Think I\'ve seen the last of my car.Part1 - PoloGirl

Thread closed. Please see Vol 2. www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=16...4

I own a VW Polo SE 1.4 1996 P reg. Almost 2 years to the day that I paid £5000 for it, a lorry changed lanes on a roundabout without looking and has damaged all down the drivers side, both alloys on the drivers side and one on the passenger side from being pushed sideways. The driver has admitted liability and claims he didn\'t see me, despite the fact that he managed to hit me three times and spin me before moving off and being chased by my passenger and another motorist to get him to stop!

The garage who are doing the estimate have said it is \"too close to call\" for them to say whether they will be able to repair the car, and I\'m waiting to hear from the insurance company. I\'m worried that they will want to write the car off rather than fix it because of the cost of repairs. I\'ve been looking at various websites to get an idea of value and they all say around £2500 but I believe my car is worth about £1000 more than this, even though it has quite high mileage of 66k.

It\'s a limited edition car in metallic black with alloy wheels. Inside it is immaculate, and the bodywork on the outside is (was!) in really good condition. It has a full VW service history, and the weekend before the accident it had just had brand new front tyres, tracking and wishbones etc.

I know the insurance company is required to put me back in the position I was in before the accident, but this car is of amazing sentimental value to me as I bought it to take with me when I left home to go to uni, and I just wont be able to get another one like it. As the accident was in no way my fault, can I insist that the insurance company repairs the car?

Also, it\'s the bank holiday weekend and I\'m without a car because of an accident that wasn\'t my fault. Apparently I can only have a courtesy car where the car is repairable and they haven\'t decided yet. I phoned this morning and all the insurance company\'s systems are down, which is of no help to me! This was in no way my fault and yet the lorry driver is probably quite happily driving around again by now.

Any thoughts, advice, words of consolation??

Thanks - sorry this is a bit long!

Think I've seen the last of my car :( - Dan J
Very sorry to hear about your accident - sounds terrible! At least you're okay and however upset you are about the car it's only a replaceable lump of metal at the end of the day. You can't get you repaired under insurance!

> can I insist that the insurance company repairs the car?
The more knowledgable amongst us may be able to offer a definitive answer but I would say almost definitely no. When my own car was written off on 100% someone else's liability I did argue over the value of my car with the insurers and got the payout increased a reasonable degree. Certainly helps if you can show them paperwork such as service history etc.

One comment I do have is would you really want the car back? Many people I've known have accidents haven't wanted to drive the same car afterwards. Just a thought...
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - PoloGirl
Sadly I do really want the car back - it's already protected me through a front end and rear end smash (neither of which were my fault either, although I now have a bit of a jinxed reputation!)... I think we were just meant to be together!

Have decided this morning that they can write it off if I can have £4k. I know, a bit ambitious!
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - Baskerville
Having protected you in three crashes do you really think the structure is still as trustworthy as it once was? Bear in mind that the forces involved in even a light impact are enormous--all of that force has to be absorbed by the car structure. Even if it can be fixed I'd sell it immediately and be glad to get rid, but frankly I'd be hoping for a write off just to make life easier. You do not want to find out how compromised the structure is when something hits you next time otherwise those forces will be absorbed by you.
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - eMBe {P}
Having protected you in three crashes ...... You do
not want to find out how compromised the structure is when
something hits you next time otherwise those forces will be absorbed by you.>>

Agree fully with ChrisR. It is time to get a new car. For other motorist's sake, let us hope your Polo does get written off and not passed on as "repairable" or "roadworthy" to someone else.
--
{P} = advertising my profile is ON. Add/View photos groups.msn.com/honestjohn/pictures
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - Andrew-T
PG - I agree with all the other posters. My feelings are

- insurance company is required to restore your financial position as it was just before the smash. This does not necessarily mean giving you the forecourt price of an identical car; it probably means the trade value of a nice Polo with 66K and some previous accident damage.

- I don't believe there is only one car like yours (apart from the sentimental value of course). If you are particularly attached to it, a VW dealer should be able to find another on their national used-car network. I know of someone looking for a particular colour/model of BMW - the only one available was brought down from Shetland.

- if it is decided to write off the car, you could still buy it for scrap and have it fixed yourself. In view of what has happened to it, that would definitely be heart ruling head.
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - AF
- insurance company is required to restore your financial position as it was just before the smash. This does not necessarily mean giving you the forecourt price of an identical car; it probably means the trade value of a nice Polo with 66K and some previous accident damage.

To quote from the Financial Ombudsman website

"Most policyholders assume that their insurance policy will enable them to replace with a similar vehicle a car that has been stolen or damaged beyond repair. Our approach mirrors this. We want to see firms making a reasonable assessment of the car's market value and then paying this amount. The market value is the likely cost to the customer of buying a car as near as possibly identical to the one that has been stolen or damaged beyond economic repair."

The site goes on to say

"Customer's who dispute the firm's assessment of a car's market value often draw our attention to forecourt prices advertised in local papers, and increasingly to prices quoted on internet sites. Generally we place little weight on such evidence. Advertised prices for cars are widely understood to be a starting point for negotiation, rather than a fixed price. And the information provided is often insufficient to ensure a like-for-like comparison of age, condition and mileage. But we do sometimes take local factors into account when deciding a relevant replacement cost. If, for example, the car has been bought recently from a reputable source, then this may be a sensible starting point for determining its market value."

And also

"Car owners often have a strong sentimental attachment to their cars. This attachment, together with the value that they attribute to their vehicles in terms of usefulness, reliability etc means they sometimes have particular difficulty in accepting a perfectly fair valuation."

Full article with case studies are at:

www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombuds...m

I interpret this as saying that you should be put back in the physical position you were in before the accident, not the financial position if you had sold the car at the moment of the accident. Giving somebody trade value for a car that they will have to pay retail to replace, is not going to do that.
>> I know the insurance company is required to put me back
in the position I was in before the accident, but this
car is of amazing sentimental value to me >> >>

That is the responsibility of the negligent/careless lorry driver. It is for him to compensate you fully. It is for him to make sure his Insurance Company does this on his behalf. Your job is to make sure you put in a full claim for all damages. This includes compensating you for your time, distress, costs, injuries, car-hire, and so on. Stick to your guns. Do not be fobbed off. If your Insurance Company does not do this, get a Solicitor who will do as you instruct him/her to do.

--
{P} = advertising my profile is ON. Add/View photos groups.msn.com/honestjohn/pictures
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - bradgate
Sorry to hear about your accident, it must have been a frightening experience. If your car is written off you need to start collecting evidence to support your view of the value of your car. Look for advertisements for cars as close as possible to the specification and mileage of your old car. Try VW dealerships, as this is where you are likely to find the best, and highest priced cars. Keep the adverts so that you have hard evidence of the real cost of replacing your car like for like. Remember - the insurance company will only be interested in hard evidence, not fluffy emotional stuff about sentimental value (sorry if this sounds blunt, it's meant to be helpful!).

Realistically, the VW dealer sticker price of a same-spec car is the maximum you will receive. Don't accept the insurance company's first offer - it will be deliberately low because they know that many claimants can't face the hassle of fighting with them. Also, please think seriously aout whether you really want a car which has been involved in 3 quite serious accidents. As stated above, it is just a lump of metal at the end of the day. It has served you well, but in future you might be safer in one that has not been crashed.

