Minimum bhp - top turkey
Hi all.

I'd be intersted to know whether other Back Roomers have a minimum bhp in mind when looking for a new car?

Doing 25k private miles and whisking one wife and baby around, my next car will be in the Vectra/Mondeo category, which have 127 and 130 bhp diesel engines respectively. I think that this is enough, but do others with more experience of diesel engines think so? I currently have a P reg 1.6 Astra Premier which would have about 90 bhp at a total guess?

I'd also be interested to know if there are other derv cars with higher bhp figures but which fall in the same price bracket. I know VW do a 150 bhp Golf - cue Sean?

Cheers all and have a safe weekend.

TT
Minimum bhp - Dan J
Hi TT. With that kind of mileage either a Vectra, Mondeo or Mazda6 would be a good choice with a diesel. Check that the 2.0DTI engine on the Vauxhall has had it's nasty oil consumption problem if you go down that route...

In response to your question, I never really had a "minimum" bhp in mind but each time I buy a car I never want something with less than what I have got. Almost seems like a step backwards! I would like something more efficient next time (Currently with a 2.2i Vectra) but anything with a smaller engine seems to have too little poke. Accordingly will almost def be going down the diesel route next time methinks...
Minimum bhp - teabelly
I think the most powerful diesel engine is the Alfa 2.4 jtd which in new 156s puts out 175 bhp. The 1.9 jtd that is also available puts out 140 bhp. The 2.4 can be chipped to around 200 without much bother. The older 2.4s put out 150 as standard.

BHP is not so much of an issue but drivability is more important. Having high bhp but a power band so narrow you are constantly gear changing makes for an unpleasant time. A car that picks up easily in any gear makes life much easier.

teabelly
Minimum bhp - CM
I think the most powerful diesel engine is the Alfa 2.4
jtd which in new 156s puts out 175 bhp. The 1.9
jtd that is also available puts out 140 bhp. The 2.4
can be chipped to around 200 without much bother. The older
2.4s put out 150 as standard.

The most powerful diesel engine (leaving out VWs 5 litre V10 and Audi's A8 3.3 and 4 litre units) is BMWs 3.0 litre unit which currently in the 3 series is 184bhp,and 193bhp in the 5 series and is shortly to be uprated to 214bhp
Minimum bhp - SjB {P}
I don't look at the power figure alone.

I look at the power and torque to weight figures, as well as the torque spread. My 'requirements' are at least 100kw per tonne, and 200NM per tonne, respectively.

The reason I choose kilowatts with which to measure power is because there is more than one 'BHP' standard, and manufacturers are sometimes crafty as to which one to use.
Minimum bhp - Vin {P}
I'd go for the higher torque figure rather than power. Torque = ooomph. It's what you feel when you put your foot down without thrashing your way down the gearbox, and it's what makes a car most driveable. All IMHO, of course.

V
Minimum bhp - LongDriver {P}
The Mazda6 2.0 diesel with 136ps is very good, from my experience.
Minimum bhp - jeds
Passat 130 bhp - excellent car and engine. Runs at about 50/52 mpg and very drivable.
Minimum bhp - NitroBurner
How about 500?
Minimum bhp - RogerL
SiB the variables which apply to horsepower also apply to kilowatts, it depends which standards are being used. The main ones are BHP (SAE) which is American, BHP (BSI) which is British and PS (DIN) which is German. They all convert to KW (SI) but are measured under different conditions. German PS are slightly less powerful than BHP. It's about time we got some benefit from the huge cost of EEC membership, which we might if they introduced an EN standard which car manufacturers/importers had to use.