be 2021 year again which is great , unfortunately - POTENZA SPORT - where i live cost 2 times more - So i can buy 4 tyres of good year and 4 of continental and i will still have some money left brand new. Its extremely expensive. Its my favourite but i am not sure if will buy it because of crazy price and rare availability...

Tell me what do u think should i go with Good year ?

My other option is to drive all summer with my winter tyres which are at their end of life.... they are bridghestone blizzak lm001 i think more than 5 years old...

other option which i dont approve will be to get used tyres they will be used for 1 or 2 years max... cost 50% of the brand new ones so i dont see the point...

Rover 623 - 3 different brand and models tyres which one ? - edlithgow

Seems like you've already pretty much decided.

Id "drive all summer with my winter tyres which are at their end of life...." if by that you mean they are reaching some arbitrary age limit which bothers you, in which case may as well get a bit more miles out of them before you chuck them

I apply the arbitrary age limit of 10 years, from the Japanese tyre manufacturers association

Failing that I'd get the used ones, IF they work out at half price based on the amount of tread left, which you would have to measure.

Failing that I'd get the Goodyears. I don't like Bridgestones because the last set I had didn't have the maximum pressure on the sidewall. Seems evasive to me.

Hello i have not decided anything yet i simply want to know your opinion :) you are smarter people. My winter tyres are close to 10 years old and they are made in italy blizzak lm 001. - this is simply suggestion not a must. Used tyres can last me only 1 or 2 years and this is the best case scenario .

Also they are too old .... and i am not sure if they dont have any damage since i had issues in the paste i dont like used tyres much...

What do u mean with that maximum pressure on the sidewall ?

You need to pump them all the time with air or ?

A lot of people claim good year are junk i never used any good year i cant comment ?

Hello i have not decided anything yet i simply want to know your opinion :) you are smarter people.

I'm probably not "smarter prople" in a tyre context, since I don't care very much about tyres and don't drive a performance vehicle, so my opinion would probably be atypical of those you'll find on this forum.

In particular I've never attempted to evaluate tyre performance, though I suppose you might get some objective data by driving in a standard circle and seeing what speed they unstuck at

I dont like not having a maximum tyre pressure spec because I run higher than recommended pressures and I like to know what the upper limit is. I'm on 40 psi now but will drop it a bit if it ever rains

My current tyres are Maxxis, a Taiwanese brand, were bought used, and were overpriced, but since I do low miles new tyres would age out with lots of unused tread.

If you wear tyres out quick used ones don't make economic sense, certainly not here, though they may in the UK where prices seem to be lower.

Rover 623 - 3 different brand and models tyres which one ? - badbusdriver

I'm probably not "smarter prople" in a tyre context, since I don't care very much about tyres and don't drive a performance vehicle, so my opinion would probably be atypical of those you'll find on this forum.

You don't need to drive a performance vehicle to care about tyres, you only need to be of the opinion that you'd rather not have an accident than have an accident. Or to put it another way, be aware of the fact that at any given moment you may have to make an emergency stop or avoidance manoeuvre. In which case the difference between a decent tyre and a cheapo, could easily be the difference between having an accident and not having an accident.

I dont like not having a maximum tyre pressure spec because I run higher than recommended pressures and I like to know what the upper limit is. I'm on 40 psi now but will drop it a bit if it ever rains

40psi isn't actually that high. And I'm not sure a understand the logic of either over-inflating the tyre when it is dry, which may increase the mpg, but at the expense of less grip for braking and going round corners (I'm assuming you need to do both from time to time in Taiwan?), not to mention needing to replace the tyre sooner due to premature wear in the centre of the tread. Or indeed lowering the pressure (certainly to lower than the recommended figure?) in the rain, which would increase the surface contact area and therefore the likelihood of aquaplaning.

For the OP, I have Goodyear tyres on the front of my van and am very happy with them. I buy all weather tyres (so they are not the same model you mention), but they perform well and I have no doubt that when I come to buy new tyres again (which will probably be all four), unless I find something else on special offer, I will go for Goodyears.

You don't need to drive a performance vehicle to care about tyres, you only need to be of the opinion that you'd rather not have an accident than have an accident. Or to put it another way, be aware of the fact that at any given moment you may have to make an emergency stop or avoidance manoeuvre. In which case the difference between a decent tyre and a cheapo, could easily be the difference between having an accident and not having an accident.

I wouldnt say you'd have to care very much to have a received opinion, like the above, which is simply a typed out truism.

I could manage that no bother, though I doubt it'd be worthwhile.