Good Luck.
Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom....

I've now had several temper tantrums at the insurance company and things seem to be moving, but I still wont have a decision on the repair/total loss until after the bank holiday, and I'm not even thinking about the £450 excess til then!

I've been in touch with the company that owns the lorry, and they've given me their insurance company's contact details. They seemed quite happy that I needed a hire car from them until the decision was made on mine, so I'm just waiting for a call back to confirm it all. Can't think why I didn't do that before really but it all seems so much faff for something I didn't cause!!

With regard to the car - the thing is, I look at other P Reg Polos and they all look really dated. Mine still looks good because it's black, metallic, has alloys and a regular session/coating with the Autoglym. Will the insurance company take that into account, or will they just offer me the amount to replace with a bog standard Polo? Can I use the colour and styling as a reason to ask for more money?

Also, really important question - if it's written off, will I be given the opportunity to have the CD player removed and given back? I've got the fascia at home but it's no good without the stereo obviously!

I know I'm female (!) but I like to think I "know about cars"... just keen to hear other opinions because I think my heart may be ruling my head on this one.

My final recommendation:

Buy VW - I'd have been in hospital 3 times without mine, even though the airbag has never gone off. The sensor must be somewhere on the few parts I've never hit anything with! :)

Think I've seen the last of my car :( - Dynamic Dave
I'm not even thinking about the £450 excess til then!

Why think about it at all. The lorry driver was responsible, so his insurance company to pays for it, not you.
With regard to the car - the thing is, I look at other P Reg
Polos and they all look really dated. Mine still looks good
because it's black, metallic, has alloys....

Are the insurance company aware that it has alloys fitted? Were they standard equipment from new, or bought separately? Reason being, that if it only had bog standard steel wheels when it left the production line, then unless the insurance company are aware of the alloys, all they'll pay out for is the price of steel wheels.
if it's written off, will I be given the opportunity to have
the CD player removed and given back?

Did the CD player come with the car, or was it fitted in place of the original equipment? If it was the original equipment fitted, then it will have to remain fitted. If the CD player was fitted afterwards, and you remove it, you'll have to refit the original head unit. You can't just go around unbolting things and expect the insurance company to still give you the market value.
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - Jonathan {p}
DD

I agree about the alloys, but I think the cd player is different. If she has purchased the cd player separately, she has every right to either get another one (for a similar value) in the new car or get hers back.

A stereo isnt integral to the car its an accessory, what if she had a bass tube, an amp etc etc in the boot, is that tough or should she be able to get those back too?

The insurance co will get the value of the car plus the stereo when the sell it on so should pay out, even if they subtract the value of the original phillips one that should have been there.

Jonathan
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - Dynamic Dave
I agree about the alloys, but I think the cd player
is different. If she has purchased the cd player separately,
she has every right to either get another one (for a
similar value) in the new car or get hers back.

Jonathan,

That's what I thought I said? If she fitted the stereo, or any other accessory come to that, then they're rightfully her property unless the insurance company compensate her for them to remain attached to the vehicle. However if the original stereo was removed so that the CD player could be fitted, then the original stereo should be put back in the car if she decides that she wants the CD player back.
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - Aprilia
Without looking at the car it is impossible to say what the extent of the damage is. If the car has been scraped all down one side then it is possible that all the outer side panels are damaged, but the stress-bearing chassis structures could be sound. It sounds as if the repair cost is around £2k at 'insurance company' rates. If that includes a couple of new alloys (and tyres?) and all painting then the damage may actually not be that bad. 'Write-off' is an economic judgement - an old car might be written off because it had a few dents in a door skin.

If the ins. co. want to write the car off then ask if you can buy it back as 'salavage'. You could then have it repaired yourself. Get an estimate from a good, well-equipped, bodyshop that is a VBRA member company and make it clear that you will be paying for the job yourself etc.
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - SpamCan61 {P}
PoloGirl;

If I understand correctly your beloved Polo has now been bashed in the front, rear and all down one side. Do you really, really want to put it back on the road again?

Speaking as someone who wrote two cars off in five years :-(( then I would say, depending on insurance comapny, they will pay out 'market value' i.e. roughly what you could expect in a private sale. They are not interested in sentimental value unfortunately. Always worth a haggle; maybe get a few more quid out of them; especially if you can get a hire car while you haggle.

In terms of the stereo then agree with the insurance company that you can take it before turning up at the storage site; from personal experience they won't like you taking the radio out without agreement form the insurance company.
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - mal
I was in a similar position some years back after a head on collition and by the time I got back to my car after being checked out at the hospital the recovery guys had already started stripping out my expensive stereo but when challenged they said it must have been intruders which i did not beiieve as they had a big dog loose in the yard.
Anyway back to he point, I removed the stereo after informing the ins. co. and they just deducted £100 for a bog standard replacement, which wasn't bad seeing as my system cost close on a grand.and that was why I was keen to get back to my car after leaving the hospital.
Pologirl: I would strogly advise you to get legal advice. The experiences and comments of some of the posters above are not relevant. Some of the key things to bear in mind are:

1. Accident was NOT your fault, 100%.
2. Lorry driver has admitted liability, 100%.
3. You are NOT claiming on YOUR insurance.
4. You are NOT claiming on lorry driver's insurance.
5. You are claiming from lorry driver himself. How he deals with the claim is a matter for him.
6. You are NOT making fraudulent oor exagerrated claims.
7. It is the responsibility of the lorry driver (via his insurance if that is how he wants it) to put you in the position you were before the accident. Apart from all teh incidental damages (hassle, time, trauma, car-hire, phones/letters, etc.), you MUST get a car at least equivalent to your original at the time of the accident. How they reasonably achieve that is for them to offer and for you to accept or negotiate. You do NOT have to take anything less than what you fully deserve.
--
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - Halmer
My advice would be to take as much money for it as you can get.

The car will not be the same after.

I'm pleased that you are unhurt which is the main thing. Sounds like it could have been a lot worse. My wifer was hurt in our 3mth old Golf in a crash that wasn't half as bad as yours sounds.

She's OK now but I hated the car (and the other driver) after it was repaied.
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - Hugo {P}
Suggest you start collecting evidence of how much these cars cost to replace.

Then you can use this to argue the toss with the insurers when they try to settle.

Also, do you have Legal Aid cover with your policy? If you do, now is the time to invoke it if you haven't already done so.

It sounds like we're talking write off to me so prepare yourself.

All the best

H
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - Dwight Van Driver
Pologirl

Your first post indicates that you have been unable as yet to contact your Insurance Co. If so read on, if not ignore.

Phone Helphire (0500 224455) or Ellen Group (0161 345 5544) and discuss your problem with them.

Daughter in law, two years ago was involved in an RTA not her fault and on my advice phoned Helphire. They took away her car, provided a Hire car and returned hers duly mended. They did all the chasing apparently recovering all their costs from the at-fault party Insurance Company. DIL did not involve her Insurance Company at all and paid nothing.

Possible, I gather, if they do take you on, there may be small charge of £10 but DIL did not even pay this.

