BMW 6X - How can a car registered in 2011 have a 2014 Plate - garytay9

Hi All,

Just looking for a bit of information. I bid in an auction for a car listed as a 2014. When I contacted the auction people they say the car is actually a 2011 and (first registered in 2014.

So I would like to know if this is possible? 3 years seems like a long time for a car to be built and sitting. Any advice most welcome.

Thank you.

BMW 6X - How can a car registered in 2011 have a 2014 Plate - Andrew-T

Seems a bit unlikely. Were you misled - the actual age not disclosed ? Was the car imported ? Did you pay the price for a 2011 car ?

BMW 6X - How can a car registered in 2011 have a 2014 Plate - mcb100

BMW GB should be able to help if you supply them with the VIN. Or the service department of your local BMW dealership will be able look at the car's history.

BMW 6X - How can a car registered in 2011 have a 2014 Plate - badbusdriver

Certainly possible for a car built in 2011 to not be registered till 2014. And it may not be 3 years, it could be just over 2 if the car was built Dec 2011 and registered Jan 2014.

Also, it could be an import, in which case the UK registration could be from when first registered in this country (I quite often see discrepancies like this when looking at Japanese imports).

Have you actually bought this car?. Because that is the kind of info I'd have wanted to establish before committing to a purchase.

BMW 6X - How can a car registered in 2011 have a 2014 Plate - 72 dudes

Certainly possible for a car built in 2011 to not be registered till 2014. And it may not be 3 years, it could be just over 2 if the car was built Dec 2011 and registered Jan 2014.

Also, it could be an import, in which case the UK registration could be from when first registered in this country (I quite often see discrepancies like this when looking at Japanese imports).

Have you actually bought this car?. Because that is the kind of info I'd have wanted to establish before committing to a purchase.

Agree with bbd. Probably new in 2011 and initially registered in somewhere like Jersey or even Northern Ireland. Japan?? Is it UK spec as far as you know?

If you paid a 2011 price, fair enough, but if you're at all worried, I would go through the auction terms and conditions with a fine toothcomb as I think the true age should have been declared before bids were accepted.

BMW 6X - How can a car registered in 2011 have a 2014 Plate - daveyjp

You can check the VIN for date of manufacture, also look at the end of the seatbelt where it is attached to the car, it should have a date stamp.

Our Yaris was registered in 2017, seatbelt date is April 2017.

Regardless IIRC a vehicle has to be registered within 3 years of arrival in the UK, so whilst registering a 2011 in 2014 isn't a problem, it is something which I'd want to know about, but how many actually check?