RE: Peugeot 306 Rear silencer - ShereKhan
Hi,
00W 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet
I've got an annoying rattle that seems to coming from the rear silencer area. I have taken the car to the garage to check the exhaust mountings and they can't find anything wrong.

Here are the symptoms:

When the car is cold, if a door is opened then closed. A metallic rattle can be heard at the rear of the car. I have found that the rattle doesn't happen if you hold the rear silencer tail pipe when a door is closed. The rattle only lasts for a few minutes when driving. It disappears after 5 mins driving. When the car is warm its fine. I thought it could be a caliper rattling. But I think its the exhaust. Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this. I was thinking of changing the rear silencer brackets. Thught about changing the the rear box; but it doesn't need changing. Besides which it will be a main dealer job (Express Fit) wouldn't trust the fast fit chains as they have done a bodge job too many times for me with my car exhausts. I had an Uno which ended up requiring a Uno Turbo exhaust as they didn't have anything else and couldn't obtain anything else that could fit!
306 2.0 SE Cabriolet
RE: Peugeot 306 Rear silencer - Dynamic Dave
From what you're describing, it sounds like loose baffles in the tailpipe. Once the exhaust gets hot and expands, they quieten down.
RE: Peugeot 306 Rear silencer - DL
....sounds like you've got an el-cheapo exhaust box there....
The exhaust is the original Peugeot. Its never been chanegd the mileage is presently 23k. I've been quoted £125 fitted for replacement from Peugeot. Fast fit chains don't seem to stock one for it. I've found one other company locally who would do a Timax for £5 less. However I think I have found the cause of the noise. It seems to be coming from the rubber mounting points. Maybe the rubber needs regreasing? Or just get new rubbers??
306 2.0 SE Cabriolet
Bite the bullet - fit a new silencer.
What's the point in changing the silencer when it functions perfectly. The fault is within the mounting. The mounting is probably no more than £5. Changing parts willy nilly is the attitude main dealers take. Which is ok if you wads of cash or someone else is going to cough up under a warranty claim.

Any YTS trainee can change parts but only good technicians can diagnose faults.

306 2.0 SE Cabriolet
Change the mountings then!

or if money is tight, grease the existing mounts.
RE: Peugeot 306 Rear silencer - pug_306_xsi_8v
hi lads my center silencer is making alot of noise.......if i dont change what could happen..........
RE: Peugeot 306 Rear silencer - Andrew-T
Are the heat shields secure?
The question is..."What sort of noise?"

--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....
Hi all,

The noise seems to have stopped several weeks after posting the initial message.

Anyway I thougt it may come back to haunt me.

In fact yesterday I think I may have discovered the source of the problem. The car was in the local Peugeot dealer for a 40k miles service (Actual mileage is 27k). Everything was reported as being as ok. Except that have advised that the centre baffle sounds as if it is broken internally. So is it possible that this metallic noise could have been coming from the centre baffle? I am intrigued that the noise started and stopped. In addition should I chnage the cenre piece as soon as possible or should I leave it till does go? I suspect that the centre is also a dealer only part as most of the fast fit places seem to only do the 1.8 model exhaust. Or should I just go for a stainless steel custom exhaust. By the way I don't mean one that makes loads of noise. I mean a sensible one that I won't need to change again. I'll probably keep the car for two years or so.

--
306 2.0 SE Cabriolet
I suggest you leave it as is.

It won't cause any harm, it'll just make the noise.

Worst case scenario? The exhaust could become blocked, but that would be comparatively rare.

--
groups.msn.com/honestjohn - Pictures say a thousand words.....