I cut this information out of Times Motoring many years ago but lost the cutting otherwise I would have posted sooner. As far as I am aware they are still operating, but obviously if you have put the matter in the hands of your Insurers it's too late.

If you go along this road let me and the Forum know how you got on. It may be of interest to others.

DVD
Afternoon!

Well I am now a Corsa driver, thanks to the lorry driver's insurance company. I can't beleive people actually spend their own money on these cars - given the choice of a brand new tinny Corsa or my 7 year old Polo back, I'd have Polo back like a shot!

My question is... a lot of this advice seems to be implying that I shouldn't have gone through my insurance company to get the car fixed. If that's the case, why on earth do I pay £700 a year for a fully comp policy??

My answers to some questions...

1. The alloys are fitted as standard on the SE Polo, and yes I'll be asking for new front tyres too as they'd only been on 7 days.

2. The CD player was a Christmas present and wasn't fitted when they car was made. I still have the old Sony casette that was in it when I bought it.

I'm off car shopping tomorrow to see what sort of money Polos are going for, and what I can expect to get with the £3500 I'm expecting them to offer me.

Oh and to the person who said they doubted my car was the only one like it. I think they only made 400 Polo SEs of this spec in 1996, only about 20 of which were finished in metallic black. Chances of me being able to find one the same are pretty slim I reckon.

Thanks again!
You pay insurance in case its either your fault, partly your fault or the other party isnt insured.

I have found the following car similar to yours:

VOLKSWAGEN POLO 1.4 SE 3DR,
P reg. unmarked black paint, alloys, PAS, airbags, stereo, aircon, low mileage, full VW history, superb throughout. £3,195 . ono.
BROOKLANDS
Price: £3,195 ono.

If you aren't bothered about it being Black then you can find one from between 2 and 4k, in good condition and average miles.

If you also put your compensation claim cash towards the next car, you should be able to get a 00W polo.
What compensation claim? I wasn't injured so I wont be putting everyone else's premiums up by claiming for whiplash.

Think I've seen the last of my car :( - weatherwitch
Sorry to hear about your accident. You've suffered stress, shock (I assume) and loss of your private time, inconvience etc. Whiplash and other injuries frequently don't show up until later, be careful of saying you're fit and well until a little while later when you are sure for certain.

Since your insurance premium is very high to me, you've already 'paid' as it were for an injury claim but you shouldn't look at it like that anyway.
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - neil
Just a thought - here's one, apparently with low mileage, full history and no previous accident damage... for an ASKING price which means they 'want' £3000 - and will accept £2700 without much of a struggle.

Doesn't that mean that yours, with highish mileage, and two previous close encounters, is worth £2000 - £2200?

Give the choice of two vitually identical cars except for low vs high mileage and no vs 2 accidents, which would you go for - and how much cheaper would the high/accident car have to be before you'd even consider it? At LEAST £500, perhaps a lot more?

Think I've seen the last of my car :( - Miller
I know I will be branded as sexist for saying this but I rekon women are far more likely to ask for (and pay)unrealistic prices for cars.

You have to remember no matter how high spec etc it is at the end of the day it is seven years old.

I'm a loser, baby....so why don't you kill me?!
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - weatherwitch
I know I will be branded as sexist for saying this
but I rekon women are far more likely to ask for
(and pay)unrealistic prices for cars.

I think both sexes would like to get unrealistic prices for our cars, but since this one mentioned has already been weakened in two big smashes, I wouldn't touch it again myself. But it's up to the insurance company as to whether they take that into account or not when paying out.

To pay unrealistic prices, I'd say almost everyone gets stung at some point in car buying, even the experts. I'm having to look at jumped up prices out here because there's no competition in rural areas, I think area and ability to travel come into the equation (sp?!) of buying as well. I might get a car for £500 less in one of the big towns (about 45 miles away) but if there's a problem, it's a hell of a s*d to get the vehicle fixed.

People should at least know the absolute basics when buying cars and the common faults of that model. In my post last night about a Corolla I looked at, the salesman was telling me about the special extras, the PAS and CL, I pointed out that's standard. Yet I'm sure someone else would have been caught out and willing to pay that extra for these special features!

I wouldn't really say your comments were sexist myself, many women don't have a clue about cars, look how many don't know how to open the bonnet, but then you have the fellas that pretend to know it all, pointing at the alternator and saying the carberettor looks knackered! Each are just as likely to over pay for that car if they've not done their homework.

And for the records, I'm female :)
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - DavidHM
Okay, to answer some of your questions...

1. Why are you paying £700 for insurance if his will pay?

Because you could do the same thing to someone else, or to yourself for that matter. £700 is the amount the insurance company is willing to pay up if you cause that kind of damage, or someone who has no insurance/cannot be identified does it to you. By the way, you can claim back your excess from the other driver's insurance as well.

2. What is a fair price for the car?

What you would expect to pay for the car in a retail transaction, with an allowance deducted from the asking price for a bit of reasonable haggling, and of course any additional value of a warranty put on the car (though not necessarily the retail price of that warranty).

There aren't many Polo 1.4 SEs in AutoTrader but I would say that 66k is not high mileage and that the Parker's value seems to be a bit on the low side. The cheapest (private sale) is £2695 and most are in the high £3k range, so anything less than about £3250 is selling you short IMO.

Unless you can actually buy the car at trade price, or were planning to sell it for a specified amount, you should not have to accept trade price for it as the point of the insurance is to put you back into the position you were, not buy the car off you to make a profit.

The fcat that the car has been involved in accidents previously is largely irrelevant in valuing it for insurance purposes, as they should have been repaired to an 'as good as new' standard anyway. If not, the car should have been written off then, or compensation paid out.

3. What are you entitled to claim for?

You are not normally entitled to claim for distress under English law, nor for the loss of your time unless you can show loss of earnings. You are also expected to mitigate your damages - i.e., not deliberately take the most expensive option.

You are allowed to claim for the cost of a hire car or making alternative travel arrangements. Assuming the car is insured on the basis of standard stereo equipment, you are perfectly entitled to swap the unit for the manufacturer's one. You can also recover your excess from the other insurer.

If the stereo is specifically insured as it is, you can't swap it out, but they must pay out for it or return it to you. It is not worth claiming for the £800 worth of clothes, twenty CDs, camcorder and mini disc player that you allegedly had in the car... unless they were actually destroyed of course. Keeping the claim simple, honest, and backing it up with documentary evidence, is the best way to ensure a fast settlement - without missing out anything that actually did cause you loss of course.

It is worth asking for the new front tyres etc., although don't expect to get too much - after all, the replacement value of the car will take into account things like the age and condition of the tyres itself.

4. Are you entitled to stop the car from being written off?

No, as long as they make you a fair market value offer for your car. Until then, it is still your car. £4,000 does sound unrealistic though.

Given that it has been involved in so many accidents, and irrespective of the quality of the repair, I would be hoping for a write off in your situation.

5. What will happen to the car?

Probably it will go through a salvage auction, be sold for (at a guess) £600-£1000 and sold as a category C write off to the public. I reckon that if you did the spraying and fitting yourself and bought as many parts as possible second hand, the repair costs could be as low as £400 - not that I would suggest that this is in any way a DIY repair.

