Opel Mervia - Opel Mervia light grey/white smoke - Lewis100
Hi all.
Ive recently purchased a Opel Mervia 2010 91,000km. Its a LPG/ Petrol. It’s been blowing out light grey/ white smoke from time to time. I’ve noticed more when it’s going down hill and I’ve reved it from 2nd into 3rd gear. It’ll puff out the white/light grey smoke. I read online it may be the coolant leaking into the head gasket. I’ve told the garage I bought it from and they filled the coolant more and said it’s all fine and it’s normal for the car to do so. Which to me a car doesn’t just blow out smoke.I’ve never had a LPG running car so don’t now if this is the norm. If anyone can help what the issue might be it would be really helpful. Thanks in advance

Edited by Lewis100 on 24/04/2021 at 11:35

Opel Mervia - Opel Mervia light grey/white smoke - skidpan

Its an old car that has been modified, both are potentially not good news. If its running OK just drive it until it dies.

I was told that the LPG tank was added when it was manufactured.

Edited by Lewis100 on 24/04/2021 at 20:52

Opel Mervia - Opel Mervia light grey/white smoke - mcb100
There was indeed a Dual Fuel (petrol/LPG) Meriva available at the time.
Opel Mervia - Opel Mervia light grey/white smoke - John F
...... they filled the coolant more and said it’s all fine and it’s normal for the car to do so. Which to me a car doesn’t just blow out smoke

The clue is in the bold type. Keep a careful record of how much water (don't waste your money on 'coolant' yet) you need to add to keep it above the minimum level over the next few hundred miles. You should not need to add any at all within at least 1000 miles. If you do, reject the car.

Opel Mervia - Opel Mervia light grey/white smoke - Bolt
...... they filled the coolant more and said it’s all fine and it’s normal for the car to do so. Which to me a car doesn’t just blow out smoke

The clue is in the bold type. Keep a careful record of how much water (don't waste your money on 'coolant' yet) you need to add to keep it above the minimum level over the next few hundred miles. You should not need to add any at all within at least 1000 miles. If you do, reject the car.

Agree with John F, but get a compression test done, and coolant pressure tested, if there is a leak that will show it up, it shouldn`t lose any water/coolant at all unless something is not right...

Okay thanks for the advice guys. I’m currently measuring the coolant level daily see if there’s anymore movement in it.