I'd have to care quite a bit more to make any evaluation of tyre performance, for which you;d either have to be a fast driver regularly pushing the limits and getting through a lot of tyres, or you;d need to try and do some objective testing, with controlled cornering at varying speeds, varying pressures, chalk marks on the tread, accelerometer readings etc etc.

I'm not generally a fast or sufficiently frequent driver for the first, and I havn't been sufficiently interested to do the second, though I would be a bit interested. Fairly typical of tyre users, I'd have thought.

IIRC the recommended pressure for this car was 30 psi, similar to a Nissan Sunny I ran in the UK on a regular commute. About 40 psi that started to get a bit skittish in the wet. on a particular roundabout, and above 40 there were indications from chalk marks that centre-tread wear was likely to be excessive.

I havn't really evaluated the effect of tyre pressure on these Maxxis tyres on this car in these conditions to even that limited extent.

I just havn'.t been sufficiently interested, but I should probably get around to it

I generally distrust knee-jerk truisms like the above

the difference between a decent tyre and a cheapo, could easily be the difference between having an accident and not having an accident.

because they so often aren't true.

Of course this one ""could easily be"" true. It also ""could easily be"" untrue, especially as "decent tyre" and cheapo are undefined.

To be generally true, more expensive tyres would generally offer better braking and lateral acceleration performance than cheaper tyres.

A couple of minutes Googling reveals that they do not..

Surprise!

( Except it isn't, particularly).

www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/files/Tire-Study-Report...f

Key Findings: 1. On average, new high-priced tires did not perform significantly better than new low-priced tires in terms of stopping distance on a wet road surface, maximum lateral acceleration on a wet road surface and NVH characteristics.

Of course, since cheapo is undefined, it could be the cheap tyres in this study were not cheap enough to show the alleged Cheapo Circle Of Death effect. I had heard of some of them which might mean they were actually "decent".

The expensive tyres were about 250 USD more per set for a Toyota Camry test car

Edited by edlithgow on 29/04/2021 at 17:11

Rover 623 - 3 different brand and models tyres which one ? - Heidfirst

Of course, since cheapo is undefined, it could be the cheap tyres in this study were not cheap enough to show the alleged Cheapo Circle Of Death effect. I had heard of some of them which might mean they were actually "decent".

I would go with that.

As far as the Camry - Nexen & Kumho are known brands (2nd tier?). Fuzion I didn't know but apparently it's a Bridgestone sub-brand.

As for the F150 - Firestone, Cooper & Hankook are all known brands (2nd tier?).

So the more brands you've heard of, the cheaper you can go?

And decent=advertised?

Is this the definitive data point we like to have for life and death situations?

Anyway, I'd heard of Maxxis, so I'm covered. They are well spoken of by expat sporty motorcyclists here (obviously not the same tyres) and motorcyclists have special reason to be tyre-aware/tyre terrified,

Not sure that this was aimed at me but in case it was:

As someone who does care about what tyres go on my car I do regularly check out group tests etc. 10 years ago I wouldn't have put Nexen, Kumho or Hankook on my car but the tests have shown significant improvement over the years to the point that they are snapping at the heels of (& occasionally beating) what would generally be considered the top tier brands.

Fuzion as I said I didn't know, which isn't surprising given that it doesn't appear to be available in the UK, but it's apparently a sub-brand of Bridgestone in the same way that Firestone is & Cooper (which I know of mainly for off-road/SUV) will soon become part of Goodyear.

Please remind us where you live again? This will have a bearing upon whether using a winter tyre over the summer is a good idea (your braking distance will be worse) & also in some cases the manufacture/ownership of brands (e.g. Dunlop). Also what car & where/how you drive will also have a bearing upon what you choose e.g. no point in spending top dollar to get the best sports tyre if you only drive around town in heavy traffic all the time in a FIAT 500 ....

The 4 contact patches of your tyres are the only interface between your car & the road (& therefore potentially life-saving) & as such I personally am not a fan of penny pinching on tyres.

www.tyrereviews.com is a good site with links to many group tests of different classes of tyre & general tyre advice.

The European Goodyear Efficient Grip 2 is a good general purpose summer tyre for your average car whereas the Potenza Sport is a good tyre for a more sporting car (the Goodyear equivalent would be the Eagle F1 not the Efficient Grip).

Edited by Heidfirst on 27/04/2021 at 07:41

Rover 623 - 3 different brand and models tyres which one ? - _

Please remind us where you live again?

OP is in Bulgaria. according to previous posts.

Rover 623 - 3 different brand and models tyres which one ? - Ian_SW

Why is there so much concern about buying a tyre which has been sitting in a warehouse for two years? Unless they've been left outside lying in the sun (which I'd think would be obvious from their appearance) they will still be as new.

