MPG just halved-any ideas? - outkast
I hope someone can help here because this has got very expensive.
Coming back off my holls yesterday my trip computer was showing around 16/20 mpg instead of 29/35mpg ,i checked the range setting on a full tank and that was showing about 200 less miles than normal.
After running the car empty the trip computer was shown to be correct,I took the air filter out and this seemed to rectify the fault for about 20 mins then it returned
The engine seems to running ok its a carlton 3000 gsi
I would be interested to see what you all think
Cheers
MPG just halved-any ideas? - spikeyhead {p}
outkast,

This could be caused by almost anything, including a heavy right foot, but if the engine is running as normal and the air filter is ok, then perhaps a leak in the fuel system somewhere?

--
I read often, only post occaisionally
MPG just halved-any ideas? - Peter D
I assume the ECU light has not come on !!. The mpg is calculated by the pulse rate and period of the open fuel injector any leak before the injector would not effect the computor. Go and have the fast idle Co/Hydro Carbons checked. Is your exhaust note the same or has it changed ??. try a 0 to 60 mph, is it about right? Come BAck. Regards Peter.
Just re-read your text. Sounds like an Air Mass Sensor problem. Check connectors and any temperature sensors. Peter
MPG just halved-any ideas? - Hugo {P}
Just a thought.

Is it running rich? Check the valves.

H
Hugo, What are you on about "Check the valves" Explain !!!
Hugo, What are you on about "Check the valves"
Explain !!!

Woops, too much wine!

Sorry I meant "check the plugs"

If they are black, then you're probably running rich.

If so, check air filter air intake etc.

Good luck anyway

H
MPG just halved-any ideas? - terryb
Don't have a techie answer but could something have got damaged driving on to/off the ferry? Or vibrated loose if you used the tunnel?

If it suddenly started when you landed back in Blighty that would seem a possibility.
Terry
It was doing it from paris,driven it today and all seems well,cant explain it.Caon you test a air mass meter?
Yes but you i\'ll need to know the spec for your model i.e. the resistance of the wire and the heater if applicable. And you will need a good meter. If you have a Bosch Unit take it to a Bosch Service Centre and get them to test it. However I do not think this is you problem. Peter
MPG just halved-any ideas? - eMBe {P}
my trip computer was showing
around 16/20 mpg instead of 29/35mpg ,>>

Are you worried that you have a faulty trip computer?
or
Are you actually saying that your fuel consumption has really got that bad?
--
{P} = advertising my profile is ON. Add/View photos groups.msn.com/honestjohn/pictures
the consumption had dropped by about 200 miles a tankfull,but over the last few days it appears to have gone back to normal...very strange!!!
the consumption had dropped by about 200 miles a tankfull,but over
the last few days it appears to have gone back to
normal...very strange!!!

You may have been victim to a temorary blockage in your air intake.

It could have been anything like a leaf, or a wine lable left on those French roads!

I remember when my Pug had a garage service, the mechanic left the slip of paper that tells you how to fit the air filter in the filter. That caused no end of problems for a while. I took the air filter out just to check it for elimination and found it!

H