However, with (hopefully) no structural damage but extensive cosmetic damage, a high image car that would potentially sell to a young, naïve driver, this car is an obvious candidate for a slapdash repair by a dodgy trader.
After today's trawl round looking at used cars, I don't think £4000 is unrealistic at all, in fact I can't get anything as nice as my polo for less than that.

I've looked at Polos (nice-ish P reg ones are £3500 upwards but they don't have any of the spec that mine has), Ibizas (P Reg onwards are upwards of £4000) and Fabias (totally out of my budget). I could get a Ka or a Fiesta or even a Focus but I can't bring myself to drive a Ford I don't think.

So due to an accident that was in no way my fault, it looks like I will have to drive a cack car.

Thanks very much Mr Lorry Driver.

PG - I've just done a quick overview of the national market via AutoTrader, but if you can show evidence of cars of equivalent spec in your local area going for upwards of £4k, you can use that as evidence if the insurance company doesn't pay out.

You never know your luck; when my father's 1991 Audi was written off in 1996, after 2 years and 45k he lost just £450 on what he paid for it.
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - MichaelR
I've been reading this thread with interested and am having a huge difficulty in understanding the value of this 7 year old little Volkswagen.

£4k? For an old VW? With all due respect to what is obviously a lovely little car, that's quite ridiculous. I'd doubt it's worth more than £2500.

Why would people bother when for just a grand or so more they can have T, V and even W reg Polo's?
>>£4k? For an old VW? With all due respect to what is obviously >>a lovely little car, that's quite ridiculous. I'd doubt it's >>worth more than £2500.
Why would people bother when for just a grand or so
more they can have T, V and even W reg Polo's?

With equal amounts of respect...;-)

I'm not trying to sell the car, I'm trying to get it replaced with one of the same spec, condition and quality, which is what I understand I'm entititled to.

It may not be worth the £4000 I want, but that's what I need to get close to it, and it certainly IS worth more than £2500.

I had a nightmare last night that I ended up buying a Punto!!!

PG - I suspect your insurers may see it a bit differently - they will put you in a position financially equivalent to just before the accident. To my mind that would be the trade (or maybe private sale) value of your car, not the screen price of an equal used one at a VW dealer.
Parkers value your car at £2865 dealer retail and £2400 as a private sale (in good condition) assuming a mileage of 70k. As yours had 66k I think £2500 is bang on the nail what you can expect for it......

Please, I dont want to sound patronising, but generally cars are the worst financial commitment anyone can make, in 99.9% of cases you will loose lose money on them at an alarming rate.

I paid 4k for my 98 Mondeo a year ago and if it got written off today I know I would be lucky to be offered £2750 for it, but hey ho, its only money!

I think in the end you are letting your heart value your car rather than your head! Take care.

I'm a loser, baby....so why don't you kill me?!
Andrew - the Insurance Ombudsman sees things differently. It is the replacement value of the car that counts, and there is case law on the point. It can even be more than was paid for the car, if the owner got a particularly good bargain.

Miller - Parkers is not gospel. If she can show that her car was in good condition and she would actually have to spend more than Parkers wants to get a car like she had before, her interpretation of the facts is spot on.

£4k is unrealistic as a value for her car, but if you actually look at what AutoTrader is selling these cars for, rather than what Parkers says they should be sold for, I think you'll see that £2500 is too.

(Obviously you need to allow a bit for the extra value of a dealer warranty, and a bit more for haggling, but as PG says, she's not trying to sell the car but buy another one. This might not be reflected in the first offer but that's her legal right and if she's not happy she can still sue in Small Claims Court.)
DHM - doesn't this generosity from the Ombudsman make it an attractive proposition to regularly 'write off' decent old cars of little book value, with little financial loss to the user?
Not quite sure what you mean by that?

In theory, with insurance, there should be no financial loss to the user anyway.
DHM - I was trying to say that if one can always recover the 'buying' cost of an equivalent car (rather than the selling value) it seems possible to repeat this process regularly while incurring little depreciation in between (if the cars have limited value anyway). "Financial loss to the user" in my book would be what one might have got for the wrecked car, not what one would have to spend to find another the same.
Pologirl: As I said before, ignore the uninformed comments of some posters. Re-read what DavidHM and I have posted. You do not have to accept anything less than the true value of your car, plus any incidental expenses, plus any damages that you need to claim for. If it comes to it, tell the Lorry Driver (or his insurer) that they will have to buy a replacement Polo equivalent or better than your crashed one. Stick to your guns and get what you fully deserve. I can see that you have a strong enough character to achieve this.

P.S. ignore any likely "trolls" on other threads who may be trying to bait you. If you want to know how trolls operate, go to my profile and visit "my" chosen website.

--
{P} = advertising profile is ON. Backroom photos groups.msn.com/honestjohn/pictures
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - neil
Hmm. Not quite how it works though, is it - eMBe (P) ... I can just imagine the reaction if she asks them to find here another car. And although you're technically right that its him, not his insurers, who are liable, for all practical purposes forget him - he's hardly going to be the person deciding the car's value is he? There seems to be some variation in valuations being put on the car - between extremes of £2500 ish and £4k - the letter acknowledged to be a 'wish' not a value. Does that really justify you accusing the 'low bidders' - of which I am one - of being trolls? I can assure you that isn't my intent. Although professional reasons prevent me from revealing my profile, if you have a look at past posts of mine, apart from the odd pop at Trevor P, I'd consider them measured and constructive. So - what gives you the right to classify others as trolls?
neil, you can relax.
Hmm. Not quite how it works though, is it -
eMBe (P) ...

I know for a fact that it does work for those who persist.
Does that really justify you accusing the 'low bidders' - of which I am one - of being trolls? >>

I said "..likely "trolls" on other threads who may be trying to bait you. .." . Unless you, neil, have been on the other thread trying to deliberately bait Pologirl, then obviously you cannot a troll!

--
{P} = advertising profile is ON. Backroom photos groups.msn.com/honestjohn/pictures
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - smokie
eMBe - I'd like to think that you aren't accusing me of being a troll for starting a thread which I have already openly admitted was prompted by this one. There was no intention to bait Pologirl within my initial post. Had there been, I would have posted it within her thread, or at least directly referenced it from mine. The connection was clearly obvious to Pologirl (and probably others) but was not meant to be malicious.
Smokie:

I am posting only where I beleive I can add value. In this thread, I am trying to give help Pologirl achieve a good result.

In case anyone else is unsure, my reference to "trolls" included the words "likely" and "may". There were no names, nor any definitive statements in that regard. Trolls will know themselves and they are discussed fully in the web-site link featured in my profile (www.teamtechnology.co.uk/troll.htm)
you will see the following statement: "...When dealing with suspected trolls, there are various strategies that you can employ. First of all, remember that just because you suspect that someone is a troll, it doesn't mean that they are a troll; also, just because you suspect someone is genuine, it doesn't mean that they are genuine. ..." .

Now back to Motoring and to helping Pologirl.
--
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - Phoenicks
This is mad. The car is an old polo. The true value of the car will be measured by the claims adjuster who will get this from Glasses. She may be able to get an few hundred more from cars being advertised in Autotrader, but not a rise from £2,500 to near £4,000.