For an older, ordinary car like a Rover 600, I'd apply the principle of just buying the cheapest tyre available from a big name brand you've heard of. Anything from the big tyre manufacturers (Bridgestone, Michelin, Continental etc.) will be perfectly good enough.

The ones to avoid are the budget brands with names made to sound a bit like the premium manufacturers, but cost about half as much. Names such as "Goodride" and "Goldyear" (no idea if these two specifically do exist, but they might do) are a near guarantee of a poor quality ditchfinder tyre.

The area where it is harder to judge can be the so called "mid range" tyres. Some can be nearly as good as the big names, but others no better than the budget no-name tyres. A decent tyre shop may often be able to tell you, but they are also influenced by what they have in stock and what they make most money on.

Rover 623 - 3 different brand and models tyres which one ? - RT

The area where it is harder to judge can be the so called "mid range" tyres. Some can be nearly as good as the big names, but others no better than the budget no-name tyres. A decent tyre shop may often be able to tell you, but they are also influenced by what they have in stock and what they make most money on.

To add to that, many of the mid-range brands are owned by the big brands and produced using older tooling - but of course the compound may be cheaper as well.

hi i live in bg, Good year eagle f1 - they doesnt exist in size 15 inch,

so for 15 inch tyres what are my options exept t005 bridgestone which is cracked - mine after 1-2 years so i am unhappy i bought it brand new, continental i cant find at decent recent dot i dont plan to pay full retail price for old tyres 2 years old. thats a robbery i call.

potenza sport exist in 17 inch it cost 2 or 3 times more compared to good year 15 inch,

potenza andrenaline is not available where i live what are my options what do u think - why some people hate good year and claim they are junk and rubbish?

what do u think - why some people hate good year and claim they are junk and rubbish?

As I said before, I have Goodyear's on my van (VW Caddy, 195/65 x 15), and would buy them again. Granted it is an all season tyre, but in an all season tyre test I read (Auto Express I think) comparing something like 15-20 all season tyres of the same size, it was one of the highest rated tyres on the test.

Don't pay too much attention to what people just say unless they have actual experience with the particular tyre they are praising or criticising, be it Goodyear or anything else. Look at tyre reviews and make your own mind up.

Compared to my Bridgestone t005, good year cost more or same, and they have worse specs in terms of dry braking/wet braking etcs.. thats my main concern... i also dont want they to crack after 1 or 2 years, do u have any cracks in your good year or not?

do u have any cracks in your good year or not?

No, but they have only been on for about 18 months.

Can you not get the tyres you want off Ebay?. For years now I have been choosing the tyre I want, from reviews, buying them off Ebay and having a local garage fit and balance them. And there have been times in the past where tyres I have bought have come from a sellers in both Italy and Germany (free shipping!).

Potenza i want is new tyre from 2021 it cost everywhere high price no one offers free shipping to bg even if i buy it online here ,high price is because is new sport tyre good year same story but 15 inch so tyre cost 2 times less compared to 17

Probably would have helped if you had simply quoted the specs of the tyre that you need e.g. 195/65 HR15 or whatever

so for 15 inch tyres what are my options exept t005 bridgestone which is cracked - mine after 1-2 years so i am unhappy i bought it brand new,

check the warranty on your tyres - they may well still be in warranty

potenza andrenaline is not available where i live what are my options what do u think - why some people hate good year and claim they are junk and rubbish?

we, who are mostly not living in Bulgaria, don't know what you can get there so we don't know what your options are. As for why some people hate/ claim Goodyear are junk - they could be competitors giving bad reviews, different people have different standards,& requirements & indeed perception. It could also be tyres from/for different markets. I personally would be perfectly happy to put Goodyear EfficientGrip 2s on my car.

Finding current group test results for 15" tyres doesn't appear to be easy this is from 2019 www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2019-ADAC-Summer-Tyre-...m. Easier for 16" which probably have very similar available tyres e.g. www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-Auto-Bild-16-Inch...m

Rover 623 - 3 different brand and models tyres which one ? - Bolt

Probably would have helped if you had simply quoted the specs of the tyre that you need e.g. 195/65 HR15 or whatever

so for 15 inch tyres what are my options exept t005 bridgestone which is cracked - mine after 1-2 years so i am unhappy i bought it brand new,

check the warranty on your tyres - they may well still be in warranty

we, who are mostly not living in Bulgaria, don't know what you can get there so we don't know what your options are. As for why some people hate/ claim Goodyear are junk - they could be competitors giving bad reviews, different people have different standards,& requirements & indeed perception. It could also be tyres from/for different markets. I personally would be perfectly happy to put Goodyear EfficientGrip 2s on my car.

