Urgent Help! Pug 306 Starting Problems - Pug306xldt
Hi,

I have a peugeot 306 1.9 xldt the problem I am having is when I don't use the car for 1 day but use it the next day it will only start after several turns of the key, it won't start straight away. But once its started it runs well and starts ok. The battery has plenty of power and doesn't go flat whilst trying to start it.

Please can you tell me what could be wrong?

Pug306xldt

Urgent Help! Pug 306 Starting Problems - Simon
Well the first place I would start would be by testing/changing the glow plugs. It sounds like a classic knackered glow plug situation.
Hi,

Thank you. will I be able to tell if they are knackered just by looking at them or not?

Pug306xldt
Urgent Help! Pug 306 Starting Problems - Hairyharry
Check fast idle switch is being activated cable may need adjusting. Look at pump for cable running parallel to throttle cable - when engine is cold should be taunt enough to throw electrical switch to which it is attached as engine warms goes slack and releases switch.
Hi,

Thank you for your help.

Pug306xldt
Urgent Help! Pug 306 Starting Problems - Vaughan
Hi - Simon is exactly right. It is 99% certain that you have a pink fluffy diced glow-plug or two. The problem will exacerbate itself on cold days. It\'s hard to tell by looking at them, but you can tell by removing them and running a 12V supply through them - they should heat up after a few seconds if good (hold them by the end in a thick cloth because they\'re pink fluffy dice hot!!). A new set from Halfords is not much and if you are half-technically-minded you can change them in an hour or so.

cheers
Vaughan
Urgent Help! Pug 306 Starting Problems - Dynamic Dave
Vaughan,

The swear filter works fine. There is no need to test it. Thankyou.

I see that you are a new member - welcome, but for future reference, please mind your language.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=12...3

--
Dynamic Dave
Back Room Moderator

mailto:dave_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Urgent Help! Pug 306 Starting Problems - Vaughan
My apologies, Dave and the rest of the gang. Noted for future reference.

Vaughan H
Urgent Help! Pug 306 Starting Problems - RichardW
Pug

I'd check for a fuel leak before trying the glow plugs - next time it has stood for a while, open the bonnet and give the fuel primer a few pumps until it feels a bit hard. If it now starts more easily, you probably have a leak rather knackered glowplugs. No change, and you are probably looking at the plugs.

RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Hi,

Could this be the cause to my pug not starting after being left for a day or more.

Underneath where the intercooler sits a gasket I think has gone so its losing either oil or diesel I have had the pipes replaced as they where losing diesel, but its still losing something as I haven\'t had the gasket replaced.

Could this be the cause and what is this thing called which sits underneath the intercooler and would it be losing oil or diesel from this part.

Pug306xldt
Hi,

Thank you for all your help.

I am going to buy a new set of glow plugs as they have never been replaced since I have had the car so its about time I brought some new ones.

Thank again to you all :-)

Pug306xldt
Pug 306 Still Has Starting Problem - Pug306xldt
Hi,

I have replaced the glow plugs with new glow plugs, and still when I leave the car a day or two without starting, it takes about several turns of the key before it will start.

What could be wrong.

Pug306xldt
Pug 306 Still Has Starting Problem - Dan G
I seem to remember you mentioning a leak of oil under the car in a previous link. If diesel is leaking in the system, then it's likely that air is getting in the system and so the engine won't start if left for a period (without many turns). You can confirm this by bleeding the fuel filter before you start the car next time (if it's been standing for a while). Or you could just fix the leak ..
Pug 306 Still Has Starting Problem - Pug306xldt
Hi,

Last Saturday I had new glow plugs and a new rocker cover gasket which was leaking loads of oil, this has now stopped leaking and I have had new diesel pipes replaced not so long ago.

It has stopped leaking diesel since I have had the new pipes.

And after have these new bits still doesn't want to start stright away.

What else could be causing this problem.

Pug306xldt
Pug 306 Still Has Starting Problem - DL
I'd like to see the results of a compression test. If these were within 10% of each other I'd then look for air leaks into the fuel system. Examine every connection and check for frayed/split hoses.
Help! - Pug306xldt
Hi,

My M/reg Peugeot 306 1.9 turbo diesel finds its difficult to start when left for a short period of time.

I have changed the glow plugs and still hasn\'t made any difference, I have checked all pipes for splits or frays, but they all seem ok just incase air was getting into the fuel system.

Which pipes should I be checking for splits or frays which can cause air to get into the fuel system?

Thanks

Tigertim

Moved to a previous question of yours to avoid repetition as all related. ie, Same Pug, same starting problems. DD.
Help! - DL
All of the fuel delivery and return pipes including the leak-off pipes on the fuel injectors.

Replace the fuel filter - it could have a damaged seal (which is integral with the filter btw)