Insurance companies are a business, not a charity. No matter how much sentimental value this car carries its true value seems to be nearer £2,500. Shiny, clean, with a nice magic tree on the mirror or not.

I think the circumstances are a shame, but at the end of the day the car isnt worth what pologirl thinks is it. It worth arguing the first 2 values they offer but they will stand firm at one point and that will be it.

I feel the eMBe's comment - 'ignore the uninformed comments of some posters' Is so arrogant. How do you feel that you are informed? You've had insurance for the last 20 years isn't ebing informed?!!

The words: 'You do not have to accept anything less than the true value of your car' are correct but the true value is what Glasses will price it at. This is the industry price guide.

Pologirl - you may need near £4000 but i doubt you'll get it. If you do tell me who your insurance company is and i'll insure with them. I'm sure my 6 year old Golf is worth £8000........

Good luck tho.
Calm down folks - it's only my car!! ;-)

>>its true value seems to
be nearer £2,500. Shiny, clean, with a nice magic tree on
the mirror or not.

The Magic Tree is actually hanging off the back of the passenger seat - do you think that will make a difference to it's value??
Pologirl - you may need near £4000 but i doubt you'll
get it. If you do tell me who your insurance company
is and i'll insure with them. I'm sure my 6 year
old Golf is worth £8000........

Link - and I wouldn't recommend them. Who I would recommend though, are the insurers of the lorry that hit me (Crawfords). They've been excellent.

PG - hope you get your car position sorted satisfactorily, and glad that at least you weren't damaged in the smash. Let us know the eventual result.
Pologirl: of course, you are free to take heed of the advice or comments that suits you and your character best. I have personally helped many people with "gentle" personalities achieve great satisfation in dealings with "big" organisations (including insurance companies) where otherwise the gentle-person would have given in without a fight. In some instances, the rewards have been worth just a few tens of pounds extra, in others they have been worth hundreds extra. To learn how to do this yourself, read and study past cases of "Jessica Investigates" in the Electronic Daily Telegraph.

PS to DD & Mark : Phoenicks is at it again, personalising posts, calling me arrogant - as he seems to do in every post referring to me! To cool it, I will not respond to him.

--
P.S. to Polgirl: for the avoidance of doubt, let me make it clear that, from your posts, I judge you to have a strong enough personality to get a good result.
--
Hi PoloGirl;

How close is this one to your beloved vehicle? Courtesy of the AutoTrader link on HJ's homepage...

VW Polo 1.4 SE, 96, P reg. 70k, 3k dr, grey met, 5 speed, fsh, 1 owner from new, pas, new MoT, alloys, px/finance/credit/debit cards. . 2995 quid
>
VW Polo 1.4 SE, 96, P reg. 70k, 3k dr,
grey met, 5 speed, fsh, 1 owner from new, pas, new
MoT, alloys, px/finance/credit/debit cards. . 2995 quid

That IS my car, except mine is metallic black with less miles. That price is reassuring too as there's also a red one in there that's only on for £2500.

Thanks
I take it the ad from Autotrader is a dealer car judging by the 'px/finance/credit/debit cards'. I understand the cost given by the insurers wont be dealer retail cost but glasses trade cost.
Phoenicks - you understand wrong then. From the Financial Ombudsman website:

Most policyholders assume that their insurance policy will enable them to replace with a similar vehicle a car that has been stolen or damaged beyond repair. Our approach mirrors this. We want to see firms making a reasonable assessment of the car?s ?market value? ? and then paying this amount. The ?market value? is the likely cost to the customer of buying a car as near as possibly identical to the one that has been stolen or damaged beyond economic repair.

Certainly there are Polo SEs available nationally under £3,000 - but the spread is from about £2600 to £4000 and the average price seems to be around £3200.
DHM - if this is a trader's ad, can we not assume that as PG has no part-ex, this £2995 car will sell for (say) £2750?
I may understand wrong, as you say, but i work for an Insurance Company, as well as previously working 3 years on the Car Insurance side in policy admin and claims.

You may have a legal backing in terms of learning but the reality is very different. Thats why every claims adjuster has Glasses on his desk and not Autotrader.....

Perhaps we should just see what Pologirl gets offered....

I don't dispute that's what the offer will be - but if you're seriously suggesting that she should be happy with the first offer if it doesn't enable her to buy the car that she wants, we'll have to agree to disagree.
You're all going to be so disappointed if they phone up and say "actually we're going to repair your car" aren't you? :)

Because its what you want i wouldnt be disappointed. I think write off point is if the repairs are above 60-70% of value of car. If its what you want, its worth arguing. good luck.
If you re-read one of my previous post i say that its worth arguing the first 2 offers she gets. I would never suggest she take the first offer.
Actually I don't know WHAT I want!

I love Polo..... but I love car shopping :)

Think I've seen the last of my car :( - bugged {P}
pologirl you are a menace!!! hurry up and make up your mind before we all burst!!!

when are the insurance co going to let you know what they decide about your polo???

I was also once a PG myself! ;-)
The car I posted was marked as a trade advert; I just snipped the ad. fairly heavily.

Don't know why it has 3000 doors; or does '3k doors' mean something different ;-)
OK OK I promise not to post any more Polos after this one; which is also trade:-

" 96 (P) Volkswagen POLO 1.4 SE 5DR, power assisted steering, 5 speed, sunroof, stereo, alloys, dark blue, 70,000 miles, service history, £3,799 "

Think I've seen the last of my car :( - smokie
eMBe - your accusations of trolling added no value whatsoever to this post.

I strongly dislike the implication that by starting the "other post" I was trolling - which was clearly what you were implying, even though no details were given. If I'd wanted to troll I would have responded within this post. I can see that you have carefully worded your post so that a response from me can be sniffily dismissed as guilt or paranoia on my part, as you have already implied.

I'm with Phoenicks on the arrogant bit. Unfortunately I find the flavour of many of your posts some of the most pompous I have ever read on this board, and I go back a bit. That isn't to doubt your sincerity in wishing to assist, and also your obvious knowledge and experience in certain areas (all said without tongue in cheek).

Sorry to all for this irrelevant post but I'm afraid I couldn't let this pass without a response. The accusations were made publicly, so it's only fair that the response should be too.

In your own words eMBe, to cool it I will not respond again on this topic (unless you start it!)
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - No Do$h
Pologirl, you have my sympathy, but please don't follow the advice of those who suggest you claim for your every distress and inconvenience. This isn't America..... yet. The more you try and claim for, (beyond what is reasonable), the more the heels will start to dig in. Go for what is fair and reasonable, which in this case is the cost of obtaining an equivalent replacement car, plus ancilliary costs, such as car hire and transport costs to view said cars (again, within reason!).

A search within 100 miles on Autotrader will give you some examples but don't expect the highest price, nor should you settle for the lowest. Settle for an amount that will allow the closest match to your beloved polo. (Funny, I had a 1979 Polo 1.1 GLS, which I sold in 1988 and I still rave on about the darn thing. I last saw it about 2 years ago so if anyone knows the whereabouts of an AzorenBlau metallic polo, FRU770V, last seen in Bournemouth, let me know!)