Finding current group test results for 15" tyres doesn't appear to be easy this is from 2019 www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2019-ADAC-Summer-Tyre-...m. Easier for 16" which probably have very similar available tyres e.g. www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-Auto-Bild-16-Inch...m

Better idea to take the tyres back under warranty as they are cracked, as long as you have the receipt, they shouldn`t crack that quickly though depends what type of crack it is ie surface cracks or cracked through pinching the tyre

in bg they provide 1 year warranty so its outside the warranty.

Tyre wasnt pierced ...

given that Bulgaria is in the EU I would be very surprised if the Bridgestone warranty there is only 1 year. If necessary I would contact the local Bridgestone office or their EMIA HQ in Belgium.

Rover 623 - 3 different brand and models tyres which one ? - Alby Back
I started driving in '75. Back then many cars were RWD and that's what I sort of "grew up" with.

Of course times changed, and the trend towards FWD became inexorable. I, like everyone else, got used to front tyres wearing out anywhere between 14 and 25,000 miles.

Ten years ago, I went back to RWD cars, and to my slight astonishment, my tyres are lasting 45-50,000 miles both ends. I have to say, I slightly prefer the feel of RWD cars anyway, and even their alleged winter driving limitations seem to be somewhat over-hyped, I've never been properly stuck even in Alpine winter conditions in any of my cars, especially since I've got into the habit of putting winter rubber on from November to March.

But, to return to the point, it does sort of illustrate how much more work front tyres are being asked to do on FWD cars if you measure that by tyre wear rates.

I generally distrust knee-jerk truisms like the above

the difference between a decent tyre and a cheapo, could easily be the difference between having an accident and not having an accident.

'Knee jerk', means a reaction without thinking or consideration. My views on the performance of cheapo tyres goes back about 20 years reading various tyre tests published in various magazines. These tests are carried out by independent bodies, using 1 car and a range of identical sized tyres of the same type. So, while you are of course entitled to your own opinion, personally, I wouldn't consider mine 'knee jerk' in any way.

Of course this one ""could easily be"" true. It also ""could easily be"" untrue, especially as "decent tyre" and cheapo are undefined.

I said, "could easily", simply because I have not looked up the results of tyre tests for Maxxis tyres*. But if you want to be picky about it, tell me the exact 'model' of Maxxis tyre you have and I will see if I can find some test figures to compare with others. One thing I can tell you though, is that an over inflated tyre is not going to perform well under any circumstances other than efficiency and (possibly) noise (due to the smaller contact area).

To be generally true, more expensive tyres would generally offer better braking and lateral acceleration performance than cheaper tyres.

A couple of minutes Googling reveals that they do not..

Surprise!

( Except it isn't, particularly).

www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/files/Tire-Study-Report...f

Key Findings: 1. On average, new high-priced tires did not perform significantly better than new low-priced tires in terms of stopping distance on a wet road surface, maximum lateral acceleration on a wet road surface and NVH characteristics.

The expensive tyres were about 250 USD more per set for a Toyota Camry test car

This is a US report, and as the tyres sold there may well not be the same as the UK, I decided against looking up the specific tyre models. What I did instead was put in the size of (all weather) tyre I need for my van (195/65x15 with a load rating between 91 and 95). From Ebay, the lowest price for a Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen2 (this is what I have on the front of my van) was £57.10. Cheapest Nexen, the NBLUE 4 Seasons, was £52. Cheapest Khumo, the Solus HA31 was £53.90. No listing for Fuzion on Ebay. So going by the prices I can get the respective brands listed for, not so much a case of comparing cheap with expensive, more a case of comparing tyres of more or less the same price. Even ignoring this, as I am very familiar with both Nexen and Khumo, I wouldn't consider either a cheapo, that would be for brands I'd never heard of, such as Fuzion.

As for comparing the differences in performance, this short What Car clip shows in no uncertain terms where the extra money goes in a good quality tyre (in this case a Michelin was best) over a cheapo tyre in wet braking, with well over 20 extra meters required to stop from whatever speed they were doing (iit doesn't actually say, but won't be more than the max UK speed limit of 70mph)

watch

So you define "cheapo" as "I've never heard of it"?

Perhaps the best one can do, but it does tend to imply that, at least for most punters, "decent" simply means "advertised"

The Fuzion that you'd never heard of doesn't seem to do significantly worse than the others in that US test, which appeared to be well conducted.

The What Car video is journalism.