.....I suppose by adding that last bit I'm a troll (foll-de-roll) or risking becoming one. Or perhaps I just have an uncanny memory for the trivial things that mark my way through life......

Anyway, by what I've found, around the £3k mark seems reasonable as if you turn up with that much in cash at a dealer with a suitable car, I doubt you will get turned down, but until you view a couple of cars, you'll never know.

Totally off topic, but in keeping with some of the posts: Inspirational team building exercise anybody? I can supply the beanbags if you'll all just form a circle and agree to yell the name of the person that threw it at you. What a load of tosh.... as for trolls, I think it's pronounced "paranoia"
If I don't reply it's nowt personal, I'm just working!
Think I\'ve seen the last of my car :( - Mark (RLBS)
Children - calm down. Stop insulting each other and stop trying to score points. Even Pologirl is asking you to calm down. *I* (& Dave) decide what is and what is not trolling and who is doing it, not you.

If its there, I\'ll deal with it or not. None of you belong to any site police, do try and remember that.

Save all the macho stuff for somewhere else.

So stop whittling on, everybody voice their own opinions and we carry on as normal.

Its too boring to have to correct/edit everything you write, so I\'ll simply delete any further notes which have even one argumentative or juvenile and provocative comment in them.
Mark - you have a difficult PC tightrope to walk here. Clearly things on the wrong side of your line must go, but please don't get too officious or the whole thing may become rather humourless.
Dragging this thread kicking and screaming back to it's original topic - Me! :)

Just thought I'd give you a condition check on Polo. The engineer from the insurance company has finally been to Walsall to inspect him and has apparently approved repair if it passes a final steering/suspension computerised check later on today.

I've yet to find out if he's approved everything (ie a new set of alloy wheels) but I guess I just have to wait it out now. I drove the car home from the roundabout the accident happened on and the steering didn't feel too bad - the tracking is out but I'd guess that's about it. Then again, I'm not a mechanic!

Sounds like you may get the result you were after. Fingers crossed for a happy ending.

If I don't reply it's nowt personal, I'm just working!
Well... the verdict is in, and Polo lives to fight another day!!!

They've approved all repairs, right down to the two new front tyres. In fact they've even approved a new o/s rear panel - not sure how they're going to do that as I was told it was part of the car and not a "bolt on", so to speak.

I'm not getting 4 new alloys but they are refurbishing the 3 that were damaged, and I will probably have the fourth done at the same time privately to match.

I've had to pay my excess up front, but I shall be claiming that straight back (along with the credit card interest it generates)so it's not a problem. In fact the only drawback is that the courtesy car from the body shop is a Micra and it probably has the bodyshop name emblazoned on it's side. At least people might keep out of my way for a bit!

And at least as my car is black, there can't be much of an issue about paint matching, can there!?

So tomorrow I get to give the Corsa back! Bit gutted I don't get to go car shopping though!

Way to go PoloGirl...glad you got the result you wanted (?).
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - frostbite
And at least as my car is black, there can't be
much of an issue about paint matching, can there!?

Don't you believe it! 47 different shades IIRC.

Glad to hear good result from interesting to follow thread.
Oh well... keep your eyes peeled for the "how to reject repair job" thread then!

Think I've seen the last of my car :( - blank
Horrray!

Hope all goes smoothly for with the repair and you soon get your beloved Polo back.

Its been an interesting thread and I'm sure its not over yet. I hope (for the bodyshop's sake) that the repair is to your liking!!

Andy
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - Wales Forester
Hope the repair is to your satisfaction Pologirl, everyone likes a happy ending!

PP
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - BobbyG
These are the kind of posts I like - a problem, plenty debate, thoughts , discussion and then we find out the outcome.

Its like a whodunnit where we all give our thoughts but know that someone else holds the answer....
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - bugged {P}
Nice one PG, hope it comes back good as new.
Morning!

Just a quick one to let you know the Corsa has gone and they've delivered the Micra in it's place. BUT... the Micra is lovely! It's bright red and a new shape 03 model. It feels really solid compared to the Corsa, and I'm sure once I get used to the bug eyed lights, we'll get on just fine.

I've only driven it round the block so far but it really seems a fab little car and I can't help but smile when I look at it - it's like a Smartie.

And it's nice to see that Nissan are now putting the indicators on the 'right' side these days - I had visions of turning on the wipers every time I wanted to indicate!
I can't help but
smile when I look at it - it's like a Smartie.

>>

Reminds me of:-

How many blondes does it take to make a chocolate cake?

Seven. One to stir the mixture, six to peel the Smarties.

(hope you're a brunette!)
Hi PoloGirl

Glad to hear your car is coming back to you.

One word of warning, you have an obligation to the other insurers (the other side) to keep your costs to a minimum. Asking them to pay for credit card interest may draw a blank, you would be expected to pay this off and arrange a (much cheaper) overdraft, which they may be more willing to consider interest on.

My advice is to pay the excess with you card and then find one of these cards that offer 0% interest for6 months on balance transfers and apply for it immediately. Use your card to pay any other costs associated with the accident, then transfer these costs and submit a schedule of losses and expenses to the other side. Include an element in this for telephone calls, post, associaced travel, costed time of work etc.

Hopefully, if they accept liability, you should have all your costs reimbursed within a month or two, then pay off that transferred balance.

H
Hugo - PG is entitled to interest on her costs, however at probably no more than 8%. Beyond that, PG, you would have to show that there was no other way to get hold of that money and if you can do a balance transfer, etc., it's good for you because you'll still be entitled to the interest, at least in theory.

Of course being a student, things like credit and smoothing over blips like an insurance excess are much more difficult than when you're on a salary - unless you are both of course.

If you have a student account, it would be much cheaper to extend your overdraft, if possible; however I am not convinced that an overdraft is automatically much cheaper at standard rates for the rest of the population than a good credit card deal, especially as getting a cheaper overdraft means shifting your current account.
Hugo

I wouldn't recommend getting another credit card just to pay this off. Unnecessarily increasing your credit facilities isn't wise. How long do you expect it to take the insurance company to pay out? I would write to them informing them that you have put this balance on your current credit card (or bank account or overdraft)which has the follwing x% interest charge. Inform them that they will be charged interest at the going rate. At least you can say that you informed them, if they drag their feet when paying, they have been made fully aware of that.

One months interest on say £500 isn't going to break the bank, even at 2% (24% per year only equates to £10 interest).

When you say you have a duty to minimise your costs, it doesn't mean getting more credit cards to save them interest, it means not hiring an e class merc while your fiesta is off the road, or getting taxis everywhere when a bus would do.

Regards

Jonathan
The remark about claiming back the interest was a little flippant, in that it's not actually something I will make a big fuss about doing... so lets not make a big fuss about discussing it, eh? :)

The remark about claiming back the interest was a little flippant,
in that it's not actually something I will make a big
fuss about doing... so lets not make a big fuss about
discussing it, eh? :)

Fair enough.

Although this forum is intended to help all people, not just the one who asks the question. So anything provided into the discussion may benefit someone at some stage, which makes it useful. If I hadn't pointed it out, someone else may have thought that applying for a new credit card would be the best alternative for paying the costs.

Regards

Jonathan
Jonothan

I agree with what you have said.

A new credit card to tide over the interests payment req is probably a good idea for some people.