I wouldn't be astonished to learn they had selected the tyres and/or the results to make an editorial point they'd already decided on,

You don't sell magazines (or advertising) by challenging received opinion

Anyway, I'd heard of Maxxis, so I'm covered. There's a poster in the railway station,

So you define "cheapo" as "I've never heard of it"?

As I've spent a lot of time over the years looking at tyre tests and reviews, yes. Though the price is also a factor, but I don't see what is so odd about that. I also wouldn't buy a car from a brand I'd never heard of, nor a pair of shoes. And just to point out, I'd have no problem buying a cheaper tyre if it had received good results in a tyre test, this isn't just a 'expensive is better than cheap' mentality.

Perhaps the best one can do, but it does tend to imply that, at least for most punters, "decent" simply means "advertised"

Maybe for most punters, but unless they have taken the time to look into the relative performance of various tyres, that is just how it should be. The tyre is the cars only point of contact with the road, so why would you chance your (and your family's) safety in the off chance that the cheap Chinese ditchfinder actually performs OK under duress on a streaming wet road.

The Fuzion that you'd never heard of doesn't seem to do significantly worse than the others in that US test, which appeared to be well conducted.

That may well be the case, but given (a) I can't actually buy them on Ebay, and (b) that US article considers them a cheap tyre, along with Nexen and Kuhmo, both of which are barely any cheaper than a Goodyear for me, its a moot point.

I wouldn't be astonished to learn they had selected the tyres and/or the results to make an editorial point they'd already decided on,

Unless you feel the results are fake, that is entirely irrelevant.

Anyway, I'd heard of Maxxis, so I'm covered. There's a poster in the railway station,

I've also heard of Maxxis, I bought a pair for my mountain bike years ago on the recommendation of a friend, and they were decent enough. But I wouldn't put them on my van or the car without looking into reviews or test results on them. Because, y'know, I care about what tyres I put on a vehicle (despite not having a performance car).

According to Bridgestone tyres, the cracking is called ozone cracking, and is, unless severe, not covered under warranty as the cracking is natural, so not really any need to change them.

Cracked Tyres - Why Do Car Tyres Crack | Bridgestone MEA (bridgestone-mea.com)

Hope this helps....!

Rover 623 - 3 different brand and models tyres which one ? - Engineer Andy

According to Bridgestone tyres, the cracking is called ozone cracking, and is, unless severe, not covered under warranty as the cracking is natural, so not really any need to change them.

Hope this helps....!

Unfortunately, MOT testers don't appear to always see it that way.

I don`t either TBH as I have always replaced cracked tyres just in case, though never seen that article before, and always suspected a problem with a tyre, so I can understand why testers don`t see it that way and the OP!

Hope this helps....!

Well, they don;t always follow the rules, of course, but unless these have changed, they are supposed to see it that way.

For an MOT fail I THINK you have to be able to see the belting

Rover 623 - 3 different brand and models tyres which one ? - Engineer Andy

Sound logic, BBD, as usual.

Unless you feel the results are fake, that is entirely irrelevant.

Probably not fake, as such, but possibly selected to make a point. This is not necessarily so very reprehensible. It could be a real dilemma

Suppose the cheapo Chinese tyre (I’m supposing it was Chinese, I don’t know it for a fact) had done OK? Would it have been responsible journalism to have reported that fact, despite a (perhaps well founded) conviction that cheapo Chinese tyres are murder for money, or would it have been better to pick another one with more on-message performance?

If they’d tested a representative sample of cheapo Chinese tyres (which would be quite expensive) I’d expect them to have mentioned it

EDIT Looked at it again. They do actually test 3 known and 3 unknown (to me anyway) brands, so the sample size is reasonable and the above isn't valid. The 3 knowns are all better than any of the unknowns in wet stopping distance. The difference between the best and worst of the knowns (4.8 metres) is about the same as the difference between the worst of the knowns and the best of the unkowns (3.9 metres)

Long time ago I saw some investigative TV journalist expose of cutNshut. They commissioned the construction of one (very impressive skills on display) then set up a sting where they sold it to a sweet young couple (Aw!).

The big shock horror finale was a crash test where they ran a concrete block into its side at umpty miles an hour, arranging it so the edge of the block hit the weld line, absolutely the worst case. Much slomo crumpling and flying glass,

THE HORROR

But..err…the weld line remained visibly and stubbornly intact.

Rapid cut to horrified young couple (who, IIRC, for maximum effect, didn’t know they were getting their money back at this point.)

THE HORROR

Absolutely no PM examination of the wreck by a structural engineer, and of course absolutely no comparison crash test with a non cutNshut control car.

I wonder why not?

Journalists are telling a story. Science might get in the way.

Edited by edlithgow on 30/04/2021 at 15:00