I have used this method to my advantage a number of times, and have always paid off the amount (or transferred it to another card offering the same deal) before I start getting hit for interest payments. It's a great deal if, say you forsee the money coming back to you or you need an advance for something building materials (as I did at the time). The money was paid off when I was made redundant (with a handshake) and I now have an income from that property.

However, if you are not fully confident with this method, then an overdraft is probably the best solution, unless you can finance it yourself.

In the case of PG she needs to keep her interest costs to a minimum, hence the easiest lowcost route available to her should be taken, ie overdraft, on the basis that she expects the money to be refunded to her ASAP.

Any costs incurred in sorting this out with the bank should be claimed for.

H
Heh...I had to go all the way to page 9 to resurrect this, but it's back, and I bet you're all thinking "god what has she done now?!"

Well... Polo's coming home tomorrow!!!

Any tips on mistakes, common dodgy areas I should look at on his repaired/replaced panels - and if it's no good or they haven't done all the work requested, am I entitled to leave the Polo with them and keep the courtesy car til it's sorted?

Thanks!

Pologirl

Make sure the hole is OK.

You know the round one in the middle!

H
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - Caveman
Take a good look at the non refurbished wheel and make sure it doesn't look shabby compared to the other 3 refurbished ones. Also check panel gaps are even, no overspray on glass, window rubbers, or any other trim.
Take a good look at the non refurbished wheel and make
sure it doesn't look shabby compared to the other 3 refurbished
ones. Also check panel gaps are even, no overspray on glass,
window rubbers, or any other trim.

Thanks! There's not a lot I can do about the fourth wheel though is there - as it's more than likely shabby because I wasn't introduced to Autoglym til a year ago, rather than through the collision.

In my experience, fresh paintwork is extra vulnerable to the output of the local bird population for a few months. Soak it off as soon as you spot it.
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - Ivor E Tower
Carry a tub of babywipes in your car to remove birdpoo etc as soon as possible. Modern car paints are c*#* at withstanding minor "spills" like this.
Park the car under a street light at the earliest opportunity. Any mismatch in colour tends to be more obvious under street lighting for reasons I should remember from A level physics, but can't.

I blame beer.

Overspray, as previously mentioned. Also look on the inside of the car. My wife's laguna recently came back from the bodyshop and there was spray residue on the inside of the b and c pillar trims!

Panel gaps. Stand well back and make sure all the panels and doors have regular gaps.

Doors/tailgate. Do they shut ok, or do then need an extra slam? If so, the strikers or lock assemblies need realignment.

Windows. Do they still function smoothly? Sometimes, when replacing a panel or skin, the winder assembly can be dislodged or fouled.

Drive. Does the car have any odd knocks? Does it pull to one side? Odd humming noises from bearings?

If you are asked to sign for the car, stating it is to your satisfaction, explain that you wish to have a reasonable time to assess the repair and add a caveat to this effect, perhaps allowing 7 days to identify any concerns. Make sure that if you do have any concerns, you tell your insurer immediately. If you aren't happy, they are unlikely to pay the repairer in a hurry!

I'm sure the above will prove to be nothing other than added piece of mind and look forward to hearing of your continued "Southern Polo Driving Girl lives in Midlands" exploits.

ND

Southern Alfa driving bloke, working in Midlands
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - Godfrey H {P}
PG you might like to follow the tip from my cousin when his car was involved in a smash. He had his car professionally inspected after the repair. The inspection found a big long list of things that needed rectifying. The firm advertised on this site looks good value for money to me.
Have just finished work early and popped on here - thankyou all for your comprehensive replies!

I have come to the conclusion that I should never have kids - is it wrong to think I might cry when I see Polo again?! ;-)

(All I have to do now is find the place - I've never been to Walsall!!)
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - Blue {P}
Nah, not wrong to cry! ;-)

Good luck!

Blue
Well... I drove the Micra to Walsall (with central locking well and truly on all the way - what a scary place!) and swapped it for the Polo. Gave it a thorough inspection, looked out for all the things you told me to, stalled it 4 times and finally drove away.

Five minutes later I returned to the centre as I'd noticed greasy handprints all over the interior.

Ten minutes and half a bottle of some strongly smelling stuff (meths??) - for the car, not me - I was on my way again!

It's raining today so I can't really check Polo over properly, but it all seems ok. The window and door lock seem stiff but I guess that's because the whole door is new..?

However, you may remember Polo had new tyres on the back only days before the crash. Well.. the two new tyres are now on the drivers side front and back, while the six month old tyres are on the passenger side. The tracking seems fine but surely that's not right...?

So... two pretty major things wrong, and that's even before He Who "Knows About Cars" comes home!

On a more personal note, I don't think I want Polo any more!! I smiled when I saw him, but when i was actually driving him I felt so tearful/nervous and every clank from a lorry in the jam on the M6 had me jumping out of my skin. I remember him as a funky little car, but now he just looks dated. I dunno - I think I was like this after the other smash, but I think now might be time for a change! It's all been a bit of an anticlimax!

Oh but the alloys look fab! :)
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - Altea Ego
PG

as the rainy season is now upon us I would get the tyres swapped to correct places asap. Not best to have part worns on one side. Newer ones on the back.
Do you now wish you;d just gone for the write off rather than getting it repaired?
Pleased you got the car back in one reasonable piece PG, have you found any new faults since getgting it back or is the rest of it ok?

Blue
Have I found any new faults.... HAVE I FOUND ANY NEW FAULTS...?!?!

ahem...

1.Weld on the door is so bad it looks like a cut and shut.

2.Numerous bits of matt paint that haven't been waxed (or whatever) properly.

3.Middle parts of the alloys have been wrenched off and crudely glued back on.

4.The weights on the alloys are now prominently on the outside, as opposed to neatly tucked away as they were before (lets put
it this way, I'd never noticed them before.

5.The window frame is still a bit warped, hence the window stiffness... looks like they've simply put a new skin on the doorm rather than replace the door.

6.Various edges of panels have paint missed on them.

7.The light that came out looks like it's been glued back in (with child safe glue at that), rather than replaced.

There's more - it's just loads of small things, but the lack of attention to detail has really taken the shine off what was supposed to be a happy event.

Anyway, I've told my insurance co that I'm not happy and the garage are having the car back after work on Monday.
No... because I will still get more for it in June next year when I come to change it than I would if it had been written off.

As the lovely bloke I live with put it.. "It's got bodywork as new now. Two careful owners...and one not so careful one."

Hmm!

Hmmm, so it is going to increase in value between now and next June?? lol!
Ok Mr Mondeo driver Miller... I see your sense of humour is about on a par with your taste in cars so I'll spell it out in basic terms...

Insurance company would have given me between £2500 and £3000 for my car if it had been written off (I know that now because once it was confirmed as repairable I had the guts to ask)

Sold privately or part ex-ed, I know I can get £3000+ for it.

You do the maths. Oh and if you scroll up in this thread, you'll see we've already done to death the discussion on what my car is worth. Ta!

Hi Pologirl, if you do manage to get £3000+ for it in part ex you should consider a career as a car dealer!
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - Ben {P}
Why oh why did you bother geting that car repaired, what did you expect a new one in exchange. Who wants a car that has been stuffed that badly. If they write it off its a write off. If you wanted to find out how much you could get for your car you should of put an add on autotrader online. I see cars selling at auction for way less that the prices you seem to think '96 polo's are worth, thats because traders know they cant sell them for the prices you thought your car was worth. Its a '96 Polo, there are thousands more out there.

And now its crashed and repaired it will be worth even less than it *might* of been before the accident.

You should stick to your guns and get the best repair you can- then get shot of it.

And whats wrong with a mondeo? Rather better to drive than a '96 Polo.
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - MichaelR
Ok Mr Mondeo driver Miller... I see your sense of humour
is about on a par with your taste in cars so
I'll spell it out in basic terms...

I really don't think there is any need to be patronising, is there? And as for critising him for driving a Mondeo, please, when in a glass house do not throw stones. People are just trying to offer you realistic and helpful advice. This advice is that a 1996 Polo, no matter how lovely it is, is not worth over £3000. It's a 7 year old town car, infact, it's now a 7 year old town car with a serious smash under its belt. Don't expect it to be worth £3000 next June - if you are thinking of changing and reckon you can get £3000 for it now, sell it now, becuase it will only depreciate further.

PG,

Suggest you get photographs of it and send them to the Insurers as soon as possible.

Put in writing that you do not accept the car in this condition and still hold them responsible for putting the repairs right.

I suspect the repair shop were under pressure to cut down on the repair costs as it was close to call.

Sorry to have to say this but from what you say, you are in for a bit of a fight. You have to make the insurance company wish they'd scrapped it.

On reflection, you may be better off accepting a good offer on the car, or a suitable cash adjustment to pay for it's decrease in value due to the shoddy repairs.

If you get the latter, stick it into a high interest account, run your car into the ground and trade it when it will do you no further service, and use the extra cash to put towards another car.

Personally, if a car I owned was close to call, I would be encouraging the insurance company to write it off, so long as I received a good pay out for it, even if it was a great pre accident car. Emotional attachments to cars must be set aside at this stage.

These days it is not difficult to find good replacements, prices seem to be falling every minute because with the huge over production of cars on this planet, demand will always outstrip supply. In other words, it's a buyers market.

Faced with the choice of possibly having a badly repaired car to sell or trade-in in the future; or having a fisful of readies to go to the auction with and get something much better (with someone who knows cars if needed) - I know which I'd rather do.

H

A quick search on the Auto Trader website (left of screen) reviels mainly R reg Polos for sale privately at £2995 - didn't look too closely at trim levels etc.

However these may sell for anything down to £2500 or so by the time the haggling is over.

Personally if you could get £3K from the insurers for it, I'd take it.

If you could get £2000 as a value adjustment (it sounds as if thought its in a right mess) - worth a thought. Run it for as long as you want/can then use the £2000 plus interest towards your new one.

PG, suggest you have a look at this again and reach you r own conclusions, Remeber as well that the Auto Trader tends to have the more expensive cars in it. Local Free Ads papers tent to have cars in just as good condition, but cheaper.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

H
Sorry to hear about the shoddy job PG.

Good luck getting it fixed, keep us updated!

Blue
I'm sorry Pologirl but i've read your last few responses to anyone who thinks differently to yourself about the value and your resultant sarcastic responses but i think you need to stop thinking about this with your heart, and more with your head.

You fought for a repair and it turned out to have tainted the car (as many on the thread said).

You would have got £2500-£3000 rather than the nearer £4000 you prescribed (as many on the thread said).

At the end of the day a cars condition nowadays really only helps sellability - it does NOT put £500 on the value. Your car is a 1996 Polo - not a 1962 Ferrari GTO.

Shiny and clean makes not a jot to the valuing on an above average condition, because there will be other shiny and clean above average Polo's for sale, and if you carry on they will be £500 cheaper than yours and yours wont sell.

I agree with Miller. I dont understand how you think your car is going to be worth the same in one year with another years mileage on it. Yes i have done the math. No your sums dont add up.
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - Cheeky
Hear hear & well said Phoenicks.
PG It's no good moaning on about the state of your Polo now. You should have got rid whilst the going was good and and bought a newer and sturdier replacement. Look at the 100 odd replies (mostly helpful) that your thread has generated, and all the advice you failed to take heed...
Fair enough... everyone's entitled to an opinion, as I'm entitled to mine.

Just for the record though.. I'm not moaning... I'm just keeping everyone updated!

Think I've seen the last of my car :( - Vagelis
Hi there PoloGirl,

I've been reading this thread since its beginning and can say that you have taken this whole adventure rather well, and with a sense of humor that really helps in this sort of thing.

Since everyone's entitled to an opinion, here's mine: Get rid of this Polo ASAP! It has served you well, maybe saved you from injury, etc., but the more you fiddle with it, the more money you will lose!

If it were worth arround £3000 before the crash, whatever you do, it will be worth considerably less after the crash, no matter how well repaired. An experienced technician will always be able to tell if a car has crashed.

Besides, it won't ever be the same as before the crash...

Vagelis.
Think I've seen the last of my car :( - Welliesorter
PG It's no good moaning on about the state of your
Polo now.

Surely if the repair isn't up to standard PG is perfectly entitled to moan.

The purpose of repairing the car is to restore it to as close a state as possible to that before the accident.

It may be true that it'll never be quite the same again but it sounds as if the repair has fallen well short what she's entitled to expect.
Just an update...not a moan!

Took Polo back to the garage today and they've agreed to put right everything I listed (there were almost 30 things in the end and it's to have a second brand new door as the one they've fitted just isn't right). I went there expecting to have to argue, but even the estimator agreed that the QC was shocking and admitted that it's a bigger job than the insurance company thought and even gave me lots of helpful advice on claiming compensation from my insurer in case there were any extra charges that they (the insurance co) didn't want to pay.

He also gave strong hints that in his opinion, the car should have been written off, but the insurance company refused to do it.

Oh and to everyone who said why did I have the car repaired, why didn't I have it written off etc etc.... I wasn't given the option. I was simply told that the car was to be repaired. Maybe at the time I would still have fought for it to be repaired, but I was unaware that I could actually *ask* them to write it off, as some of you seem to be implying. Maybe I've learnt something or maybe I've misunderstood you. Whatever it is, I'm not too proud to admit when I may have made a slightly wrong decision, but I'm very attached to my Polo!

At the end of the day, as I think someone else on this forum has discovered this week, it's all very nice to have a nice car that's well built and shiney and everything, but it's even nicer to be able to sit at a PC and write about it, rather than be lying in a hospital bed. As time passes I'm becoming more philosophical about it and coming to terms with the fact that Polo is just a car after all! :-)
Hi PG,

Sorry, I thought you were given the option of having it repaired, I made the mistake of assuming that since you appeared keen on keeping it.

Did you get those photos off to the insurer like I suggested. This will strengthen your case.

Otherwise I suspect that the insurers amy just have to bite the bullet on this one and make sure you're happy.

I hope it all works out well for you.

Further advice may be sought from the ombudsmen if you need it.

Good luck!

H
Think I've seen the last of my car.Part1 - Dynamic Dave

Thread closed. Please see Vol 2. www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=16...4

DD.